Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronunciations that drive you mad

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

'Noob' is 'nube'.
    noob, rhymes with tube, lube, boob, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

The way Brian Dowling say's "just eat dut ie" instead of dot ie in the advertisement. He's from Kildare the pretentious fcukin gimp. It does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'd say both "noob" and "nube" are acceptable, seeing as the word comes from "new" which has similar variations in pronunciation between American and British/Hiberno-English, though the American pronunciation ("nooze") does seem to be becoming more common here.
    It certainly seems to the standard pronunciation on RTÉ now.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

'Tube' and 'Lube' don't sound like 'boob'. 'Noob' sounds like 'Boob'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Pelanty and Lack-si-daisical.

Drives me spare. Especially from football commentators.

• Advertisement

'Tube' and 'Lube' don't sound like 'boob'. 'Noob' sounds like 'Boob'.

The only accent I can imagine them not sounding alike is a posh English accent:

Teeoo-b, Leeoo-b.

But I'd pronounce them:

Choob, loob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

People who pronounce Haiti as High-Eatty. Heard it in a load of news reports when they had that massive earthquake. 'And now over to High-Eatty'. WTF :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Wattle wrote: »
    People who pronounce Haiti as High-Eatty. Heard it in a load of news reports when they had that massive earthquake. 'And now over to High-Eatty'. WTF :confused:

Not to be pedantic but that is the way it is pronounced in Haitian Creole. Ayiti is the Creole for Haiti.

Lived there for over a year and it's a crazy country with some beautiful people and places but that's another topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I say heightH. I'm not trying to be posh, it's just never been any other way for me. :confused:

Do you still say Heigth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Odats wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic but that is the way it is pronounced in Haitian Creole. Ayiti is the Creole for Haiti.

Lived there for over a year and it's a crazy country with some beautiful people and places but that's another topic.

Fair enough then. I always thought it was pronounced Hate-i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Abi wrote: »
    I remember the first time I heard it being pronounced this way, and having asked him to repeat it several times because I couldn't understand him, I got him to spell it. I couldn't believe it.

do you say it like 2 words, fore and head?
    I would blur the 2 so it sounds more like for-id

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

ChicaRgo
    pacific rather than specific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CakeImp

People who say "sith" instead of "sixth"."Defin-eye-tely" , "Nuculur" instead of "new-clear". "Gordee" instead of "Gardai".
    I knew a girl who always said "rarely?" instead of "really?". She also said "swin" instead of swing".
    "Barbadoes" instead of "Barbaydos".

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

CakeImp wrote: »
    People who say "sith" instead of "sixth"."Defin-eye-tely" , "Nuculur" instead of "new-clear". "Gordee" instead of "Gardai".
    I knew a girl who always said "rarely?" instead of "really?". She also said "swin" instead of swing".

Is this person from Kerry by any chance? I know a girl from Kerry, she pronounces Gardai quite similar to how you have written it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

CakeImp wrote: »

It's pronounced ''nnnnnngardai''!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

OK not a pronunciation but something that has really being getting on my nerves lately is people using magic as a verb.

E.g. We can't magic up the money.

What makes it worse now is I seem to hear it more and more often. Or maybe it's just I notice it more. And more annoying is I'm hearing it on Newstalk and RTE1 when politicians are speaking about the Economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Adamas

I hear some people saying "What are ya aytin?" (What are you eating)

and "I put the car in meutral" (I put the car in neutral (gear))

Don't know if these are particularly Mayo sayings.

"I went over to Swinsford" (I went over to Swinford)

and "I went to Char-less-town" for I went to Charlestown (Charles' town).

"I clum the Reek lasht weekend" (I climbed the Reek (Croagh Patrick) last weekend).

"Wheelbarra" for wheelbarrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Adamas

St.Spodo wrote: »
    It's pronounced ''nnnnnngardai''!

Or maybe even "Goordee" if you are from Blackrock, and "a pint of Heineken" is "a point of Hoyniken".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

ROWTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Firegaurd wrote: »
    OK not a pronunciation but something that has really being getting on my nerves lately is people using magic as a verb.

E.g. We can't magic up the money.

What makes it worse now is I seem to hear it more and more often. Or maybe it's just I notice it more. And more annoying is I'm hearing it on Newstalk and RTE1 when politicians are speaking about the Economy.

Nothing wrong with that according to my dictionary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 CakeImp

Is this person from Kerry by any chance? I know a girl from Kerry, she pronounces Gardai quite similar to how you have written it.

No she was from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I'm convinced that poxy radio accent is a form of brainwashing on staff.

My housemate used to speak with a relatively average Dublin accent until she started in a radio station, couple of months later, roundabout became roundaboutsh, what became whash, bye became byeya and I started getting emails each week wishing happy friday!!!

Is "bleedin' rappeh" still working at RTE or is he in the workhouse now? if he's still free then get him to do the news, or do a weeklong special named "Tubridy and Rapeh, a tale of two *****"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Gaaaaarrrrrdeee....The RTE pronunciation of Gardai.

They say 'Gordjee'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Nothing worse than con-TROV-a-see instead of controversy.

And priv-ih-see instead of pri-va-see. I mean, you wouldn't normally say prov-et instead of pri-vate so I don't understand people who can say private but not privacy..

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Bleeding and Yolk.

I knew a girl from Dublin, every time she would be angry at something she would label it a

Bleeeeeeddddiiinnnnn Poxxyyyyy Yowwwwk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Prople using letters to count...
    Number A
    Number B etc...
    The physical treaty...

All these were heard at a local council meeting...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazernuts

SNORBEAST wrote: »
    Tony Fenton Toon= Tune
    Michael McMullen- Every thing that comes out of his mouth
    Matt Cooper- Saherday= Saturday

Matt Cooper also says 'Eggs Cetera'. It's 'Et' for chrissake !!!!

PandaX9 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than con-TROV-a-see instead of controversy.

And priv-ih-see instead of pri-va-see. I mean, you wouldn't normally say prov-et instead of pri-vate so I don't understand people who can say private but not privacy..

Both forms of Controversy are acceptable. Both forms of Privacy are acceptable, one is American. You can check them here.

http://www.howjsay.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Nearly everyone I know says Filum instead of film. Its rare you meet someone that says it correctly.

And pattren instead of pattern.

• Advertisement

saa wrote: »
    ROWTE.

The American pronounciation of Route.

Advertisement