Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How you doin' - Cool Vids Feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Maybe we should start our own watermarking. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Emotionally and physically it just doesnt feel the same -

For example: I'd be in Afterhours and all I had to do is click up and I'd be in cool vids, now if I'm in Afterhours then I have to hit rec > cool vids.

By the time I do all that then I'm not bothered to look around and just go back to Afterhours.

Also before there would be one or 2 funny picture threads, but now they're all 'thank whoring or lose' threads. TBH the quality of the forum has dropped a notch since the move.

Then again i could be wrong and talking rubbish, and maybe that those threads are what people want to see and people are too lazy to type 'funny pictures' into google, who knows?

Sure if I dont like it then I dont have to come, but I do like it for the moments brilliance.

I don't think we will be going back to AH, this place has grown into a different forum than jsut a dumping ground for threads in AH

You have the option of following the forum if that makes it easier for you

So far I haven't noticed a drop off in activity in the forum, in either new threads or the old ones
    Superbus wrote: »
    A minor suggestion - a ban on pictures that have the watermark of another website on them, 9Gag being the main offenders (e.g.). I mean, YLYL has always been partial to a bit of Reddit reposting, but at least it doesn't say 'Reddit' at the bottom of the picture.

I would imagine if Sean Sherlock has his way keeping those watermarks will become important so I don't think there will be a decision on this yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I would imagine if Sean Sherlock has his way keeping those watermarks will become important so I don't think there will be a decision on this yet

Ah yeah, good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

I think it went well as a sub-forum along with the mostly silly ramblings of AH. I don't mind too much, it just doesn't feel the same on it's own. I dont think there's enough decent threads for it to become its own forum. For example you have the photoshop competition, YLYL, Videos, nostalgia, etc. It's almost always the same threads on page 1 and mostly those threads that people are posting in. I just dont think 1 page of good threads should mean it becomes it's own forum. I think i'm talking out of me arse now, so I'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't have official stats or anything, but long story short, each week when I'm doing the Photoshop Competition, when I'm moving the previous competition into the archive and need to look for the archive thread, it's usually on page 3. That's mean we're getting at least a page and a half of new threads each week.

We know we don't have AH numbers or the amount of traffic they get, but when compared to most other threads on Boards, we get more than enough posts and traffic to be given official status as a forum in it's own right. Obviously, we have a few main threads, but that's the same on most forums (Off-Topic threads, main news threads, photo threads)

Basically, due to the differences between AH and CVPL, and given how much traffic CVPL gets, it just no longer made sense for it to be a sub-forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

many fora I've been on automatically change img to url in a quoted post, this would be a great addition if it could be done...

many fora I've been on automatically change img to url in a quoted post, this would be a great addition if it could be done...

I've ran this suggestion up to the Site Devs to see would this be possible. We'll see what they say, then if it's possible it could certainly be something we can look into. Thanks.

Penn wrote: »
    I've ran this suggestion up to the Site Devs to see would this be possible. We'll see what they say, then if it's possible it could certainly be something we can look into. Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure it's possible, the BBcode parser isn't very situation aware (i.e. it doesn't really know what forum or thread it's in, it just knows if IMG/URL/SIZE etc are allowed or not).

We will take it under consideration though :)

So unfortunately, this looks unlikely for now anyway. Sorry.

Elmidena wrote: »
    I'll take a second bash at saying this :)
    I meant pruning the threads once a week or so (given the traffic it gets in such a time frame that's still a lot of work) to go back and remove anything that's just a "repost"....if there's a non-repost image alongside a duplicate then leave it be, but if you weed out the doubles then at the end of the day there'll be a marvellous 10k thread (or whatever the limit is) of pics, instead of getting up to YLYL 4/5 with the predecessors being a catalogue of posts saying "repost" with an occasional pic.

Given the amount of reposts lately I am starting to come around to this idea

I will talk it over with the other Mods and see if we can come up with a workable solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Emotionally and physically it just doesnt feel the same -

Have you considered going to a counselor? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

I have to admit, i really miss Rage comics being part of ylyl,
    sure they have their fancy own forum and such now,..... but...
    Its just not the same.. *runs off to the hills crying* "itssss not the ssssaaammmeeee"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Angeles wrote: »
    I have to admit, i really miss Rage comics being part of ylyl,
    sure they have their fancy own forum and such now,..... but...
    Its just not the same.. *runs off to the hills crying* "itssss not the ssssaaammmeeee"

The original idea of YLYL was to post a pic that challenged you to find something not funny about it. Being polluted with the same joke a couple of hundred times was tedious to me and many other boardsies here. I admit that there is a major element of taste when it comes to humour, but it got really tiring seeing that again and again. Seperating it into it's own thread has only shown how much of a demand others had for it, without negatively affecting YLYL in anyway.

TBH, I feel the same way about all the memes that are constantly posted in there, but accept that's also a matter of taste on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

The original idea of YLYL was to post a pic that challenged you to find something not funny about it.

Actually i was under the impression that you laugh you lose meant you had to find something "actually" Funny enough to make you laugh.

Which is based on the fact that after going through thousands of "funny" posts you become naturally desensitized and the large majority of images continued to be posted cause you to go meh, heh, or smile, but rarely laugh.
    Every once in a while a post will actually make you laugh, hence you lose!

But that meh heh or smile factor is what i would assume keeps people returning, it also causes your humor to adapt to find things like meme's more amusing over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Any reason why on the menu Cool Vids is not in bold? It is still highlighted like a subforum? Im using the beta theme or whatever its called...

novarock wrote: »
    Any reason why on the menu Cool Vids is not in bold? It is still highlighted like a subforum? Im using the beta theme or whatever its called...

AFAIK it's only forums that themselves have subforums that are in bold. See Clearasil & Hormones just above.

I am going to unsticky this (I have an allergy to lots of stickies in the forum)

Thanks for the feedback, there have been some good suggestions and I will follow up on them, some might take some time to implement but they wont be forgotten about

Feel free to ressurect this thread if there are any burning issues

Thanks
    Rec

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but is it possible all the Dolan er comics could be posted in a thread separate to you laugh you lose. Not everyone gets Dolan and it seems like the last few pages of YLYL3 are just filled with Dolan. :)

Jernal wrote: »
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread but is it possible all the Dolan er comics could be posted in a thread separate to you laugh you lose. Not everyone gets Dolan and it seems like the last few pages of YLYL3 are just filled with Dolan. :)

No need to apologise, that is what this thread is for and why it wasn't locked

We are discussing this in the Mods forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm not really a fan of dolan comics but i think i football thread should be first!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

as much as I hate football pics and as divisive as Dolan is, is it not a bit dangerous to start making separate threads for every subgenre of meme? Rage comics are one thing because the subject matter is so broad it can support it's own thread.

what's next, will Gene Wilder get his own thread? Lamebook posts? Animal pictures?

YLYL could cease to exist!

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    as much as I hate football pics and as divisive as Dolan is, is it not a bit dangerous to start making separate threads for every subgenre of meme? Rage comics are one thing because the subject matter is so broad it can support it's own thread.

what's next, will Gene Wilder get his own thread? Lamebook posts? Animal pictures?

YLYL could cease to exist!

This would be my opinion also, it is a difficult one to call

However I was against the rage comics being split and that was successful, hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The football ones though incorporate a variety of different memes and non memes. The core subject matter of the jokes might be same but the method and style delivery is often very different. In some cases the type of humour can vary drastically. In the case of Dolan the style,delivery and type of humour is very unique and consistent. If the thread was to become over saturated with lamebook, gene wilder or any particular meme then I'd likely to be recommending a change on those too, but the thread isn't. It's just recently being over saturated with Dolan.

Jernal wrote: »
    The football ones though incorporate a variety of different memes and non memes. The core subject matter of the jokes might be same but the method and style delivery is often very different. In some cases the type of humour can vary drastically. In the case of Dolan the style,delivery and type of humour is very unique and consistent. If the thread was to become over saturated with lamebook, gene wilder or any particular meme then I'd likely to be recommending a change on those too, but the thread isn't. It's just recently being over saturated with Dolan.

Yup I agree

In other news, new therad for Dolan

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056630318#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Yebbut, everyone has a sense of humour but not an interest in football. We get these captions on pictures of people and they may as well be the posters neighbour for all i know and they're not funny, regardless of my sense of humour.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Yebbut, everyone has a sense of humour but not an interest in football. We get these captions on pictures of people and they may as well be the posters neighbour for all i know and they're not funny, regardless of my sense of humour.

So the same advice applies to anything you don't find funny, scroll past it

The football posts are infrequent enough, if they were happening every other day they would warrant their own thread imo

The problem I found with the Dolan stuff and the reason I was for moving it to its own thread (whereas like The Recliner, I'd generally be against splitting too many things into separate threads) was because most times one was posted, we ended up with a lot of "dafuq I just read" and "WTF is this sh*t" pics, as well as people just saying they didn't find them funny. Not to mention that from what I've seen of Dolan comics (here and elsewhere), a lot of them can go pretty far over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Penn wrote: »
    The problem I found with the Dolan stuff and the reason I was for moving it to its own thread (whereas like The Recliner, I'd generally be against splitting too many things into separate threads) was because most times one was posted, we ended up with a lot of "dafuq I just read" and "WTF is this sh*t" pics, as well as people just saying they didn't find them funny. Not to mention that from what I've seen of Dolan comics (here and elsewhere), a lot of them can go pretty far over the line.

And the fact that 95% of people think they are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I would like somewhere to discuss a post that comes up in one of the other 'Big' threads that don't allow chat. There has been a lot of times when I have wanted to ask a question on something on YLYL but there isn't a place for it there. The same as Photos that shook the world and other threads - it is understandable that the threads themselves aren't the place to discuss photos as it would clutter them up too much but it would be nice to have somewhere where it is possible to ask a question about a photo/picture etc.

There should be a big 'NO COMMENTS' warning in the title of the Dolan thread.

Edit: yeah, just like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I would like somewhere to discuss a post that comes up in one of the other 'Big' threads that don't allow chat. There has been a lot of times when I have wanted to ask a question on something on YLYL but there isn't a place for it there. The same as Photos that shook the world and other threads - it is understandable that the threads themselves aren't the place to discuss photos as it would clutter them up too much but it would be nice to have somewhere where it is possible to ask a question about a photo/picture etc.

1. Minimal chat is allowed AFAIK. Chat only gets removed if it become a long conversation, distracting or if it's just complaining.

2. Nothing to prevent you from stating a discussion thread.

Advertisement