Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Kiith wrote: »
    I thought the only way to get the 'Sheppard Lives' ending was to play multiplayer?

Or use the iOS app.

That's, of course, providing that the "Shepard lives" ending is the actual "best" one and not some kind of minor reward for the awful indignity of having to play a fun multiplayer mode for a minimum of about two hours or so.

That is to say - the 'best' ending might actually be the synthesis one, seeing as it remains locked at lower readiness scores.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oh i've no problem with the multiplayer. It's great fun. It's just that Bioware did say that you can get the 'best' (so to speak) ending simply by playing the single player...which I had thought wasn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kiith wrote: »
    Oh i've no problem with the multiplayer. It's great fun. It's just that Bioware did say that you can get the 'best' (so to speak) ending simply by playing the single player...which I had thought wasn't true.

It isn't within the normal game.

The max war assets I can get is about 8000. Half of that is 4000 and 4000 is oftentimes less than 5000 - I think that's the requirement to get "shephard lives".

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Also, on Asari reproduction..

Source: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Asari

oops, things are gonna get awkward when Shep gets back from that lecture tour and finds a little blue baby

"wait... I can explain...eh....I wasn't thinking straight.....i was eh, indoctrinated.."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Gbear, I've done it on single player, all three endings without having played any coop. The war assets you pick up from scanning and sidequests etc.. give you enough to unlock all three.
    Galactic readiness at 50% from start to end(s).

Oddly enough i don't think it's that hard to do at all, considering i got all three on my first playthrough just by wanting to see everything the single player game had to offer by means of quests/exploring and the paininthearse scanning..didnt enjoy that at all, it was just as annoying, though shorter than the ME2 scanning.

It's definitely doable!

• Advertisement

That is to say - the 'best' ending might actually be the synthesis one, seeing as it remains locked at lower readiness scores.

This is what we are led to believe anyway, but as I pointed out earlier, if you watch this comparison video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

the soldiers on earth don't celebrate the victory over the reapers which kind of contradicts the effort it takes to obtain this "best" ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nope, it does involve doing a lot more side-quests for war assets, and arsing around with the system scanning. The coop certainly helps but it is not a requirement to get all three endings.

My first playthrough, i did zero co-op, my galactic readiness was at 50% for the whole game and i had all three options, i still have the save here if you'd like it? could probably root it out and mail it to you.

Really? I thought I did every side-quest (besides the Hanar diplomat, which was glitched) and scanned every inch of the galaxy. Maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Gbear, I've done it on single player, all three endings without having played any coop. The war assets you pick up from scanning and sidequests etc.. give you enough to unlock all three.
    Galactic readiness at 50% from start to end(s).

Oddly enough i don't think it's that hard to do at all, considering i got all three on my first playthrough just by wanting to see everything the single player game had to offer by means of quests/exploring and the paininthearse scanning..didnt enjoy that at all, it was just as annoying, though shorter than the ME2 scanning.

It's definitely doable!

I didn't mention the options on the citadel. I was talking about the little cutscene after where shephard is shown in the ruins of London (or maybe Rigel 7. Who the **** knows with this lot) breathing. I'm pretty sure you need 5k war assets and I don't think you can get that (seeing as I did literally everything and only got 8k) without multiplayer.

On my first playthrough I had about 7k war assets and 50% readiness and didn't get the cutscene.

Just had a thought, I have the 'from ashes' DLC, that could be counting towards more war assets than would be available in SP without the DLC. So yeah, I could be wrong there too

Ian7 wrote: »
    This is what we are led to believe anyway, but as I pointed out earlier, if you watch this comparison video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

the soldiers on earth don't celebrate the victory over the reapers which kind of contradicts the effort it takes to obtain this "best" ending.

....sure, why not, if you say so.

• Advertisement

....sure, why not, if you say so.

Well done! No really, the way you hold out for any opportunity to strike with what you consider to be a witty retort. It appears you have nothing but sarcasm in your arsenal though and why the mods continue to allow you to post here really is beyond me.

and yes, i do say so.

It appears you have nothing but sarcasm in your arsenal though and why the mods continue to allow you to post here really is beyond me.

Because deep down they really really really .... just don't care.

But please, feel free to report my posts constantly if you think I ought to be banned. Be my guest.

and yes, i do say so.

Seems like a damn insignificant thing to pick up as a the major reason against it.
    The synthesis ending is the only one that's unavailable as an option if you have the bare minimum readiness, which makes it a pretty good candidate for "best" as it requires more single player effort than the others.
    The "Sheppard lives (maybe)" bit at the end can, so far, only be unlocked by online play so either someone at bioware made a mistake with some simple maths or it's an intentional reward for going online - not sure a 'best ending' can be differentiated from all other by a few seconds of footage right at the end.
    Or maybe it can, stupider things have happened.

So this stuff with solders not cheering really doesn't counteract that - hell, aren't they half machine or some shit at that point? not sure what you'd expect them to be doing.... but now were going down the nerd hole of pointless minutiae and bullshit so i'm gonna leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So this stuff with solders not cheering really doesn't counteract that - hell, aren't they half machine or some shit at that point? not sure what you'd expect them to be doing.... but now were going down the nerd hole of pointless minutiae and bullshit so i'm gonna leave it there.

Because deep down they really really really .... just don't care.

But please, feel free to report my posts constantly if you think I ought to be banned. Be my guest.

Thanks, ill keep that in mind.
    Seems like a damn insignificant thing to pick up as a the major reason against it.

I don't recall saying it was a "major" reason against it. I was merely making a suggestion to which for some unknown reason, you took offence and decided a sarcastic comment was more appropriate than a constructive criticism.

The synthesis ending is the only one that's unavailable as an option if you have the bare minimum readiness, which makes it a pretty good candidate for "best" as it requires more single player effort than the others.
    The "Sheppard lives (maybe)" bit at the end can, so far, only be unlocked by online play so either someone at bioware made a mistake with some simple maths or it's an intentional reward for going online - not sure a 'best ending' can be differentiated from all other by a few seconds of footage right at the end.
    Or maybe it can, stupider things have happened.

The Shepard lives bit doesn't happen at the end of the synthesis ending.

I don't recall saying it was a "major" reason against it. I was merely making a suggestion to which for some unknown reason, you took offence and decided a sarcastic comment was more appropriate than a constructive criticism.

There is a very reasoned and logical explanation why I made fun of that idea.
    Because it was stupid, that's the why.

The Shepard lives bit doesn't happen at the end of the synthesis ending.

Yes, I do know that.

gizmo wrote: »

......I'll be back in ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

But in essence: why are you entitled to a service from, say, EA - multiplayer in the case of ME3, which has constant server and maintenance costs attached,

Not always applicable. Note how EA is renting out BF3 servers now for a fee.
    And- actually I agree, I don't want to open this can of worms..lol :)

Probably been posted here but since I only finished it recently, I was looking around online for theories and explanations and this seems to be the one that makes the most ''sense'' so that's what I'm going with.

Glad that I went with the ''right'' ending and destroyed them even though I didn't have enough war assets to see Shepard take a breath at the end.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Glad that I went with the ''right'' ending and destroyed them even though I didn't have enough war assets to see Shepard take a breath at the end.

Well at least you got to see the soldiers cheering the victory. :pac:

I'm guessing they were cheering because the Reapers were falling over. If you saw the Reapers just drifting off, you'd be all like "WTF?" too.

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    I'm guessing they were cheering because the Reapers were falling over. If you saw the Reapers just drifting off, you'd be all like "WTF?" too.

Aye, but if you look at the comparison video I posted on the last page you can see that in the Control "good" ending, the Soldiers are cheering as the Reapers drift off.
    They don't cheer in the destroy "bad" or control "bad" endings just as they don't in the synthesis ending. I still think it's relevant and that it's a nod toward the correct decision/s.

• Advertisement

Aye, but if you look at the comparison video I posted on the last page you can see that in the Control "good" ending, the Soldiers are cheering as the Reapers drift off.

Does it not have to do with your EMS? I always believed they were cheering at how undamaged London was, but if London took huge damage in the fighting they stand there without celebration.

Does it not have to do with your EMS? I always believed they were cheering at how undamaged London was, but if London took huge damage in the fighting they stand there without celebration.

Yeah, I think so.

Poor EMS = London vaporised = Dead soldiers.
    Average EMS = London devastated = Shocked soliders.
    Good EMS = London saved = Celebrating soldiers.

Possibly, actually that would make sense i suppose.

Just remembered there, the buildings aren't damaged in the synthesis ending. I think. Ill have to check :)

just checked, yeah buildings intact in synthesis. No cheering

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So will I have to play through all of the final mission again just to see the new DLC when it is released? Because I don't fancy hours of game play just to get some slightly meatier epilogues.

that or watch it on youtube an hour after it's released :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've avoided this thread until now because I've been slowly playing through Mass Effect and I only just finished it.

I picked the synthesis ending and walked into the beam of light. After thinking about it, that was probably one of the worst endings to a game I've ever played. I'm almost shocked that a game which has a story that is so detailed and captivating could have such a weak and thought-less ending. What a let down.

I'll go and check the other available endings and troll through this thread a bit. I'm hoping that I just got a bad ending and that there are other decent endings available.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Notorious wrote: »
    I've avoided this thread until now because I've been slowly playing through Mass Effect and I only just finished it.

I picked the synthesis ending and walked into the beam of light. After thinking about it, that was probably one of the worst endings to a game I've ever played. I'm almost shocked that a game which has a story that is so detailed and captivating could have such a weak and thought-less ending. What a let down.

I'll go and check the other available endings and troll through this thread a bit. I'm hoping that I just got a bad ending and that there are other decent endings available.

You can watch them on youtube. I must warn you though, you will be very disappointed.

You can watch them on youtube. I must warn you though, you will be very disappointed.

Yeah, I'm debating whether to do that now. I read somewhere that the only difference is the colour of the beam the Crucible emits.

What was the extra DLC ending that was supposed to be released - has that even come out yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Notorious wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm debating whether to do that now. I read somewhere that the only difference is the colour of the beam the Crucible emits.

What was the extra DLC ending that was supposed to be released - has that even come out yet?

Yeah, it's just a change of colour, more or less. The DLC hasn't been released yet.

• Advertisement

The DLC hasn't been released yet.

That's what I thought, but one of my friends was convinced it was included in the Resurgance pack. I don't know if I want to see a re-worked ending after what they've already given us.

Advertisement