Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another media article

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 455 ✭✭UMP45

well whoever shot the two girls in the shopping centre is just retarded. these are the type of people that will get airsoft banned in this country along with this article.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm gonna be honest, i couldn't give a fúck if airsoft was outlawed but this article is absolute bollocks! The paper is making airsoft guns sound like fúcking wmd's. A sport like this shouldn't be judged by one retards actions.

Please don't slate me for saying i couldn't care if it was banned, it's just my opinion, i grew out of airsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

A sport like this shouldn't be judged by one retards actions.

i can understand your felling on this , unfortunately the reality is that we will be judged on the idouts in most peoples eyes all you can try and do is minimise the impact of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Puding wrote: »
    i can understand your felling on this , unfortunately the reality is that we will be judged on the idouts in most peoples eyes all you can try and do is minimise the impact of it
    Sigh.

Article is silly though, full of exaggeration and clearly written by someone with no knowledge of airsoft. Pandering to mass going auld biddies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The only thing retarded there is the journalism. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Steve wrote: »
    The only thing retarded there is the journalism. :rolleyes:

There was journalism in there? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sigh.

Article is silly though, full of exaggeration and clearly written by someone with no knowledge of airsoft. Pandering to mass going auld biddies.

The person writing that article didn't need any knowledge of airsoft. They wanted sensationalism and they had it before the first paragraph was even finished.

"powerful 6mm" indeed ...

It's another pile of rubbish that I wouldn't even grace the crack of my @rse with after a rough night out, and that's being polite about it. Best thing to do is ignore it and ergo not give it the oxygen of publicity. It's not exactly as if "Sligo Today" is a broadsheet gracing the inside of the oireachtas now is it? Slow news week, all the staff on holiday so they've resorted to getting monkeys to write something for them; about as close to journalism as the Pluto is to Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Puding wrote: »
    Sigh.

Is it lonely up there on yer high pedestal?

As for this article Iam not going to read it as like every other one ive read… a mad rant… it's just going to waste some of my time and agrivate me. If worst comes to worst they can take my rif's from my cold dead hands I paid for them and I paid tax on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

CCTV footage of the incident also showed a number of mothers with babies and toddlers in buggys in the immediate vicinity of the shooting. In a 2008 Waterford shooting, a teenage girl lost an eye in a similar incident.

How true is that? First time I've read it in one of these articles.

Also I love the references to Glocks, you would swear Glock pistols corrupted people's minds and made them murderers the way some newspapers go on about them.

Jsmurff wrote: »

As for this article Iam not going to read it as like every other one ive read… a mad rant… it's just going to waste some of my time and agrivate me. If worst comes to worst they can take my rif's from my cold dead hands I paid for them and I paid tax on them.

Nah I have a few friends up here with me! :P Forgive me, but to qualify in calling some one an idiot, you should AT LEAST be able to spell it! :P My standards aren't that high now!
    I rarely like anything you have to say Lemming but I must give you props, you got it on the button!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Blay wrote: »
    How true is that? First time I've read it in one of these articles.

In a 2008 Waterford shooting, a teenage girl lost an eye in a similar incident.

The girls in question was shot 3 times with an air rifle at a halting site, part of a traveller feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If only we had some sorts of harsh laws for assault and brandishing a replica weapon to deal with this...

If only we had some sorts of harsh laws for assault and brandishing a replica weapon to deal with this...

I reckon your onto something there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Nah I have a few friends up here with me! :P Forgive me, but to qualify in calling some one an idiot, you should AT LEAST be able to spell it! :P
    gramer and speling nazis shoud report teh posts and not cal peple out on thread - k? thx. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Steve wrote: »
    gramer and speling nazis shoud report teh posts and not cal peple out on thread - k? thx. :)

In the finest traditions of the Monty Python "Witch" sketch ...

BURN HIM!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Jsmurff wrote: »

Nah I have a few friends up here with me! :P Forgive me, but to qualify in calling some one an idiot, you should AT LEAST be able to spell it! :P My standards aren't that high now!
    I rarely like anything you have to say Lemming but I must give you props, you got it on the button!
    Well everyone is entitled to their mistakes and what gives you the right to class him as any less then you? That's was the point of the pedestal reference :rolleyes: also I would hold puddings opinions in a higher regard then yours

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

LOL at the article and the content

Exaggerating to the max constantly referring to them at 6mm weapons.

There is numerous spelling mistakes and poor grammar throughout. it only adds weight to actually intelligent people disregarding such a poor read.

The silly people will jump on it , evident by the comments posted below.

Although what I would say after reading a number of things on Facebook and other news websites

Id wish airsofters would just keep their mouth shut and let someone who is actually coherent respond in debates or on actual publicly viewed sites

The amount of knuckle draggers posting in defence of airsoft is just even more damaging.

The most recent example had to be on the facebook page of some site Closer where he posted a pretty outragous comment about anyone with a gun firing over the limit will be reported to the guards.

Then you had replies like "what about the 5% deviance"

And i **** you not someone ,mentioned the Doppler effect

It was like 2008 all over again.........

So my one wish is when this stuff is written , people just shut up and move on , because while one persons actions shouldnt tarnish a community, when loads of people start leaving comments or trying to defend airsoft I typically find it makes the community look like we are a bunch of windowlickers who found the internet yesterday

And on a separate note people need to get real.

Airsoft is on no ones radar and is not anyones concern. There is a harrowing rise in the level of youths and teens carrying knives and blades and instigating fights or slashing random, strangers for the lulz

Across Swords and Malahide there has been 13 incidents of youth stabbings in the last few weeks . Funny enough only two of them made the news, and it was local at that.

A young lad walking down the Village was randomly bottled and whilst on the ground was slashed a few times. For the complete laugh

A girl up in the Hill was bottled by a fella after he was refused entry into a house party he was not invited too.

People in this country need a serious reality check on where the actual issues in youth are. I for one would much rather have a GBB put in my face then a blade. Atleast i know d be walking away from the BB gun

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

TheDoc wrote: »
    LOL at the article and the content

Exaggerating to the max constantly referring to them at 6mm weapons.

There is numerous spelling mistakes and poor grammar throughout. it only adds weight to actually intelligent people disregarding such a poor read.

The silly people will jump on it , evident by the comments posted below.

Although what I would say after reading a number of things on Facebook and other news websites

Id wish airsofters would just keep their mouth shut and let someone who is actually coherent respond in debates or on actual publicly viewed sites

The amount of knuckle draggers posting in defence of airsoft is just even more damaging.

The most recent example had to be on the facebook page of some site Closer where he posted a pretty outragous comment about anyone with a gun firing over the limit will be reported to the guards.

Then you had replies like "what about the 5% deviance"

And i **** you not someone ,mentioned the Doppler effect

It was like 2008 all over again.........

So my one wish is when this stuff is written , people just shut up and move on , because while one persons actions shouldnt tarnish a community, when loads of people start leaving comments or trying to defend airsoft I typically find it makes the community look like we are a bunch of windowlickers who found the internet yesterday
    agreed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I'm gonna be honest, i couldn't give a fúck if airsoft was outlawed but this article is absolute bollocks! The paper is making airsoft guns sound like fúcking wmd's. A sport like this shouldn't be judged by one retards actions.

Please don't slate me for saying i couldn't care if it was banned, it's just my opinion, i grew out of airsoft.

Not slating you dude but if you have "grown out of airsoft" why you still posting in the airsoft forum??

I know secretly you still crave a skirmish...

Come on, come back to the darkside young skywalker airsoft misses you :(......

Anyway like most said its just an un-biased opinion on something they clearly no nothing about. I particularly like the piece where they describe AK47's as weapons used by terrorists and holsters that are used by the CIA. What an absolute crock of sheeite.

You could just as easily trot into a hardware shop get yourself some screwdrivers, craft knives etc and have something that is a object that can cause death or severe injury...might be in a previous article from the same author..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

In other news, the virgin Mary appeared to two pensioners in the form of an apparition in the car park of the Tesco in Ballykiltehob. Legislation is expected imminently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

575478_460s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

gerrowadat wrote: »
    In other news, the virgin Mary appeared to two pensioners in the form of an apparition in the car park of the Tesco in Ballykiltehob. Legislation is expected imminently.

That pretty much covers it. Comments on the journalistic integrity (or lack there of) in articles like this is irrelevant. There are plenty of people out there that will lap up articles of this type like biscuits and gravy, and it's these 'Bleeding Heart Brigades' that envoke the patented Irish government knee-jerk reaction - 'Ban it' and this is what may lead to the reverting of the fire arms act and the effective death of airsoft in this country. It's an easy points scoring mechanism for ministers and councillors to play to the worries and fears of the public. 'We've saved you from the evils of these replica weapons and probably saved countless lives in the future by getting rid of these high-powered implements of destruction... horray for us!'

Any hobby, sport, statement or literature that either skirts to close to the law, is directed at a government or public body or is demonised by the media enough to provoke a public reaction suffers the same fate - The Nanny State, hard at work.

Cynical? Perhaps, but it will only take one incident with enough fuel added to it to bury airsoft in this country for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭McSheez

Tesco school of journalism and douchebaggery right there, TheDoc's right, best to not rise to it. WTF is a "bravado style individual" anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

Whenever I see an article that features airsoft This springs to mind.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/journalist-firearms-identification-guide.jpg :pac::pac::pac:

but on a more serious note shockingly bad on the part of the writer

McSheez wrote: »
    Tesco school of journalism and douchebaggery right there, TheDoc's right, best to not rise to it. WTF is a "bravado style individual" anyway?

When Clint Eastwood would strut down a dusty street and brap 18 Meixcans with 2 six shooters......

Now its a lad in a Colimbia jacket bottling birds for the laugh......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Powerful 6mm weapons.
    Knives and bottles in swords
    Pipe bombs every other day been thrown around tallaght like there euroshop water balloons.
    Minister noonan attempting to blackmail the whole country .
    Mary Lou thinking she can fight Europe as if shes the secret love of the ould battleaxe thatcher.

At least find something decent to moan about .
    My 2nd child is about to be born with the prospect of man city on top of the premier league ,

And I cant find a pair of decent all weather boots

As for the article the joys of democracy and free speech.

We really do need a military coup and dictatorship

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Not slating you dude but if you have "grown out of airsoft" why you still posting in the airsoft forum??

I know secretly you still crave a skirmish...

Come on, come back to the darkside young skywalker airsoft misses you :(......

Oh this is like my second post here in about 5 months, i noticed how mental the moderating seemed to be earlier on this week and thought i'd stop by every once in a while for a few laughs.

And the main reason i grew out of it is HRTA closing down, real pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

the amount of times that the AEG's and GBB pistols are categorised as weapons and guns is stupid. this has been mentioned already but the writer clearly has no experience with airsoft, it says that 'had it been closer it would have caused serious injury'. the writer clearly not aware that we infact play in CQB environments. I will however admit that the person that is responsible is an idiot and i can fully understand why this article was written, but it's the way they're written which annoys me

Advertisement