Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russell Brand at Drug Inquiry (Full Segment)

• 26-04-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Pretty funny at parts.
    30 mins, well worth the time.
    For those wanting to see Russell's segment in its entirety. Russell Brand and Chip Somers speak to the Home Affairs Committee about the nature of addiction, methods of recovery, and changing society's outlook on and treatment of addicts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Is this actually funny or does he just go "druggy wuggies" a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

chin_grin wrote: »

Has that guy ever been funny ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

chin_grin wrote: »
    Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Pretty funny at parts.
    30 mins, well worth the time.

Like I said...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Morlar wrote: »

Have you ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

OP is Russell Brand. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Have you ? :)

I have my moments. Unlike Russel brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Morlar wrote: »

Very much so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Lennon Sweet Mineralogist

He makes good points. Should put a shirt on, though. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

My father is an addict and will systematically plan when he engages in his habits. He will go back to work, visit me, and appear like a model father. When he has enough money saved, he disappears without warning, to drink all the money he has earned. I cannot see how this is a disease. If someone coped with stress or emotional issues through engaging in an extreme sport, in which they could get injured, they would not be considered as having a disease. If my father chooses to cope with stress or emotional issues through engaging in alcoholism which affects his health, then why should this then be deemed a disease? He is not diseased. He gives up when he wants, and elects to drink again when he wants.

We have supported him at every chance, even though we live away from him. After Christmas, when he had the expense of it out of the way and his earnings left, he disappeared until this week, when he had a seizure, and lost his memory from undernourishment and drinking. He thinks he is in a pub when in reality, he is critically ill in hospital. He won't remember how worried we are, his daughter cleaning up the filth around his feet, the fear that his brother felt when he found him with eyes open, and lying still on the bathroom floor.
    He gets out of this free.

Alcoholism is no a disease in my eyes. The real disease is the worry and fear that it spreads around families. The disease of the landlords who said my father should stop drinking while they took his money and handed him more whiskey. Hopefully, he will not remember the friends he had in the pub, keeping him drunk to make sure he paid for their rounds.

If I had cancer, I could not decide in the morning, that I would be cancer free for six months, the way my father decides suddenly, that he can be alcohol free for six months until the funds are there again.

Look and see where this disease is. It is within societies thinking. We hide behind the mask of disease to put our doubts around our own choices into the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I liked the "time is infinite" line.
    The video is just Russell's opinions and he is absolutely qualified to speak about addiction. It shows the need for input from outside government when making addiction treatment decisions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement