Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aidan's tip of the week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

see if your reverse lights work , they switch on the gearbox fails a lot. there is a fuse , but it almost never ever blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

thanks aidan bulb and fuse working , no reversing lights must be gear box switch,will give it a go tomorrow ....again thanks for the imfo and quick reply cheers noel

What year is your van?

aidan the van is 05 i see the switch on the gear box , wires have a little clip i will leave it to see if you have tip on how it comes off thanks noel.. ps i have a long range socket in the size

It's just awkward , I've done loads and just manage it through patience..

• Advertisement

thanks aidan up and runing again . awkward is not the word for it ,all the blogs on google say the go regular, i missed the camera more than the reverse lamp cheers noel

They go often , rainwater drips onto them . I always keep them in stock now to be honest , the last few years...

Anyhoo , back to business for 2012! Up the walls in the garage these days , but just had a thought..... If your camper has been idle a while , go light the boiler/heater , especially if it's a Truma Combi . The flies seem to love them , I;ve had to strip a few to dig them out! If you're lucky , they'll burn out of them with just a nasty smell for a few mins .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 schoonerman

hi Aidan just new to this forum and been reading your very usefull tips perhaps you can help with my fridge its an electrolux rm4400 it works ok on mains and battery but wont keep cool on gas. there is heat coming from the burner vent but the fridge is not cooling. have taken it out turned it upside down as someone recommended but still not working the flame at the burner is blue and doesnt seem to have much power in it . any suggestions would be appreciated ? ps van is a Hymer 544 1998 think its the original fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

hi Aidan just new to this forum and been reading your very usefull tips perhaps you can help with my fridge its an electrolux rm4400 it works ok on mains and battery but wont keep cool on gas. there is heat coming from the burner vent but the fridge is not cooling. have taken it out turned it upside down as someone recommended but still not working the flame at the burner is blue and doesnt seem to have much power in it . any suggestions would be appreciated ? ps van is a Hymer 544 1998 think its the original fridge.

Did you try replacing the jet in it?
    Had same prob as yourself...if the flame looks poor it would be the first thing I'd suspect.
    After that maybe your flue could use a decoking (clean) but it's prob just a blocked or dirty jet.. They are cheap enough and fragile so best replace.
    Marty

hi thanks for the reply I have cleaned the jet and have a good blue flame but I notice the flame does not alter ie get smaller if i turn down the thermostat reading . Im sure the flame should get smaller as I turn down the setting . any ideas will but back in situ tomorrow and flame it up again and fingers crossed. happy camping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

I notice the flame does not alter ie get smaller if i turn down the thermostat reading . Im sure the flame should get smaller as I turn down the setting .

Dont know for sure but I reckon that the flame will just cut out when the desired temp is reached.......ie the flame is on full to get to termo setting and then cuts out....cuts back in then when the temp increases

Can anybody confirm this theory or alternatively tell me how it works

from the info I have gathered the flame stays lighting because if it went out the reignighter would start clicking indicating no flame at the burner. i am told that adjusting the thermostat setting does not effect the size of the flame and this seems to be correct cause when I turn down the thermostat setting the flame just decreases a little but this does not mean that my thermostat is working properly. there are 3 things that effect the operation of the fridge being level the correct heat applied to the burner and the ventilation available. if either one of these are incorrect the fridge will not operate correctly.check out this web site for techinical details on faults www.gasrefrigeration.net/dom_techdata/MAN loads of info on fault finding. happy camping

Malta1 wrote: »
    Dont know for sure but I reckon that the flame will just cut out when the desired temp is reached.......ie the flame is on full to get to termo setting and then cuts out....cuts back in then when the temp increases

Can anybody confirm this theory or alternatively tell me how it works

that's only on the newer style ones that auto ignite.

hi aidan thanks for your reply my van is 14 years old so the fridge musnt be the original on ethen I believe its not in production any more rm4400. tempremental bloody thing been working on it for days and still not right I cant even get the fridge out of the van . so am stuck with it might be able to get it out through a window. happy camping

never failed to take one , even a fridge freezer type , out the door . Strange .

Anyhoo , back from my charity work stint at the Likoni school for the Blind in Mombasa , Kenya , and raring for road again!
    I know a good few MHs are idle this time of year , but even so it's still a good idea to take them out for a quick spin and run all the systems , something to do on a lazy Sunday perhaps? I would suggest popping the bonnet , checking the oil and water first , and having a peek underneath for any suspicious pools.
    Then starting it up, switching the fridge to 12v, leaving it tick over for 10 mins , then heading out the road for a wee drive , maybe to the nearest petrol station and checking the tire pressures , including the spare.
    Back home again , maybe put in some water , run the taps , the heater/boiler on gas , the fridge too , even the hob/cooker . Even for only a couple of minutes . But all the better if you can leave the heater on for an hour , to air out the 'van . Maybe open a close a few windows and skylights , to be sure they're not stuck .
    Then if you can plug in the mains for a while , to be sure the leisure battery is charging , and to top it up .
    Assuming all the rest is well , maybe check the lights outside , if I'm on my own I rest something against the brake pedal .
    After all that , drain the water down again in case of frost , turn off the gas and switch off the power , disconnect the mains etc .

I know it seems like a load of work when you read it , but really it's stuff you'd run through in an hour or two , tops . And you'll have the satisfaction of knowing your MH is all set for road come the like of the Easter break , or indeed , even a "rosemantic" Valentines weekend!

Regards all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 noelscamper

Hi Aidan,
    I have a Burstner A535, and I am new to campers. I was wandering if the engine battery is on charge when the mains are plugged in. Any information would be helpful.

Noel

Not sure , and not really what this thread is about Noel , but welcome to the forum , and maybe stick up a new thread , you might have more people seeing this .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Hi Aidan,
    I have a Burstner A535, and I am new to campers. I was wandering if the engine battery is on charge when the mains are plugged in. Any information would be helpful./QUOTE]

just wasted the hole day trying go get the hobby going because the van battery went flat in storage which in turn caused the alarm to lock me out,spent 3 hours fiddling about with reset codes before i got it started and the fob is still not locking the van nightmare to sort out.I had the van plugged it for the last 3 weeks so it clearly was not charging the van battery while plugged in,so keep the van battery topped up by giving it a short run of putting it on a trickle charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 noelscamper

Thanks for that info, looks like I will either have to keep running it or buy a trickle charger

not that many MHs charge the engine battery from the onboard mains charger , it'd be the exception rather than the rule . And it's not recommended to leave the MH plugged in constantly , can be hard on the battery .

• Advertisement

Got an old toothbrush? they make for a perfect tool for cleaning out the little "dirt gathering" ridge at the top of where the window frame meets the MH side . Time and time again I see nice clean campers with crud and/or greenery embedded there , as a lot of people are afraid to power wash the MH . If that stuff is left there , over time it'll swell the joint , allowing water past the seal . And then you've a leaky window... leading to damage to the wall , soft timber etc .
    Little bit of sudsy water and the toothbrush , and it'll pick it out without harming anything .

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Aiden,
    While your on the subject of exterior maintanance and cleaning , I have a few questions for ya.
    1) How harmful is power washing your van ? Obviously I gotta be careful near vents but does it do any harm to the seals ?
    2) What cleaner, detergent, suds do you use / recommend ?
    3) What are the benefits of waxing your camper ?
    4) Do you buff-up your van ? What do you use for this , elbow grease or a professional polishing machine ?
    Thanks again Aiden.
    Kevin.

demoreino wrote: »
    Aiden,
    While your on the subject of exterior maintanance and cleaning , I have a few questions for ya.
    1) How harmful is power washing your van ? Obviously I gotta be careful near vents but does it do any harm to the seals ?
    2) What cleaner, detergent, suds do you use / recommend ?
    3) What are the benefits of waxing your camper ?
    4) Do you buff-up your van ? What do you use for this , elbow grease or a professional polishing machine ?
    Thanks again Aiden.
    Kevin.

1. Not harmful if you use a bit of common sense , and not use high pressure in delicate areas , like directly at edges or seals , or vents .
    2. I use a non Caustic all purpose detergent with the wash , called Traffic film remover , removes most things but doesn;t take the gloss off paint/grp or windows. Just be careful , some T-F-Rs are caustic .
    3. A waxed camper stays cleaner for longer , it protects the paint finish , and is easier to clean when it does get grubby . Plus it looks a helluva lot better ... Also if it's GRP bodied , it stops the GRP fading .
    4. My van Kevin? Don't have one of my own , but if I had , I would do a combination of elbow grease and a polisher . I have a heavy duty "G-Mop" , for use with cutting compounds , mostly for taking out scratches or really badly dulled paint , and a Dual action , random orbital type polisher for "normal" polishing , it doesn't leave the circular swirls ordinary rotary polishers use . Of course you always need to do it by hand in the spots that you can't get into with the machine(s).

The first time you compound and polish a camper , you'll hate the job . it's a time consuming , arm killing , boring job . But....... it'll look half it's age! And if you do it right , you'll find you'll do it in a fraction of the time with just a polish/wax the next time .

oh and I use normal car polishes , I find they work as well or better than the so called motorhome specific polishes . That said I only use the better quality ones , like AutoGlym , Farecla , or Concept .

Eureka !!! I finally fixed my fridge, thanks to Aidans tips which i researched. fridge wouldnt work on gas so I changed the jet and it worked ok, left it for a week or two and tried again but would not work when the safety valve was released, so had to take out fridge again another hours work and following Aidans tip from a long ago thread I released the top of the thermo couple where it enters the safety valve withdrew the whole lot and replaced and magic its working again. thanks also to Stan in co Mayo for phone instructions on what to try . Happy camping again.

There's a lot of bad diesel out there folks , hearing a lot of horror stories of people getting problems with fuel pumps and injectors . Especially on newer , common-rail diesel machines , aka Ducato 2.8 from 2001- , all 2.2 , 2.3 and 3.0 Ducatos , the CDi Mercedes , the dCI Renault/Nissans , Ford's TDCi , the HDi Citroen/Peugeots and the TDi VWs. No harm to drain the fuel filter a couple of times a year . Every service I do on a diesel engine now , I'm adding a fuel system cleaner . Either Lucas or Wurth , depending on which I have . And I have noticed a difference .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    There's a lot of bad diesel out there folks , hearing a lot of horror stories of people getting problems with fuel pumps and injectors . Especially on newer , common-rail diesel machines , aka Ducato 2.8 from 2001- , all 2.2 , 2.3 and 3.0 Ducatos , the CDi Mercedes , the dCI Renault/Nissans , Ford's TDCi , the HDi Citroen/Peugeots and the TDi VWs. No harm to drain the fuel filter a couple of times a year . Every service I do on a diesel engine now , I'm adding a fuel system cleaner . Either Lucas or Wurth , depending on which I have . And I have noticed a difference .

you can sing that one...

My 2007 transit connect just cost 2k with a new fuel pump and 4 new injectors.. finger is pointed to washed fuel.. but I only buy in major brand garages.. but always look for the cheapest price.

If the price is too cheap at the pump be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

The only diesel that's safe these days is green diesel.
    I reckon the customs lads are too busy these days watching the stations that you'd get away with it.
    I'd be tempted but sure I know I'd get caught.

Do any of ye have Polarity testers? It's one of the first things I check when doing a habitation test , You'd be amazed at the amount of MHs that have the Live (Brown) and Negative (Blue) wires mixed up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

Always presumed that electrics were properly set up in the vans.

Often read about reverse polarity in France but never checked and never had a problem.
    Met an Englishman on a site once who checked everything and told me he had detected reverse polarity, well I had been hooked up at that site for 2 days without any problem. Confused or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Found reverse polarity on a site in France once everything worked ok but it blew my inverter.Cheap chinese one.

Advertisement