Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behaviour Perth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The way I see it is you have loads of lads, and lassies, who are thick ignorant white trash chavs who would only have been good enough for grunt work on a building site or a factory line in Ireland. (No disrespect to the normal people doing well at these jobs in Ireland or elsewhere)

There is zero building work in Ireland, so where do they go? Australia. These people probably would never have gone to the sun in their lives only on a package holiday deal for 2 weeks maybe in the summer. So they have to emigrate for work. Get a WHV. Go to an English speaking country as the idea of going to a non English speaking country for more than a 2 week package holiday would be alien to them.

They find themselves making a ball of money in Aus, and do the same thing they would do in Spain or Cyprus.
    As the saying goes, "you can take the man out of the bog, but you can't take the bog out of the man". Replace "bog" with town or suburb name of your choice....

It's kind of like a load of bogans having to come to Ireland for work........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

seachto7 wrote: »
    The way I see it is you have loads of lads, and lassies, who are thick ignorant white trash chavs who would only have been good enough for grunt work on a building site or a factory line in Ireland. (No disrespect to the normal people doing well at these jobs in Ireland or elsewhere)

Saying "no disrespect" after making insulting remarks about a whole sector of the workforce does not negate your ridiculous comments! I mean saying "only good enough" to work on a building site etc just shows your own inate snobishness. I don't work in either sector myself but I'd hold people who get off their arse and do any job way above people who are too lazy, or sit on their arses and draw the dole any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Credit must be given to those who get off their ass and get over here, especially when they'd rather be at home but can't stay any longer for lack of work.
    However I have met a few young guys on their whv and they are pissing away the experience. They may as well have stayed at home on the dole. They have no real interest in being here and resent that fact that there's no work at home. They'll grow up I guess but damn when I left school in 89 there was 20% unemployment at home and zero chance of saving a wedge to get out to Australia. (the airfares were horrendously expensive) It just annoys me to see them waste an opportunity that they might not get again.
    travel can't broaden a closed mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I agree there is a bit of snobbiness on these boards from time to time from Irish people here on PR or 457's towards people on working holiday visas, almost like they are above us or something. I've noticed it from a select few posters for quite awhile now, but said nothing. It irks me a bit.

That is all seperate to the main discussion here, and I 100% agree with pretty much everything that has been said about these scangers/chavs/whatever you want to call them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

myhorse wrote: »
    I would be pretty certain that it is a hoax letter/no such letter exists. Looks complete bull to me.

Completely above board ( you've probably been told this already).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Zico

This is nothing new with the Irish abroad, it's just the muppetts who made it impossible to enjoy a holiday in Spain 10 years ago have now made it to Oz in numbers.

I was in Perth 7 years ago and the Irish had a great rep. the clowns who are ruining it should have their passports revoked.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Saying "no disrespect" after making insulting remarks about a whole sector of the workforce does not negate your ridiculous comments! I mean saying "only good enough" to work on a building site etc just shows your own inate snobishness. I don't work in either sector myself but I'd hold people who get off their arse and do any job way above people who are too lazy, or sit on their arses and draw the dole any day.

Yup, I was out of order. I have met many pig ignorant f*ckheads in my time, and met a lot more on building sites. I'm not talking about skilled tradesmen, but grunts. Lads who were fit for feck all else, only grunt work. They wouldn't have had the vision or cop on to venture to the other side of the world in days gone by.....
    Zico summed it up, that these were the crowd who ruined holidays to Spain years ago.
    Plenty of Irish in NY, Toronto, San Fran, Paris, London. Why don't we hear the same types of stories. Different type of person going to these places? Or are we just not used to sunshine for long periods of time!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Aussie wrote: »
    Ok you dodged the question the first time so i will try again,
    Do you think the time of the State Police Forces is a provided service?
    Do you think the time of the Doctors and Nurses is a provided service who have to stitch these idiots back together?
    Do you think the time of the Council Staff who have to clean up their mess after they done everything except use a bin is a provided service?

I could go on and on but the fact is the the net Economic and Social gain from hosting these Scum in Australia is negligible.

Awaiting you next Pearl...
    You've hit the nail on the head there! The irish government still accept it as normal, that our hospitals are overrun with drunks every weekend!! Remove the drunks from irish A&E's and we would have a very different health system!

It's unfair to categorise labourers as being the ones who behave badly. I've come across plenty of white collar 'arseholes on tour'. Some people are just idiots and unfortunately when you get enough of them together they will cause chaos.

(It's also wrong to assume that someone labouring on a building site is some pre-leaving cert drop out. I know people with excellent qualifications who do a bit on their travels as a way of making quick cash.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Don't know whether or not I should be relieved that the a**holes have left this country. I do pity the Aussies having to put up with them tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

In my experience I feel that what the majority of the back packing Irish do is rock up to St.Kilda where we set up camp near hundreds of other Irish. Then through a natural selection process we choose our new irish friends here in oz and proceed to get blind drunk for a period of time in and around St.Kilda. after a good few months of this a nice big gang has amassed and they feel ready to move onto the next suburb on night out in a large group, usually overly aggressive and overly full up.
    It may seem im looking down my nose at these people but I just feel people should get out and have a proper experience down here at the very least go and meet some backpackers from countries that don’t speak English. Even try and make some aussie friends ! in general they love us.

But ive gotten asked many times what is it with that bunch of Irish down in St.Kilda I simply have to reply there just our equivalent of bogans which I feel is a huge over generalisation. Its just an Irish thing to get trapped having the craic with other irish.

Zico wrote: »
    It's unfair to categorise labourers as being the ones who behave badly. I've come across plenty of white collar 'arseholes on tour'. Some people are just idiots and unfortunately when you get enough of them together they will cause chaos.

(It's also wrong to assume that someone labouring on a building site is some pre-leaving cert drop out. I know people with excellent qualifications who do a bit on their travels as a way of making quick cash.)

Yes, I am out of order singling out labourers, but lets face it, most of them have high tailed it to Aus, and more power to them for making the $$$ while it's going. Just talking from my own experience. I knew lots of them growing up who were just plain thick, and due to being in the right place at the right time, made a load during the Tiger. Even while they were loaded, they were still pig ignorant.

I met many of them in Aus as well, half of them just arrived in Sydney, and are still there, no travelling done, nothing, just work, drink, work, drink...

But as you say, people from all walks of life acting the good in Aus. Rugby jocks are another crowd that act like a bunch of pr*cks when they are out in groups. This seems to be universal as well, not just Irish.

Zico wrote: »

I am not saying they are all drop outs or thick, but there are a lot of them in it. Same as I meet a lot of complete bullsh*t chancers in online marketing who make huge money and know nothing in reality, just bullsh*tters....
    But they head off to Aus, they are still thick f**kers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mod just to be clear, this is about anti social behaviour in Perth, this could be ANYONE from accountants, doctors to miners. Do not assume the professions. Let's not make any sweeping generalisations and I won't tolerate any insults towards others. If anyone has any problems please use the report post button on LHS. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its quite accessible now a days to get to Australia for people who wouldnt be adhered to foreign travel outside the usual "Ladz ona mad wan" sun holidays. Ive only copped on recently that these people have "going away partys" to raise funds for these trips. I was quite naive in thinking that they were genuine going away partys instead of a fund raising exercise. Even some of the lads that used to hang around housing estates causing havok in my area are over there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Is there an Aussie version of Joe Duffy you can all get on to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Darren Hinch, 3AW

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Why don't the police just operate a zero tolerance approach and just depot these clowns?

Why don't the police just operate a zero tolerance approach and just depot these clowns?

Police can't deport them, they can only hand them over to DIAC who can only deport them if they don't have a visa.

You can have your visa cancelled but this requires Ministerial authorisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

It's the whole 'No blacks, no dogs no Irish' thing all over again. In fairness you can't blame the Aussies. A few wasters are ruining it for all the decent folk gone over.

The people fighting outside the cock and bull and other pubs, would be fighting outside pubs in Waterford, Limerick etc if they hadn't been forced to leave Ireland. I have lots of mates over in Oz now, and I know they're behaving themselves. Scumbags will be scumbags no matter where they are.

It might sound snobby but there's a different class of people heading over now compared to 5-10 years ago. There are still great folk heading over, they're just being accompanied now by assholes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It might sound snobby but there's a different class of people heading over now compared to 5-10 years ago. There are still great folk heading over, they're just being accompanied now by assholes!!

5-10 years ago people came to Australia to travel and see Australia, because they wanted to. Usually the plan was the same, land in Sydney Melbourne, do some work, switch city, then head east or west Coast before going home via Asia. (not always in that order) now people are coming over because there is nothing else for them at home, with a lot of money to be made in various sections. Some have zero interest in Australia, they want to make money and party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

From what I have seen, a lot of issues stem from when bouncers or bar staff refuse service to drunk people or request that they leave the premises. This is usually done in a reasonable manner and is in line with laws that are displayed in pretty much any bar I have been in. If you are considered to be too drunk, it is an offence for them to serve you. They tend to enforce this law in Australia.

Irish people who are not used to this seem to take umbrage at the idea of being asked to leave. It leads to confrontations with staff just trying to do their job. Afterwards, it leads to drunk, annoyed young Irish people out on the street.

It says a lot about our attitude to alcohol at home and the policing of similar laws in Ireland where it is also an offence to serve somebody who is obviously intoxicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

To be fair Aussies dont like being asked to leave either. No one does.

I've seen plenty of Aussies cut off and refuse to leave, cops called etc. Not just an Irish thing, also there are probably loads of properties & joints wrecked by Aussies as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's the whole 'No blacks, no dogs no Irish' thing all over again. In fairness you can't blame the Aussies.
    I disagree, the only disparaging remake I've received here was from another Irish person when I said I wasn't interested in GAA, "you're really Irish then" I was told.
    If you were here you'd see how seriously bars take the threat of losing their license.
    The police here contact the GAA clubs the same way they'd coordinate with AFL clubs, it's good policing.

The Australians are no saints. Aussie male backpackers in Europe tend to be rowdy, loud and obnoxious.

http://www.thingsihateaboutbackpacking.com/?p=3

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

04072511 wrote: »
    The Australians are no saints. Aussie male backpackers in Europe tend to be rowdy, loud and obnoxious.

http://www.thingsihateaboutbackpacking.com/?p=3

And what's the relevance of that to Irish people acting the bollox in Perth?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And what's the relevance of that to Irish people acting the bollox in Perth?

Thought I'd add a bit of balance to this by showing that there are also d1ckheads from Australia, doing exactly what the Irish are doing, being pr1cks in somebody else's country.

• Advertisement

Northbridge, Perth has a history of alcohol fueled violence. It was a scary place when I was there. Kiwis had a bad rep then but they banded with the Irish ironically. ;)

It's not the same situation though.

I can say that I have never encountered a bar full of pissed up Taffs wanting to explain the horrors of the English invasion in detail to anyone who passed within sheering distance.

There's no logic to that sequence because I missed the bit where Ireland got over itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement