Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South County GC Closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wow.

I know lots of people who joined SC recently and they are all going to be club-less now.
    Interestingly just last weekend I had heard that more than a couple SC members had moved to my own club, but I didnt think anything of it...until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Russman wrote: »
    Good point, I got almost all of my sub from Total Fitness refunded by mastercard when Total Fitness shut down last year as I had paid by cr card.

+1 on this. Credit card is the safest way to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ipitydafool

There has been a lot of issues lately regarding the fees charged to shareholder members and the fees being advertised to new members. A large number of shareholder members have left the club recently including a number of ex-captains. There has been views exspressed by certain members that the board were trying to force out the shareholders, the same shareholders that dipped into their own pockets when the club was in financial difficulty. I am devastated that the club has closed but am lucky that I decided to pay by direct debit at the start of the year. Its a great club with some great golf people in it and I know I have made some friends for life there.

Who makes up the board of directors then, were they shareholding members voted onto the board? You would think if they were anyway decent the board and management would have been more open about financial difficulties and a plan to save the place could have been formulated. Id say a fuller picture will emerge over next while

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Who makes up the board of directors then, were they shareholding members voted onto the board? You would think if they were anyway decent the board and management would have been more open about financial difficulties and a plan to save the place could have been formulated. Id say a fuller picture will emerge over next while

Id assume your right in that the board must have been voted in by the shareholders. However there has been alot of anger over the way they have behaved recently. I know there was a shareholder meeting arranged for last night but I have not spoken to anyone yet who was at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

Id assume your right in that the board must have been voted in by the shareholders. However there has been alot of anger over the way they have behaved recently. I know there was a shareholder meeting arranged for last night but I have not spoken to anyone yet who was at it.

Yeah the board was elected by the shareholders, know that for a fact.

It's funny how the last email from TF (charmain) said the club was so financially secure. How different things obv were, even when that email was sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Anyway...on with the business of looking for a new club!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Where to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Golfwallahs thread:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 brianodub

Sad news. Played there many times. Was maturing into a lovely course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

First of all sorry to all involved.
    Was it a members club? Or who was it owned by?
    Was it like Moyvalley where you just bought a share?
    Can't see how a club that has a membership base like that can go belly up the Bar levy should have kept that breaking even. I think there are questions to be asked here.
    It's a shame that they did what Turvey did and took in new members right up until they closed the doors.
    I'm afraid they will be the first of maybe 5/6 clubs to fold. I'm thinking of the ones with big empty new club houses, seems now a days bars are just a drain on the clubs resourses and i can see a lot of clubs closing them down to survive.
    Think it should be the first question u ask now when going for a new membership can i see the books and can i pay by direct debit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Shocking news. Desperately sorry situation. The members deserve much, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

I sympathise with members, particularly new ones who have just paid their fees (and also considering their website is still advertising for membership).

This makes you wonder how many more clubs are “on the brink”, now that 2012 membership number positions are known.

I’ve heard of 2 other clubs calling EGMs because membership numbers are down significantly. One of these clubs has also put staff on protective notice.

Judging from the shocked reaction (Turvey in 2011 and now South County), it shows that prospective new members are well advised to check out a club’s finances before joining (or reduce risk by paying monthly). Either ask for a copy of the audited accounts or get a copy for a small fee from cro.ie (if club is a limited company).

The audited accounts won’t predict a sudden fall in membership but give a good indication of last 2 years financial performance. This is better than relying totally on hype from websites, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Jaysus lads, this is terrible. Sorry to hear it especially since so many of ye were members.

Just one thing though, I can't really get my head around it. I'm not exactly privy to all the financial goings on with golf clubs, but what type of scenario would have to happen for this to happen..? I would have imagined that a golf club would always be better off restructuring and trying to compete and turn a profit rather than closing there doors..

mike12 wrote: »
    First of all sorry to all involved.
    Was it a members club? Or who was it owned by?
    Was it like Moyvalley where you just bought a share?
    Can't see how a club that has a membership base like that can go belly up the Bar levy should have kept that breaking even. I think there are questions to be asked here.
    It's a shame that they did what Turvey did and took in new members right up until they closed the doors.
    I'm afraid they will be the first of maybe 5/6 clubs to fold. I'm thinking of the ones with big empty new club houses, seems now a days bars are just a drain on the clubs resourses and i can see a lot of clubs closing them down to survive.
    Think it should be the first question u ask now when going for a new membership can i see the books and can i pay by direct debit.

The club was/is owned by the shareholders, who also elected the board. The land was leased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Shocking news. Desperately sorry situation. The members deserve much, much better.

Nice move Sheet. I'll be taking this hit on the chin

k.p.h wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, this is terrible. Sorry to hear it especially since so many of ye were members.

Just one thing though, I can't really get my head around it. I'm not exactly privy to all the financial goings on with golf clubs, but what type of scenario would have to happen for this to happen..? I would have imagined that a golf club would always be better off restructuring and trying to compete and turn a profit rather than closing there doors..

You'd think that would be the preferred option going forward alright. Surely it would make sense to try & salvage something instead of writing the hole thing off, but it all seems so final so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Really sorry to hear this and feel so bad for the members and the guys on here.

Surely there must be a club that can make some form of deal for the current members at least until the end of the year? Win win for both parties if something could be arranged.

I hope all can get as much back as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

The club was/is owned by the shareholders, who also elected the board. The land was leased.
    So its a members club and i presume the board are all members if so its a Crap way to treat other members., Who is the land leased off. Maybe they will do a deal with the creditors and staff and then re open.
    Can't see why they didn't let people know they were in diffculty before this and see if the members could come up with a way to save the club rather than just take everyones subs for the year and then shut the club.
    Mike

If the land was being leased for a considerable yearly sum then the long term viability of the place as a golf course would definitely have to be looked at. I wonder was this well known and in particular to the new members just paying a sub fee. Id agree with other posters a good background check on the financials of a golf course before joining nowadays is required or else pay by direct debit. The funny thing is though some of the courses being run by Nama guarantee to new members coming in that the course will stay open for the year. I know in New Forest GC in Westmeath that is the case. If the closure of South County is a final as the posters are saying i reckon the members looking for a new place, should try and meet and get a bulk membership offer from other local clubs. they might even be prepared to offer a special reduced rate for this year if a large number are joining and given your unfortunate circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Terrible news, played the Wednesday Open there many times and always enjoyed the course, the facilities and the company of any of the members I ever played with. Sickened for the members. What a waste!

• Advertisement

So its a members club and i presume the board are all members if so its a Crap way to treat other members., Who is the land leased off. Maybe they will do a deal with the creditors and staff and then re open.
    Can't see why they didn't let people know they were in diffculty before this and see if the members could come up with a way to save the club rather than just take everyones subs for the year and then shut the club.
    Mike

+1, seems the board have acted in a real underhanded manner not disclosing financial position, emailing members a few months ago telling all everything rosey when it obv not. I mean im sure members could have helped drum up business through their contacts, fundraising etc to help save club if they knew the place could close. I could be wrong but isnt this what Knockanallly did a couple of years ago to save off closure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

If the closure of South County is a final as the posters are saying i reckon the members looking for a new place, should try and meet and get a bulk membership offer from other local clubs. they might even be prepared to offer a special reduced rate for this year if a large number are joining and given your unfortunate circumstances.

+1
    It might be insensitive or too early to be picking over the carcass of a club, but I'd imagine the clubs close to South County, the likes of Beech Park, Slade Valley etc etc would be only too happy to cut some sort of deal with groups of members.

Mike

imo this is the biggest part that doesn't make sense. I've heard that other clubs in similar positions in the past would have called an EGM to alert members to how critical the situation is. Surely the best way to have dealt with this would have been to get as many people as possible on board to try to generate revenue, should it be new members, green fees, business for the bar/restaurant etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

The South County Golf Club (2004) Ltd regrets to announce that the company has taken the decision to cease operations as of this morning, May 9th, until further notice. The decision has been taken as the company has become insolvent and the company has had no option but to cease operations. The company has been operating under extremely difficult market conditions in Ireland for golf clubs generally. The Company regrets having to take this action and further announcements regarding Shareholder and Creditor meetings will be made in due course.

South County Golf Club (2004) Ltd would like to acknowledge the hard work and dedication of its employees at this time. We thank them, together with those shareholders and other parties who have supported the golf club and the Company down through the years.

The highlighted piece above seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

k.p.h wrote: »

I'm not familiar with sc and other surrounding clubs or there situation but if a bank has an intrest in a few clubs in close proximity and are struggling the bank might have decided to cut funding and kill the competition to support another that the bank have a bigger interest in. In other words a calculated risk to take the hit on x @ 200k in the hope of saving y where 2 million is invested.
    All speculation of course but something doesn't seem right here at all, not when the members had no clue. I would think this is more down to outside factors rather than the club itself. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chuckieamc

I am a member in SC since November last, got no text ,got no email, got no news until a friend contacted me.
    Absolutely gutted. I had some hope that it was a rumour until I came on here....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

thegen wrote: »
    The South County Golf Club (2004) Ltd regrets to announce that the company has taken the decision to cease operations as of this morning, May 9th, until further notice.

The highlighted piece above seems odd.

Agreed. Even if they manage to pull through, how many members will stay or how many new members will they be able to attract, given they'll have already closed once. Unfortunately it seems like its game over.
    Total shame for the members. Pity, as its a good track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

What you thinking? Beech Park, Newlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

Russman wrote: »
    Agreed. Even if they manage to pull through, how many members will stay or how many new members will they be able to attract, given they'll have already closed once. Unfortunately it seems like its game over.
    Total shame for the members. Pity, as its a good track.

If the land was leased by the club and the club has now gone bust, I'd wager it will open again very shortly. There's no way the landowner is going to let it's asset fade away. No consolotion for the members that forked out their subs though :(

As suggested earlier, you guys should try and form a group and approach local clubs for a group deal on membership. Why not try Palmerstown, a bit of a trek, but a great course and nearly empty at weekends so should be able to take a large number. Obviously they would have to give some garauntees though. I know in Tulfarris they garaunteed all members fees would be refunded if it went belly up. From what I hear the members fees are held in an account and the club only get it in monthly installments, so that if it goes bust the remainder of the money is given back to the members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

TheGrump wrote: »
    If the land was leased by the club and the club has now gone bust, I'd wager it will open again very shortly. There's no way the landowner is going to let it's asset fade away. No consolotion for the members that forked out their subs though :(

As suggested earlier, you guys should try and form a group and approach local clubs for a group deal on membership. Why not try Palmerstown, a bit of a trek, but a great course and nearly empty at weekends so should be able to take a large number. Obviously they would have to give some garauntees though. I know in Tulfarris they garaunteed all members fees would be refunded if it went belly up. From what I hear the members fees are held in an account and the club only get it in monthly installments, so that if it goes bust the remainder of the money is given back to the members

I enquired at Palmerstown late last year and they said they weren't taking members until the club was sold. Have they managed to sell it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement