Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to wear professional team gear..?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

What about sportive jerseys? Can you wear those in races?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

Jawgap wrote: »
    Seconded.

I further propose there be a sub-forum of the Fred Forum for the herd of MAMILs - we're like the widebeest of the cycling world - ugly as f&ck on our own, but quite impressive in large groups:)

I'm glad that no matter how terribly I age I will never qualify as a MAMiL ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Wow.... guess I went and opened a massive can of worms.....!
    Some interesting responses though and in conclusion, I am still going to wear my Skil Shimano jersey and shorts while riding a Felt...... albeit a Garmin Felt..... oops...! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

irish-stew wrote: »
    Well I have done Ditching, Truskmore (the paved part), and Barnsmore Gap (bothsides), all without dismounting.
    :p
    Downhill? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm glad that no matter how terribly I age I will never qualify as a MAMiL ;)

It's inevitable -

darth-vader-fat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Asics Gel trainers, Longford GAA shorts and any yellow cycling jersey is my gear of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    What about sportive jerseys? Can you wear those in races?

In triathlons, sure.

Asics Gel trainers, Longford GAA shorts and any yellow cycling jersey is my gear of choice.

I'm still disgusted than you won Bohermeen with hairy legs. You bring shame on the sport.

You will be ok as long as you don't wear any of these colours.

Race Overall Points KOM sprints young
    Vuelta orange, white, yellow, gold, red blue green red
    Giro pink mauve, red green, blue white
    TDF yellow White + red dots red white
    Paris Nice blue + gold, yellow, green, yellow + orange, white, green, rose, yellow, pink + purple, green + white yellow + red, white + purple, yellow + blue, blue, white + red dots
    Dauphine Libere yellow Red + white dots green

I might have missed a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

206954.png
    I bought this jersey as I like Fabian Cancellara and thought the jersey looked good. I will also continue to wear it when I want.

I think the comment made about wearing your club jersey is good as local business' paid money to have their names on them and they should be supported along with your club but I'm not with a club, so will continue to wear what I want.

Off to the Fred section with me!

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's inevitable -

M iddle
    A ged
    M en
    i n
    L ycra

Yeah it's the third one that saves me :P

p.s. - can women be "Freds"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Fender76 wrote: »
    Wow.... guess I went and opened a massive can of worms.....!
    Some interesting responses though and in conclusion, I am still going to wear my Skil Shimano jersey and shorts while riding a Felt...... albeit a Garmin Felt..... oops...! :rolleyes:

Like everything else it's all down to opinion only and none of us speak on behalf of "the cycling community". It comes down to couple of questions, in nice and simple black and white:

Which type of fan you are?

This:

muur-fans-banner.jpg

or this:

tour-fans.jpg

Who's your hero?

This kind of guy:

Oakley-Lance-Armstrong3.jpg

or this kind of guy:

tumblr_m21v7bBXiF1qdw1kro1_500.jpg

What kind of weather to you decide to go for a ride in?

This:

Image-4760084-117873404-2-WebSmall_0_9d6b713dda79c663448de0144f3a020d_1

or this:

tourdefrance_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

In either case you're a cycling fan or cyclist, it's just that one is better more committed and dedicated than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Only after expensive Wilma to Fred surgery.

Are you a Guard........
    M iddle
    A ged
    M en
    i n
    L ycra

Yeah it's the third one that saves me :P

Yes, although I think the UCI-approved term is Freda (Fredette is considered sexist).

Clearly they can't be MAMILs - MAWILs or MALILs doesn't sound right - maybe MAGILs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I wear an Astana top because it only cost me €16

Value for money > Fashion

:cool:

(It goes with my Specialized bike too)

just looked it up and Wikipedia says the women are Wilma or Doris ... es.

I guess I qualify as one since I'm not a racer, just a tourer, and pretty unfit at that even with all me gear on.

I reallyreally like the look of this year's anpost cycling gear but it's too expensive otherwise I'd've bought it >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

just looked it up and Wikipedia says the women are Wilma or Doris ... es.

I guess I qualify as one since I'm not a racer, just a tourer, and pretty unfit at that even with all me gear on.

I reallyreally like the look of this year's anpost cycling gear but it's too expensive otherwise I'd've bought it >_>

Tourer's are a breed unto themselves. They can do and wear whatever the hell they want.

Do you cycle in sandals like proper tourers?

^ with black socks

no! I have clipless pedals and shoes.

I also tend to wear either my club gear (leisurecycling.ie) or jerseys with designs I like on them. And plain black cycling shorts/tights.

I just got some bib shorts in the mail yesterday, I'm super excited, they're pearl izumi droptail bibs meaning you can wear them on long tour rides and answer natures' call in 'em without taking everything off :D

but yeah, I personally think you should be able to wear whatever you want--but not wanting to look like a poser does keep me from buying certain kit DX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I wear my Boards Gear ALL the time. Even more so now that I know it makes ROK ON cringe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

daragh_ wrote: »
    I wear my Boards Gear ALL the time. Even more so now that I know it makes ROK ON cringe. :D

except for last sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

What about an old Green Giro jersey now they've replaced it with blue? or should i just change my name to Matthew Lloyd ..... although i think my climbing (or lack there of would give me away)

I also got slagged by a cyclist for wearing the aforemention green jersey by a fella who was wearing a lampre rainbow jersey.... one of the few times in my life i was speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

In terms of putting money back into the sport, people pay my club good money to sponsor us, so I try and wear the jersey as often as possible. Much better that money goes to a local club than to some skinny eejits from Luxembourg.

In the spirit of the above post I commuted in my club gear today. :D

Farnese Vini kit would be great for commuting.

farnese_vini_2012_vigilia_giro01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Tour, Points, Mountains and World Champ jerseys are 100% out.

Bernard Hinault said that it makes him feel physically sick to see amateurs huffing and puffing up hills while wearing replica yellow jerseys. That's good enough for me.

happytramp wrote: »
    Tour, Points, Mountains and World Champ jerseys are 100% out.

Bernard Hinault said that it makes him feel physically sick to see amateurs huffing and puffing up hills while wearing replica yellow jerseys. That's good enough for me.

I think exceptions should be made for people over 120kg who wear the polka dot jersey as an ironic statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I ordered Subaru/trek replica jersey/shorts but have a Ridley BUT i drive a Subaru legacy so i'm sort of covered...arent I???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I just got some bib shorts in the mail yesterday, I'm super excited, they're pearl izumi droptail bibs meaning you can wear them on long tour rides and answer natures' call in 'em without taking everything off :D

Hmmm, ladies drop-tail shorts sound intriguing :p

How secure is the tail; you really wouldn't want mid-peloton deployment :eek:

• Advertisement

el tel wrote: »
    Hmmm, ladies drop-tail shorts sound intriguing :p

How secure is the tail; you really wouldn't want mid-peloton deployment :eek:

Tried them on yesterday; you have to pull them forward and squat in order for anything to happen... can't come off when you're in any sort of cycling position :)

Advertisement