Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I've got this in my slow cooker now, I altered the recipe a little bit.

http://planningwithkids.com/2011/05/02/slow-cooker-spaghetti-bolognese/

I used all the ingredients in the original recipe and added the following to it.

Hopefully it'll turn out nice, will report back tonight when it's cooked and let you know for sure. :)

This turned out delicious, absolutely scrumptious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

:cool:Nice !

I am cooking my first goulash tomorrow in this 1.5 litre slow cooker.

I'm going to cook it on low, where it doesn't actually boil. Do I need to worry about fluid loss ? I was going to only put in a half cup or cup of water because I don't want a stew, I want a slightly thickish texture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't increase the amount of liquid, if anything you'll have less loss on the lower setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's going to be a lot easier to add a little extra liquid at the end if you need to loosen it up a bit than it is to take it out if its too wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I'm new to this...

What do you use as stock? For casseroles and stews would it be beef stock? Lamb? Chicken? And why? I have no idea.

I think I'll try making a casserole tomorrow. I've bought chicken, peppers, courgettes, carrots and onions. I have paprika and chilli powder and pepper out to use... I presume I'd need a bit of stock.

as a rule of thumb, if you're making something that requires stock, you'd use stock made from that meat, so cooking chicken = add chicken stock, cooking beef = add beef stock.

personally i tend to use the knorr stock pots as they're easy to just throw in and i like the taste.

they also do veg stock pots and a herb infusion pot which is also handy for adding more flavour into your meal.

if slow cooking i would use a lot less water to make up the stock though, or (depending on ow much liquid there is already) not use any liquid at all and just throw in the stock pot as it is and let the juices in the pot make up the required amount of liquid.

i'll always play it by ear either way, as i've already said, it's easier to add more liquid than to take it out if there is too much.

Great stuff. Thanks for the advice.

Great stuff. Thanks for the advice.
    i'm sure someone will be along shortly to disagree with me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

I think I first got this recipe on boards and it so easy in the slow cooker, and so tasty!

1 large onion(finely chopped)
    1 garlic clove(crushed)
    750g stewing steak(or whatever beef you would use for a stew etc)
    2ish tbsp paprika
    400g tin chopped tomatoes
    tomato puree (1tbsp?)
    1 large red pepper
    175g mushrooms(chopped)
    600ml beef stock
    1 tbsp cornflour
    1 tbsp water

I brown the beef with onions and garlic, then throw into the slow cooker with veg, tomatoes, stock, puree and paprika. Then when I'm ready to serve, I add some corn flour if I want it to thicken up a bit, while the rice/potatoes/accompaniment is cooking :)

• Advertisement

I did my first dinner in my 1.5 ltr slow cooker last night..... well ... it was edible :)

Trouble is I forgot to put a few ingredients in .. :P

I put stewing beef, onion, red pepper, garlic, mushroom, salt, pepper, but I forgot the tomato paste and didn't put any stock or stock cubes.

It was fine .. except the taste was a pretty bland 'beefy' taste and it was all a general 'brown' colour.

Any ideas on what I should have added for more taste ? I'm not into unusual tastes so be gentle with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I don't think anything I have done in the slow cooker has been a big success! and it was the kitchen implement that was going to turn me into a domestic goddess!! Who am I kidding!! :mad:

No one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

You def need stock of some sort. I usually add in mixed herbs, some Worcestershire sauce and would usually lash in some carrots too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

Well as you said you forgot to put some of the ingredients in! I prefer to brown the meat first, add the flour and cook for couple of minutes, then tin of tomatoes, soy, stock & veg.

Would anyone have a recipe for slow cooker chilli please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

et101 wrote: »
    I don't think anything I have done in the slow cooker has been a big success! and it was the kitchen implement that was going to turn me into a domestic goddess!! Who am I kidding!! :mad:
    I've loved a lot of stuff I've done in the slow cooker. Unfortunately OH has decided that he 'doesn't like stews' so I can't cook anything in it any more. Good job it's also my rice cooker or I'd be livid.

I bought a slow cooker cook book in Dealz the other day so I'm hoping I may have better luck with this!! Fingers crossed but keep the recipe ideas coming PLEASE ;)

kylith wrote: »
    I've loved a lot of stuff I've done in the slow cooker. Unfortunately OH has decided that he 'doesn't like stews' so I can't cook anything in it any more. Good job it's also my rice cooker or I'd be livid.

I guess he doesn't differentiate between stews and goulash's ? I would have considered a meat/veg job with a lot of clear liquid a stew ... whereas meat/veg job with thick 'sauce' is different...

I did another slow cook over the weekend and used tomato puree with my other ingredients above, and it was brilliant. I served it with big baked potatoes and it was yummy :-)

I got a tip from my sister-in-law also, to use good powdered soup to give thickness and flavour so I have a few lined up for this week :-)

i did a minced beef based tomato/veg sauce i mine over the weekend.

just cut up a load of mixed fresh veg (carrot, onion, garlic, squash, sweet pots, courgette, aubergine and some other random stuff from the fridge that needed using) and left it to cook out on low overnight and then added the mince in the morning and a couple of rich beef stock pots.

it's all gone in the freezer now in portions, but i'll be using it as a base for bolognese, lasagne, shepherds pie or chilli that just needs one or two things adding to it to finish it off in the desired style before serving. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I don't even have a slow cooker (lack of space :() but saw this on foodgawker and thought it looked a bit of a winner: http://www.mmmisformommy.com/2011/09/easy-barbecued-ribs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Piliger wrote: »
    I guess he doesn't differentiate between stews and goulash's ? I would have considered a meat/veg job with a lot of clear liquid a stew ... whereas meat/veg job with thick 'sauce' is different...
    He's not much of a foodie so 'stew' is anything cooked and served in liquid; stew, casserole, goulash. Drives me up the wall, it does, cos one of my all-time favourite dinners is skirt and kidney stew (not that he'll eat offal either), not to mention the time saving factor of bunging everything in the slow cooker and leaving it off for the day..

Would anyone have a recipe for slow cooker chilli please?
    Does anyone have a recipe for chilli and also for a beef stew please?

I notice that carrots stay quite firm even after 6 hours.

Piliger wrote: »
    No one ?

I'd normally use one of the Knorr packet stew mixes for stock. The Aldi ones are even nicer.

I'd normally use one of the Knorr packet stew mixes for stock. The Aldi ones are even nicer.
    if i don't have any fresh, i usually use the knorr stock pots, i find they do the trick quite nicely although they don't really thicken anything, a little cornflour can fix that.

Just make the stew as you normally would. I've never tried chilli in the crock pot.

kylith wrote: »
    He's not much of a foodie so 'stew' is anything cooked and served in liquid; stew, casserole, goulash. Drives me up the wall, it does, cos one of my all-time favourite dinners is skirt and kidney stew (not that he'll eat offal either), not to mention the time saving factor of bunging everything in the slow cooker and leaving it off for the day..

What about doing the stew base then topping it with pastry or mash or even dumplings. It's so annoying when they decide they don't like a basic anymore. My husband won't now eat pasta just an odd time I get away with spaghetti bolognese! VERY ANNOYING :rolleyes:

i've done dumplings on the top of a slow cooker beef stew and they turned out great, you just plop them in an hour or so before you serve so they can cook out properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just make the stew as you normally would. I've never tried chilli in the crock pot.

There's no chilli recipe in this book that was linked to before, unfortunately. Re beef stew, I tend to follow Jamie Oliver's recipe and it's fine for the slow cooker, though I no longer use Guinness.

Advertisement