Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coding Horror

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

It's also generally thought that they charge a lot but deliver very little and burn out junior developers very quickly.

I've found some consultants from the big 6 seriously good, others not so much, much like anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Not a coding horror but doesn't fit into another thread:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/ActivityManager.html#isUserAMonkey()

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Monkey is an emulator software used to stress test the application:
    http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/monkey.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not coding so much as design but..

Hey Lidl...

You really should have an option to hide that big blue ribbon, it's obscuring your offers and there's no option to hide it!

:mad:

Untitled_173.jpg

Basq wrote: »
    You really should have an option to hide that big blue ribbon, it's obscuring your offers and there's no option to hide it!
    ...except for the Close button (black rectangle with white text)

edit: mmm garlic chicken Kiev

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus.. just spotted that now. Still, it's hardly intuitive given it's distance from the ribbon..

Was looking for something more like this:

Untitled_174.jpg

"Quicktime needs your permission to run" - get to f...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What? You mean you don't like it when text follows your cursor across the screen.

What? You mean you don't like it when text follows your cursor across the screen.

I don't like any of it. It is the worst website I have seen by far :(

Even the source is annoying. The music is only minorly funky, not funky enough to warrant auto playing….

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't like any of it. It is the worst website I have seen by far :(

Even the source is annoying. The music is only minorly funky, not funky enough to warrant auto playing….

I've seen worse, but they were ones that were deliberately awful. I did see one that was worse than that (and it was a lot worse) but I can't remember the link. :(

I've seen worse, but they were ones that were deliberately awful. I did see one that was worse than that (and it was a lot worse) but I can't remember the link. :(

I saw a few that were worse but as you say I then found out they were deliberately bad for one reason or another.

This looks 100% genuine as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Now that's a classy website! Not in the least bit tacky and 1998. With these Ferrero Rocher you're really spoiling us...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Kill it with fire !

Am I the only one who played with the text for a few minutes? :pac:

The most hideous site I've seen recently is the official website for 'Game Of Thrones' author George R.R Martin.

george-r-martin.jpg

Surely with the surge both in sales and visitors due to the TV series, someone who represents him would do something with it.

Varying hues of purple.. really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allaboutclicks

I know as web designer I shouldn't admit this - but I really like that design. It's so 90s. I think it's cute out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I found the little text following the cursor a sorta cool. Probably wont be seeing it on Google, Amazon or Facebook or anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

ColHol wrote: »
    I found the little text following the cursor a sorta cool. Probably wont be seeing it on Google, Amazon or Facebook or anytime soon

When I first learned JavaScript back in about 1999, that was one of the first things I learned and I thought it was so amazing

matrim wrote: »
    When I first learned JavaScript back in about 1999, that was one of the first things I learned and I thought it was so amazing
    I learnt it about then too. Never thought it was cool though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

So for my masters thesis I picked 5 topics and got my 4th choice, which involves developing a coordinate system using the Xbox kinect. My degree is mechanical engineering why is this even an option. It sounded a hell of a lot easier than it is and I have just about zero programming experience.

Has anyone worked with the Kinect SDK here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    So for my masters thesis I picked 5 topics and got my 4th choice, which involves developing a coordinate system using the Xbox kinect. My degree is mechanical engineering why is this even an option. It sounded a hell of a lot easier than it is and I have just about zero programming experience.

Not really the thread to post this, would be better to post it in it's own so it gets attention from people who may be experienced with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

its the design tool of the future. kinect has lots of uses outside of gaming in many various fields, from a learning tool for mentally challenged kids, to assisting in surgery, to designing structures.

it'll be a good project, sounds interesting and will stand by you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Got a 1st :eek: Turned out to be quite enjoyable once the panic stage was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Got a 1st :eek: Turned out to be quite enjoyable once the panic stage was over.
    Excellent, nicely done! I'm sure the skills you picked up will come in handy in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Something very endearing about that GRRM site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

So we had a problem on Boards I'm working through fixing where we update a thread prefix, rebuild the cache but the cache still has the old phrase. I've narrowed it down to a function, but the docblock has made me wonder if I should look within at all

[php]
    /**
    * Reads a language or languages and updates the language db table with the denormalized phrase cache
    * @param integer ID of language to be built; if -1, build all
    * @param integer Not sure actually... any ideas?
    */
    function build_language($languageid = -1, $phrasearray = 0)[/php]

If the programmer doesn't know what a parameter does, do I really want to fix this? Thanks vBulletin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the programmer doesn't know what a parameter does, do I really want to fix this? Thanks vBulletin
    phrasearray ?

LOL reminds me of ye olde Netware - hadn't realised that Vaxen used too

FIRE PHASERS 3 TIMES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Basq wrote: »
    The most hideous site I've seen recently is the official website for 'Game Of Thrones' author George R.R Martin.

george-r-martin.jpg

Surely with the surge both in sales and visitors due to the TV series, someone who represents him would do something with it.

Varying hues of purple.. really?!

:eek:

I can only do the most basic sites using HTML and CSS learned in the evenings through W3 Schools and a few other books and all I can say is wow that site is awful, what the hell are they thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

So we had a problem on Boards I'm working through fixing where we update a thread prefix, rebuild the cache but the cache still has the old phrase. I've narrowed it down to a function, but the docblock has made me wonder if I should look within at all

[php]
    /**
    * Reads a language or languages and updates the language db table with the denormalized phrase cache
    * @param integer ID of language to be built; if -1, build all
    * @param integer Not sure actually... any ideas?
    */
    function build_language($languageid = -1, $phrasearray = 0)[/php]

You are working in PHP, not knowing what that param does is the least of your problems tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

ChRoMe wrote: »
    You are working in PHP, not knowing what that param does is the least of your problems tbh.

Without PHP you wouldn't have anywhere to write that post, lets leave the language wars for another thread?

Advertisement