Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trekkies 2

Options
  • 22-03-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here see it on RTE 2 last night? It was very good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FatBoyKriss

so so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Needs more Gabriel Köerner. :D
    Gabriel_Koerner,_Trekkies.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Needs more Gabriel Köerner. :D
    Gabriel_Koerner,_Trekkies.jpg

With all due respect to the chap, he came across as one class-A Trek geek on that show :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I hope the mod does not mind me bumping this.

I seen this for the first time last week. Some of the fans are bizarre. Particularly the Spiner fans, people who are devoted to Data.

It was interesting to see the woman wearing a Starfleet Uniform to Jury duty and the controversy it caused.

It was a mixture of being extremely funny and bizarre. There was a very touching moment when James Doohan corresponded with a suicidal person and saved their life by insuring they went to Trek conventions. When the person stopped, it looked like Scotty thought the worst, but 8 years later got a letter off the suicidal person saying everything is ok and they got a masters in electronic engineering. Was probably the highlight of it for me.

The clip of what I talked about above.

• Advertisement

I think thats Trekkies 1 is it not? Agreed re that clip of Doohan, there was a great one with Deforest Kelly too with the photo of the fan :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think thats Trekkies 1 is it not? Agreed re that clip of Doohan, there was a great one with Deforest Kelly too with the photo of the fan :D

Will have to check out the second one so, it is the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Never heard of these documentaries. Cant wait to watch em now! Thanks! :)

Never heard of these documentaries. Cant wait to watch em now! Thanks! :)

Your in for a treat, a giggle, a cringe, & some smiles :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there'll be quite a lot more than one cringe :)

• Advertisement

there'll be quite a lot more than one cringe :)

Touche good sir, it's basically a cringe fest in that way only a 90s cheese fest can be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, it's fantastic to watch though

I remember agreeing with the jury duty uniform lady when she was talking about the experience, it was ridiculous and i'd have been embarrassed for her if I was there but it's a free country.. why the hell not.

some of the people in it though... the religious devotion star trek inspires in some people frightens me a little bit. It's a nice modern look at how some of the major religions of the world probably started out, it's just more than a bit ironic given the aggressively secular nature of the trek universe.

Trailer for Trekkies 1

Trekkies 2 Trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Your in for a treat, a giggle, a cringe, & some smiles :)

watched both of them yesterday. LOved them!!! HIlarious in parts, it had me laughing hysterically! Very cringeworthy in parts too, but I was suprised by how moving it was in the second one in particular - like when mulgrew or doohan talked about how the franchise was a lifeline to those who were dying, or in a really dark place!

Most of the fans in the documentary wore very dodgy starfleet replica uniforms.

As a fan, I wouldnt want a uniform unless it looked exactly as it did in the show/film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

With all due respect to the chap, he came across as one class-A Trek geek on that show :D

True although he's doing well out of it, irc he was VFX lead on Enterprise.

True although he's doing well out of it, irc he was VFX lead on Enterprise.

Yeah I had the notion in my head he ended up working on Star Trek somehow...& to be fair, his little Nemesis project animation was very cool. To think that was done years & years ago...I wouldn't have a clue even with todays modern software.

Advertisement