Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Up With the Auld Name?

Options
  • 24-05-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hello Chaps and Chapettes,

My auld nick hasn't been in the best of form lately and I was just curious as to why and if it'll revert back to its normal self at any point in the near future.

It should display as: Kintarō Hattori but is currently displaying as: KintarÅ Hattori

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You're messing with the database would be my guess.

These are the rules for nicks and you're breaking them:
    Each word can contain the following: A to Z (or a to z).
    A period.
    A question mark.
    An exclamation mark.
    An underscore.
    There needs to be a minimum of one word, maximum of 4
    Each word must be between 1 and 14 characters long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnnn I've had the Kintarō Hattori sig for years and the ō has never been a problem- until now it seems. Did something change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

It's very possible something has indeed changed. I'll file this as a bug report, maintaining backwards compatibility is a good thing. I note that on your profile page in the breadcrumbs it displays correctly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

this is also the way though that any accented characters appear on the touch site, you get the odd looking A with a circle over it if you try to do an o with a fada for example.

i didnt see it as much of a problem though once i got used to it, but i can see how it's be a problem for user names.

didnt a user i think called Cú Gobach have this issue aswel when they thanked a post? the fada didnt appear properly and that was fixed quickly enough.

xsiborg wrote: »
    didnt a user i think called Cú Gobach have this issue aswel when they thanked a post? the fada didnt appear properly and that was fixed quickly enough.

There's nothing quick nor easy about character encoding. Especially when it's as all over the place as it is in vBulletin :)

• Advertisement

It looks to me that the page is being served with ISO-8859-1 encoding. Manually changing it to UTF-8 in the browser allows the OP's username to appear correctly, but it changes back to ISO-8859-1 when you move to another page.

Just a quick update on this so I don't forget - I may have a solution for you, but I do need to test it a little more thoroughly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just a quick update on this so I don't forget - I may have a solution for you, but I do need to test it a little more thoroughly :)

Ah no worries Danny- it's not like it's a life or death situation, plus I don't want to cause you unnecessary hassle.

Say hello to your auld name again :)

Danny

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement