Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub to watch Rugby Matches in Dublin

• 10-05-2012 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Ok, i generally watch the matches in the merrion inn, in ballsbridge or any pub in sandymount. They're both good, but not great. I heard Ranelagh (mcsorleys/smyths) are very good. I also believe 'The Bath' a new pub on Bath Avenue (set up by ex-leinster players - so i'm told!) is very good.

Does anyone know any pub in Dublin thats great for matches, preferably not in the city center. Big Screen, good atmosphere, efficient staff etc...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Sinnotts is the best pub

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Donny and Nesbitts is usually good for a game but it's always packed, got to get in early but the atmosphere is good.

The Merrion Inn is the one I usually go to, loads of tellies and usually a good atmosphere there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The Barge

It will be packed for the next three weekend for the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

P.C. wrote: »
    The Barge

It will be packed for the next three weekend for the rugby.

Especially the Heineken Cup final with the Champions League final and Championship Play-Offs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

searsons on baggot st

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I usually just go into the woolshed up on Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

kitty9 wrote: »
    searsons on baggot st

Searsons is closed isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Gleesons in Booterstown is a great spot for rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Searsons is closed isn't it?
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Would recommend mcsorleys or smyths for irish matches and leinster/munster games

Woolshed is excellent for anything else, top 14 or Super Rugby or tri nations, always plenty of aussies and kiwis in there too. Seems to be a good spot for foriegn games was there for the NHL finals last year and there were loads of canadians in, good crack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Blut2

Shocked that Kielys in Donnybrook hasnt been mentioned yet, is it too obvious? Only problem with it is it can be very busy for big matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any pub in Clontarf where the Ireland captain is from.

Connollys is great

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

vicwatson wrote: »

Connollys is great

The Sheds is a top notch pub there's no arguing but yet to watch a rugby match there, any good?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Royal Oak in Kilmainham. Love the place. Always has a good vibe for the rugby matches and a great pint of guinness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

in no particular order....

Smyths in Ranelagh (Bad memories of watching most of 2007 world cup here though!)
    Smyths on Haddington Road
    Slatterys on Bath Avenue (Great memories of watching the Grand Slam game v Wales here)
    The Oarsman in Ringsend (I'm almost sure I watched a game here before - great pub regardless though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

Connollys is great

The Sheds is a top notch pub there's no arguing but yet to watch a rugby match there, any good?

i normally go there for rugby matches,was pretty much dead last night for the leinster game but any other time ive been there and there showing the match on the bug screens the place does be busy,especially if ireland are playing the place does be black

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

Connollys is great

i normally go there for rugby matches,was pretty much dead last night for the leinster game but any other time ive been there and there showing the match on the bug screens the place does be busy,especially if ireland are playing the place does be black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭eire_lad

so is break for the border still the best place to watch a munster game in dublin...

UP for the weekend and looking to watch the munster v edinburgh game after 7..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Woolshed are showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

eire_lad wrote: »
    so is break for the border still the best place to watch a munster game in dublin...

UP for the weekend and looking to watch the munster v edinburgh game after 7..

I think its still the Munster RFC Fanclub pub, so probably not a bad shout.
    Devitts down on Camden street is a great pub for a match though. Near Flannerys / Barge / decent food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Royal Oak in Kilmainham is a Munster bar. It'll generally see about 30 heads in for the matches - small place, great craic, deadly guinness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭eire_lad

staying out beside croke park so bit far away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

eire_lad wrote: »
    staying out beside croke park so bit far away

Should be no shortage of Munster people in town with the Cork v Clare game the following day, head into the city centre and pretty much everywhere will be showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Woolshed so, 15-20 min walk from where you'll be - or to Drumcondra where theres plenty of Munster dwellers, 10 mins walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Would anyone have directions for the bath pub from pembroke road? Can't get Google maps to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Would anyone have directions for the bath pub from pembroke road? Can't get Google maps to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

dregin wrote: »
    The Royal Oak in Kilmainham. Love the place. Always has a good vibe for the rugby matches and a great pint of guinness :)

Used to live up from there, always meant to drop in, never did. Now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

dregin wrote: »
    The Royal Oak in Kilmainham is a Munster bar. It'll generally see about 30 heads in for the matches - small place, great craic, deadly guinness!

Not anymore. Us locals have it back ;)

Advertisement