Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PublicRepresentative.com

• 26-05-2012 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just did this site quickly enough. What ye think?

http://publicrepresentative.com/

The more observant among you will notice that I lazily stuck with the Twitter Bootstrap default design :p

It's my first responsive site too.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 twimkat

I think the form works greats. I like how quick it is. Very simple but functionality-wise it's great. If you're just looking for feedback on how responsive it is I couldn't find any fault with it.

The only thing I'd change is the look. Maybe a little more colour or a graphic logo. Maybe frame the page giving it a max width and centre it - stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

It's great.

As the previous poster said, it's a little bland at the moment, but you're focusing on getting the functionality down first, and you've got that.

Does the data automatically update from some source, or is it reliant on you to make the changes? If it autoupdates (i.e. after by-elections etc) that would be really cool.

Great work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks! :)

I know it looks a bit bland, I'll give it a proper design when I get a chance. Just thought the functionality was simple enough and was surprised that the domain was available, so threw it online before heading on holidays earlier in the week! :D Thought I'd be cheeky and email the link and a spiel to Joe Duffy, Matt Cooper, Newstalk, etc., and maybe get a mention, but none of them even visited the site :p

The data isn't updated automatically, no. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be available in one location, hence my motivation for the site! I got most of the info from a couple of spreadsheets I found on Oireachtas.ie, but they just seem to be uploaded in an ad-hoc manner, I don't think I could retrieve the info automatically.

And when I get around to looking at the local councillors, MEPs, etc., these seem to be all over the shop, if even publicly available at all... I'll have to do it manually, or run a few scripts to upload them in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Interesting.

Maybe you could have a crowd updated page. Pumps.ie do something like that for petrol prices, not too sure if it'll work but it should reduce your workload come election time!

Maybe with a handful of moderators who can "lock in" an update when it's proven correct.

An archive of the data would be cool too. Basically, another drop down menu to select a year other than the present year.

Thanks for the suggestions! For now I don't really want to complicate it too much, so I'll probably stick with updating it myself. I'll see can someone in the Oireachtas IT staff give me anything useful to lessen the workload.

I'm not sure what route to take for councils and European Parliament... The councils are all independent, so I gather there's nowhere keeping a database of all of them. Will probably try contact all the councils too to see if they have a spreadsheet or something that they update.

I might try to add some kind of "verified" / verification functionality, for details that have been confirmed, or that a response was received from. Dunno if I'll do that myself or make it a community thing.

If anyone fancies giving it a plug on their blog or Twitter or somethin, that'd be swell ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Twitter bootstrap...

As far as i know its responsive out of the box :rolleyes:

The media queries are set up, but I need to add the CSS for the layouts.

Nothing positive to contribute then? Off ye go so

Advertisement