Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I loved it. It lived up to my expectations which few movies do. I especially loved all the little references throughout. Alien and Aliens are right up the top of my favourite movies list and Prometheus fits in very nicely, complimenting them. As has been mentioned, there are a few loose ends that aren't dealt with, pretty basic stuff which is a bit of a niggle. Overall, a really cool uneasy/creepy vibe from it, very much in the mould of Alien, with a healthy dose of Aliens thrown in. And it brings elements of its own. Not a classic in its own right but a more than worthy companion piece to the original films.

There's definitely a lot of discussion to be had which I'm looking forward to!

I have no idea how the movie would be received by someone going in cold, unfamiliar with the Alien universe, and seeing it as a standalone film. But as an Alien fan I really recommend this movie. Lots of questions answered and new elements added in such a way as to expand the universe in a positive way. I felt contented anyway after months (years?) of anticipation.

Plus, it looks AMAZING.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i dont think many questions were answered at all, but i should have expected that since damon lindelof co-wrote the script. bar david, none of the characters are interesting in any way. the film feels rushed and the set pieces just didn't deliver. yes, the film looked great and 3d was impressive but overall it's an above average sci-fi flick. the final act is just lame and almost b-movie levels of garbage. they reduce the space jockeys, the creators of mankind, the mindless mute thugs who throw people across rooms. in my opinion, this film has NOTHING on the first 2 alien films (which it will inevitably be compared to)- no real sense of tension, danger or impending doom. those movies were made by their atmosphere and this movie does not succeed in emulating that. right now im feeling very disappointed by this after looking forward to it for well over a year. maybe ill feel differently tomorrow after some sleep. doubtful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Just got back from midnight screening and am disappointed. Starts off well and has a few good moments but as it progressed that nagging sense of "This is weak sauce" grew and grew. Bit of a heartbreaker cos I was waiting for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just back from the midnight screening in Cineworld (did anyone else find it horribly hot? Was like a sauna). I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed by this movie. I liked it, but Alien/Aliens it aint.

As with everything Ridley Scott does, it looks amazing, although I could take or leave the 3D. Great performance by Fassbender - as always - as the unnerving android. The film has lots of creative touches in regards to the technology on show and it's a rare treat to see big budget adult sci-fi on the big screen. While the film has plenty of problems, it is littered with great moments and special mention has to go to a mind blowingly good scene involving a medical unit towards the end of the second act. Truly great stuff.

The film suffers because it fails to create enough tension and just isn't scary enough. While Alien was quite a simple film executed and designed brilliantly, Prometheus feels overly clunky and the plot is baggy to say the least. It's at its best during the more horror focused scenes but loses it's way often, particularly in the final third. The sheer unprofessionalism and stupidity of the crew members - who are on what is a very important and expensive mission - really annoyed me. They basically go around poking everything in sight. And Charlize Theron's character is a bit of a non-entity. Also, why have Guy Pearse play the old man? Why not just get an older acter? Bizarre.

Alien and Aliens are iconic because they features some of the best monsters in the history of cinema. Prometheus lacks a great monster and I think that is a major problem with it. Overall, an enjoyable and visually stunning sci-fi movie, but not without plenty of issues. Alien it aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Few spoilers there lads, I know technically the film is released now but the vast majority won't have seen it so spoiler tags over big plot points wouldn't go amiss imo.

Just back from it now and have to echo the sentiments of a few of the others. It wasn't terrible, it was just very underwhelming and a bit of a mess. Technically it's gorgeous but the whole film just felt flat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Sounds like a we got a TURKEY on our hands :pac:

I remember back in the day, Alien Ressurection, how great it looked an all that blah blah, you gotta see it, looks amazing, so stylish, a great addition to the franchise, more than holds its own against the classics, yet there were also the few reviewers who were not so keen.

Over a decade on, the few turned into the majority, its now regarded as the worst in the franchise, without seeing Promethius and reading between the lines, the tell tale signs are already inscribed in stone.

Hey but look on the bright side everyone, we still got a glut of great films to look forward to this year, Bond, Spiderman, Batman to name a few.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

very underwhelming and a bit of a mess.

Definitely waiting for the DVD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I will be going to see it later but I w'ont be expecting another Alien, as there is no such thing ?

FlashD wrote: »
    Sounds like a we got a TURKEY on our hands :pac:

I remember back in the day, Alien Ressurection, how great it looked an all that blah blah, you gotta see it, looks amazing, so stylish, a great addition to the franchise, more than holds its own against the classics, yet there were also the few reviewers who were not so keen.

Over a decade on, the few turned into the majority, its now regarded as the worst in the franchise, without seeing Promethius and reading between the lines, the tell tale signs are already inscribed in stone.

Hey but look on the bright side everyone, we still got a glut of great films to look forward to this year, Bond, Spiderman, Batman to name a few.:)

It's much much better than Alien Ressurection. It lacks focus though, and as many reviews have said, at times you're not sure what story the film is trying to tell.

This Empire review is bang on I reckon: http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137119

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

imdb has it at 9/10 .... pretty encouraging..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really enjoyed it.
    Not without it's flaws biggest of which is its not scary enough.
    Still a great movie and well worth seeing.
    Calling it a turkey is just trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Definitely waiting for the DVD now.

why would you wait for a movie that despite mixed reviews is universally being creidted for being stunning looking to watch at home? surely the biggest screen possible would be the place to see something that looks as good visually as this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Went to the midnight show. Had to have a sleep on it to form a proper opinion.

Prometheus wasn't bad, but it wasn't even close to the film it should have been. I wanted to be blown away and walk out saying "That was fantastic". Instead I got a film that looked very good and added some okay stuff to the Alien mythology, but overall deserved the Empire 3/5 score at most.

Micheal Fassbender is fantastic though and deserves an extra star all for himself. Ridley Scott can't have it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Caved in last night and went to the midnight showing in my local cinema. As with other posters here, I was left a little underwhelmed by the whole thing. It's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination (visually, it's stunning) but it does feel slightly rushed in parts with events taking place at a very fast pace and very little reasoning given for some of the actions of one particular crew member.

Plus, now with the benefit of hindsight, all those trailers that were put out before this was released have sort of worked against the movie IMHO. While I was watching it I realised how much of the actual plot was given away in the various trailers (teasers, international etc) that were released.
    I thought it was interesting albeit poorly executed, the way they have tried to take the "Alien" mythology in another direction and not just down the facehugger/xenomorph route. But having said that I can't see another chapter in this particular branch of the story if the numbers don't add up.
    . Ah well, lets hope TDKR lives up to it's growing hype :D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

jcf wrote: »
    imdb has it at 9/10 .... pretty encouraging..

Indiana Jones 4 had a 9/10 rating for a few weeks on IMDB when it was initially released.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Calling it a turkey is just trolling

It has already started,

Many have this film built up so huge in their heads, that they can't understand how it could be failure, it comes from an excellent marketing campaign drip feeding the public and film media to believe that this was somehow going to be some amazing masterpiece.

Based on what I have read to date in the last 2 days, this has the makings of a turkey. As a huge Aliens fan, i'm disappointed but ok with that.

But some fans are completely living in dream land, you could butter bread and stamp Promethius on it and all of a sudden its a classic..

.....Eh no! Get real its not.

Don't defend the indefensible.

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Indiana Jones 4 had a 9/10 rating for a few weeks on IMDB when it was initially released.

...and lets be honest that was the ultimate turkey.

It has already started,

Many have this film built up so huge in their heads, that they can't understand how it could be failure, it comes from an excellent marketing campaign drip feeding the public and film media to believe that this was somehow going to be some amazing masterpiece.

Based on what I have read to date, this has the makings of a turkey. As a huge Aliens fan, i'm disappointed but ok with that.

But some fans are completely living in dream land, you could butter bread and stamp Promethius on it and all of a sudden its a classic..

Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself until you've actually seen it? I'm telling you - it's not a turkey. There's too much good stuff in it to call it a flatout failure. Nowhere near as good as Alien or Aliens, but significantly better than Alien 3 and light-years above Alien Resurrection.

Saw it last night and while I enjoyed it - it had some incredible set pieces, a decent amount of gore, without stepping overboard, solid acting and excellent CGi, one thing slightly confused me -
    Was it or was it not the prequel to Alien?
    When they first entered the room with all the vases, they see a mural on the wall and in the middle of this, is what distinctly looks like an Alien. Hell, even at the end, the creature that came out of the Engineer's stomach, looked almost identical to the xenomorphs.

Yes, the third act also somewhat let the movie down.. more so because I genuinely hate most movies that point towards there being a sequel and this did glaringly. We all know Scott's position on them, which means that if there is one, then it'll be directed by someone else.

It has already started,

Based on what I have read to date in the last 2 days, this has the makings of a turkey. As a huge Aliens fan, i'm disappointed but ok with that.

I always trash movies I havent even seen, its fun.

any reviews I've read say its solid but underwhelming, given the marketing and hype thats disappointing but I'll see it for myself before saying its a failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Going to see it later, but as I said in earlier posts I'm vary wary of films that are hugely hyped before they are released, as they tend to turn out to be really disappointing, I watched one trailer instead and ignored all the multiple bits and pieces that were released and that people on here were analysing every frame of.

Tusky wrote: »
    Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself until you've actually seen it? I'm telling you - it's not a turkey. There's too much good stuff in it to call it a flatout failure. Nowhere near as good as Alien or Aliens, but significantly better than Alien 3 and light-years above Alien Resurrection.

HEY! did you read my post, I said it had the makings of a turkey.

This is a film forum and this is my opinion.

Do we all have to conform to what you think or something. :mad:

HEY! did you read my post, I said it had the makings of a turkey.

This is a film forum and this is my opinion.

Do we all have to conform to what you think or something. :mad:

you havent even seen it :confused: you're basing your opinion on what exactly? mixed reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Surely a turkey would need to have bad reviews? I've not seen a totally bad review yet - just a bunch saying that it wasn't what it could have been.

Indy 4 was a turkey. This seems to be just a disappointment.

Saw it last night and while I enjoyed it - it had some incredible set pieces, a decent amount of gore, without stepping overboard, solid acting and excellent CGi, one thing slightly confused me -
    When they first entered the room with all the vases, they see a mural on the wall and in the middle of this, is what distinctly looks like an Alien. Hell, even at the end, the creature that came out of the Engineer's stomach, looked almost identical to the xenomorphs.

Yes, the third act also somewhat let the movie down.. more so because I genuinely hate most movies that point towards there being a sequel and this did glaringly. We all know Scott's position on them, which means that if there is one, then it'll be directed by someone else.

In relation to your first question - yes! Of course it is.

krudler wrote: »
    you havent even seen it :confused: you're basing your opinion on what exactly? mixed reviews?

Yeah man, pretty much mixed reviews,

I have just found in the past something stellar or solid will normally sweep the board with maybe a couple of average reviews here and there but so far this is just pulling in average reviews all round which is really disappointing.

Tusky wrote: »
    In relation to your first question - yes! Of course it is.
    Did they not come out a few months ago and announce that they changed their minds about it being a true prequel but instead make it's own completely standalone movie?

I have just found in the past something stellar or solid will normally sweep the board with maybe a couple of average reviews here and there but so far this is just pulling in average reviews all round which is really disappointing.

But that doesn't make it a turkey. Unfortunately Prometheus was always going to be compared to Alien/Aliens and, if you ask me, that is something most movies wouldn't be able to stand up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Not sure if it was a direct prequel. The planet in Prometheus was LV-22 while the planet in Alien where they find the ship is LV 426

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So if the reviews are average then how can it be a turkey?

• Advertisement

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Now sure if it was a direct prequel. The planet in Prometheus was LV-22 while the planet in Alien where they find the ship is LV 426
    My thought on that is that the planet they discovered could have been whatever planet she had flown to

Advertisement