Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at Pearse Station, severe disruption

Options
  • 06-06-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

On a dart at grand canal now, delayed getting into Pearse because of an 'incident', apparently there'll be severe disruption for the rest of the evening.
    Was anyone there? What happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

On RUI
    Someone has been struck by a DART at Pearse. Trains stopped in both directions, ambulance and fire brigade in attendance. Pantograph down and passengers being detrained.
    http://railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=14348

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maccy

I was on the train - we had to walk back to Tara. Seemed serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

maccy wrote: »
    I was on the train - we had to walk back to Tara. Seemed serious.

Along the tracks? God that does sound serious if they emptied onto the line. Was the train just outside Pearse at the time? I hope the poor person is ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I don't if any other boardsies were on this DART to Bray tonight. My mum and I was on the fifth carriage as this incident took place. Soon as the very first carriage entered Pearse; the emergency horn on top of it went solidly loud for about five seconds. After that, the train had subsequently ground to a halt and couldn't go any further.

http://twitter.com/#!/irishrail

I understand that there were about 3 groups of paramedics were at the scene of the incident. They consisted of two ambulances from Dublin Fire Brigade and the HSE. Advanced Paramedics were possibly called in between. I had seen the two ambulances which were there for definite.

The train had a total of six carriages long, so a medium sized train was used. I had just got in the train which left Tara Street at around 7:30pm. My total time on the train only lasted 20 minutes which accounted for 4 minutes waiting time and the remaining sixteen minutes being on the DART and walking back to Tara Street.

All the passengers had to a full scale evacuation of the train itself between Tara Street and Pearse Station. An IE staff member came up towards the back of it through the drivers cab. He notified all of us that we had to be evacuated from the very last carriage and walk back on the tracks to Tara Street. All passengers had to be evacuated through every second carriage through a single file.

The DART driver had gave us a initial update in which his voice sounded tense, saying it was caused by problems with the signals. Soon I had seen from the paramedics arriving, passengers walking to Tara Street on the tracks, the lights and displays being switched off inside the DART; I knew something was definitely up with this train.

A IE staff member luckily had a key to let all the passengers through the driver's cab.

As soon both my mum and myself left Tara Street, we luckily got a free journey down to Blackrock on the 7 bus from O' Connell Bridge. DB were still honoring all rail tickets because of the incident.

Tonight was the first ever occasion for both my mum and myself to get a evacuated off a DART of all things.

Nothing ever serious as ever happened before. I don't think it will happen for a long time again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

what exactly was the incident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

I just arrived at the platform when the incident happened. I had missed my train northbound to Drogheda by literally a few seconds, when that train had cleared the platform, I could hear roaring & shouting from the other platform & there was a young girl aged between 15 & 18, intoxicated, on the tracks.
    I don't know how she got there. The Dart was coming from Tara St & despite the drivers best efforts he could'nt stop fully in time. I turned away at impact, no way I wanted to witness that. As you can imagine, lots of people in shock & distressed. I just hope & pray the poor girl is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

someone get hit by a train

see here for a more useful account:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056662451

Someone on the train had said that the person may have fell off the platform. I think he saw the victim going into one of the ambulances this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Saw on Twitter earlier that it wasn't fatal. Just hope the poor girl isn't permanently maimed or anything :(
    https://twitter.com/kevinjpurcell/status/210454041413697536

Doesn't seem like it was a suicide either, seems more just that she might have been a bit pissed and fallen off the edge of the platform?

Is it bad that every time I hear talk of "an incident" on an Irish train line, my brain pretty much automatically translates it as "someone tried to commit suicide"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

there's a few threads around to do with lots of kids being pissed on the DART / around RDS for some concert or other. I would assume it was drinking related to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Saw on Twitter earlier that it wasn't fatal. Just hope the poor girl isn't permanently maimed or anything :(
    https://twitter.com/kevinjpurcell/status/210454041413697536

Doesn't seem like it was a suicide either, seems more just that she might have been a bit pissed and fallen off the edge of the platform?

Is it bad that every time I hear talk of "an incident" on an Irish train line, my brain pretty much automatically translates it as "someone tried to commit suicide"?

I was there waiting on the North bound side, seen a young girl climb down off the platform and stand in front of the DART with her hands out to the sides, it looked intentional to me.

Absolutely tragic that any person would feel so low as to think suicide was their only option, I hope the poor girl is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Is there no staff around in a busy city centre station to stop someone who was drunk getting access to and remaining on a platform?

I seen it and it wasn't a drunk person who fell onto the tracks, the girl intentionally climbed down and stood in front of the DART with her hands out to the sides waiting to get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AdsKen

I was there and saw the whole thing, there was loads of young people on their way to the Deadmau5 gig in the RDS but the person who stood in front of the DART was not one of them, she seemed to me to be in her 30's/40's, rail workers were walking up and telling her to move back as she was standing on the edge of the platform, then as the DART came over the bridge she jumped down onto the tracks and held her arms out, then i looked away. The station was then evacuated. Was pretty intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Christophe82

I was there too. The woman walked with her arms outstretched towards the train. She turned around just before she was hit. I did not see one person stay in the station who knew her. There was nothing a rail worker could do without putting their own life at risk. She seemed intent on taking her own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

God, awful all round for staff, witnesses and the woman herself
    I hope she can get the help she needs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Truly awful stuff. I heard she did survive - is this accurate? I hope she did, her injuries are not too bad & that she gets the help she needs. Thoughts are also with the poor driver who had to go home to his family after that & to those unfortunate to have witnessed the incident

Very brief article outlined by journal.ie here. Only one I have found so far.

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-rail-services-resume-following-suspension-477243-Jun2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-rail-services-resume-following-suspension-477243-Jun2012/

Outside of noting the disruption you very rarely see information about these incidents in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads reorganised. This thread for matters relating directly to the incident only.

There is a new comment from one the passengers on the platform saying the woman that did the suicide attempt looked to be in her 20's.

This is not for the faint hearted. Apparently; the same woman who got hit by the DART had suffered an extensive compound skull fracture. There is now probably no hope in getting this woman fully better.

How shocking is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I feel for the train driver in this. No matter what your reasons are if you are going to take your own life then dont involve anyone else.

I hope the train driver is ok and will get through the shock of this and be able to get back to work soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KenW123

My wife witnessed the incident and is still very distressed. It seems the impact didn't kill the poor unfortunate. Her screams were still heard in the station about 30 mins after the incident. Does anyone know if she survived?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I was there waiting at the platform The woman looked in her 20s and CIE staff previously told her off over standing to close to the platform edge. Then a DART came over the bridge, she climbed down of the platform onto the track and walked toward the train with arms outstretched.People were shouting at her to get out of the way. THe driver blasted the horn when he she saw her and the brakes came on but it was no use. Just before impact she turned around. I estimate a speed at impact of about 35mph. The aftermath was horrific – the woman was not killed immediately and there was still some movement. It looked like she was having some sort of a seizure on the track after the massive head injuries she suffered – it looked like an extensive compound skull fracture from what I saw. If she survives, i fear there will be very significant disabilities.

Comment from the journal article. Not nice stuff to be honest.

Its especially hard on the driver. A relation of mine was the driver of the intercity train back in Febuary and is still coming to terms with it. Although that event was at mainline speeds and was over a lot quicker it's still horribly hard on the driver to be indirectly related to someones death.

Advertisement