Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mad Neighbour from Hell

• 29-04-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I really need proper advice on this. My wife and I bought an apartment in Co. Kildare a few years ago. On the day we moved in the resident of the Apartment above ours (4 apts in a block) stared at us out of her window all the while it took us to move our possessions in.
    Since that day she has constantly caused problems such as complaining to the management company about the slightest things. She has an obsession with security and parking issues in the small private complex (20 apts in all).
    We eventually moved away from the area and because we couldnt sell the property because of the current climate we have rented it out.
    We have had several different tenancies there and most have worked out great but in a lot of cases she has caused them to move out.
    She seems to have trouble with couples and couples with children. She is living alone with her cat(s) and stays up all night looking out the window and knows about everything that moves.
    At present she is apparently terrorising our tenants. They are an Indian couple with two young children. They have been great tenants and a pleasure to deal with. It was a seperate neighbour who informed us that the problem neighbour was "terrorising" our tenants by playing loud music when a child cries etc etc.
    I am unable to clearly show how much of a problem she has been to us here but we just cant stick it any longer.
    Any complaints she makes etc are done anonymously be her eg slipping notes under doors, anonymous emails to authorities etc etc.

What would you do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you informed the management company of her behaviour? They should be able to take steps to sort her out.

If you have proof that she is repeatedly carrying on like this then you could inform her that if it continues you will have no choice but to report her to the Gardai for harrassment. Im not sure what they can do but its certainly an avenue that I would explore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

That's an awkward one, she seems to have stepped over the boundary from eccentric to downright nasty. But she isnt doing anything illegal, and I presume she is an owner occupier.

I presume also you did the whole trying to talk to her when you lived there. I'm sorry, I'm not sure there is anything you can do, except sell up if feasible, or rent out in future to people she won't find objectionable, to whom she will gift a quiet life.

But she isnt doing anything illegal

Harrassment is illegal as far as Im aware?
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure there is anything you can do, except sell up if feasible, or rent out in future to people she won't find objectionable, to whom she will gift a quiet life.

So basically sell your property or spent an eternity looking for the "right" tenant, just to please some old lunatic who is either off her rocker or is just downright nasty? Sounds a bit extreme and defeatist to be honest. Id be starting with a complain to the management company (repeatedly, in writing, and every time something like this happens), and then take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

TRY and get tenants that don,t have kids.Maybe you could install some soundproofing in the bedroom ceilings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Can you find out if the tenant owns or rents, either way report her to the board of mgn

Why dont you write your own notes and put them under her door about noise pollution and harassment of other tenants

Your entitled to have whoever you want living in your property and do not need some crazy cat woman causing upset and dismay, get your tenants to keep a log of the harassment so you can go with solid proof of her madness to the board of mgn

Also I would go up and have a quite word with her about her behaviour also, I mean whats she going to do get her cat to attack you, tell her you know what she is up to, its not on, and that you will have action taken against her if she persists with this behaviour...you could also report her to the ISPCA for keeping all those cats in an apartment are you sure they are all being looked after properly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 richie1313

Thanks guys for all your replies so far.

I forgot to say that she owns her own apartment.

We have sent her solicitors letters in the past. I am sure that for a successful prosecution to take place in court I would have to have to get the cooperation of the tenants to give evidence since we are not living/witnessing the goings on anymore. Getting the cooperation might be difficult from them possibly.

Also she avoids any face to face encounters and does most of her complaining hiding behind her closed door.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

i believe an eye for an eye is called for here
    cats dont like crushed light bulbs in there food

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i believe an eye for an eye is called for here
    cats dont like crushed light bulbs in there food

You've just earned yourself a ban for animal cruelty (not to mention illegal advice). If you want to make horrific suggestions like this- take it elsewhere, you are not welcome on this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

djimi wrote: »
    So basically sell your property or spent an eternity looking for the "right" tenant, just to please some old lunatic who is either off her rocker or is just downright nasty? Sounds a bit extreme and defeatist to be honest. Id be starting with a complain to the management company (repeatedly, in writing, and every time something like this happens), and then take it from there.

Not defeatist imo, just pragmatic. What in reality can the Management Company do about a women who stares out her window, puts music on when babies cry or sends anonymous notes?

Not defeatist imo, just pragmatic. What in reality can the Management Company do about a women who stares out her window, puts music on when babies cry or sends anonymous notes?

Im not actually sure what steps they take tbh, but I know it is their responsibility to deal with issues of an antisocial nature in the complex (the same as if you have some bellend blasting out loud music 24/7 or having parties 7 nights a week), and usually they seem to have a pretty good success rate when it comes to sorting such issues.

Whether or not they can help I dont know, but I do know that they should be the first people that the OP get in contact with when trying to get this problem sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Move some hard core drug dealing types in for a while, that should soften her cough.:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bambi wrote: »
    Move some hard core drug dealing types in for a while, that should soften her cough.:eek:

Let me remind everyone- this is the Accommodation and Property forum- not After Hours.

Bambi- you have earned yourself an infraction.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Is this woman elderly?I'd say the best you can hope for is that she kicks the bucket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

does'nt sound like there is much you can do OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just a thought - are you allowed cats in an apartment building. You aren't in ours! Maybe she's not the only one who can raise issues with the management.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

athtrasna wrote: »
    Just a thought - are you allowed cats in an apartment building. You aren't in ours! Maybe she's not the only one who can raise issues with the management.

Was just about to post the same question. Could be worth a shot, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What is in the notes? Anything actionable? You need a positive handle on this. If they are offensive, then involve the Gardai.

Have a word with HSE also; A Geriatric Social Worker might help. This was suggested when we had all the trouble with the octagenarian "blackguard" up the lane. ( not my word. this is what the ll calls him..)

Have a word with Citizen;s info?

There must be some way in this.

Yet the only help we got was when the old man theatened the Guards and raised his fists to them. Our pain mattered not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

darkdubh wrote: »
    Is this woman elderly?I'd say the best you can hope for is that she kicks the bucket.
    Less of this please.

Advertisement