Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do you Irish love the chipper.

• 07-04-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

The quality of fish and chip shops in this country is desperate.
    Italians??? serving you up what i can guess as up to three days previously battered food left to get to room temperature before reheating in a fryer when pointed at by you.
    Whats the problem in battering things fresh and selling more of it rather than having part cooked aneamic looking cold batter covered muck inside the little glass cabinet.
    This glass cabinet you see in the shops is not for keeping the chip bags in, it is to keep the FRESHLY battered food hot while you choose.
    Next time you are in your local chipshop ask when the food was battered, ask what temperature the food in the little window is and why it isnt even turned on.
    In fact dont even go.
    Looka outa for the logo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Waddya mean "you Irish"?

On a serious note, I think you're getting the Irish chippers mixed up with the British chippies.

In Britain, pretty much all the food has been cooked earlier and is lying the the glass area and being heated by a bulb of sorts above it. In Ireland, if you ask for a battered sausage, he'll get one that has been battered and not yet cooked, then throw it into the fryer and it's cooked on the spot.

In Britain it's disgusting, everything is stale and overheated. Much better in Ireland imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Doner kebabs are heavenly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Italians??? serving you up what i can guess as up to three days previously battered food left to get to room temperature before reheating in a fryer when pointed at by you.
    Whats the problem in battering things fresh and selling more of it rather than having part cooked aneamic looking cold batter covered muck inside the little glass cabinet.

....it's part of our cultural tradition. And we like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cos she doesn't judge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

There's feck all chippers when you reach Dublin City. Only really Leo Burdocks, which is over priced and not all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Fart wrote: »
    Waddya mean "you Irish"?

Its invariably Irish people i hear talking nostalgically about their wan and wans or their batter burgers.
    They havent lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

Cause of years of oppression and women chained to the kitchen sink.... we are on strike damn it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Convenience to make chips you have to get out the deep fat fryer, peel and chop the potatoes then stink up the house, and then clean up.

For 5 to 6 euro you can get fish n chips and all the work is done.

Its alright to do this once a week (Friday for me) but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

This glass cabinet you see in the shops is not for keeping the chip bags in, it is to keep the FRESHLY battered food hot while you choose.
    Next time you are in your local chipshop ask when the food was battered, ask what temperature the food in the little window is and why it isnt even turned on.
    In fact dont even go.
    Looka outa for the logo.

You're going to the wrong chippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Things Irish people do = Bad

Things other Europeans do = Absolutely brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i dont tend to go to the chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

In fact dont even go.
    Looka outa for the logo.

Sounds to me like you eat in **** holes mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Leo burdocks have the oil barely hot enough to cook the chips. this i think is to save money on burning extra oil and so their staff dont have to work in higher than normal temperatures.
    i know this because when you get the bag of chips open the oil starts to cool and harden instantly on your fingers.disgusting.
    The chip shop near me growing up had a little clock on the front door saying "frying tonight" at whatever time the batter was getting done.
    ITICA chippers would need a calender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Why do you Irish love the chipper.

Because we love having a chip on our shoulder.

Iam going,i am going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Because fresh cut chips cooked to crispy and soft inside without a weird taste is the bee's knee's once in a while, couldn't over do it and have one every week but on a night out or looking for a cheap dinners its filling.

The last time I had a bag of chips was three weeks ago and it was some place in Dun Laoghaire and they were serving frozen chips what!???

Roma on Wexford street is pretty nasty but being really drunk and falling out of Whelans, I understand if someone isn't fond of a chipper, I like the taste but not the greasiness at all but if I do get fast food I do prefer it not to be made from reconstituted processed mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

saa wrote: »
    The last time I had a bag of chips was three weeks ago and it was some place in Dun Laoghaire and they were serving frozen chips what!???

Wasn't in The Ritz then. Mmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't be a huge fan of chipper food but sometimes its the only thing that will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You have lived until you've had fish n'chips in MacDonaghs in Galway

So OP, if you were a Galwegian you would not be asking this question

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Had a doner kebab tray last night, magnificently unhealthy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Wasn't in The Ritz then. Mmmmmmmmm.
    Ah no that's a grand place, this place is towards sandycove end near Marsella's I think, muck.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a huge fan of chipper food but sometimes its the only thing that will do.
    I know what you mean I could of eaten them every day when I was a kid (ha thank god I didn't) gone off them now and have been caught out in town needing food and not able to get a sit down dinner, not enough alternatives, deli's are alright but still if they boiled quorn hotdogs like they do in IKEA in a wholewheat roll I would be a happy camper and they could sell cheap noodles and keep them warm, we need more on the go food options, I hate to say it but chicken rolls and chips are good once in a blue moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I'm heading to one very shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hey man don't diss the Italians.:mad: We as a nation are forever indebted to their chip shop operating immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Worst invention ever has to be the Spice Burger, disgusting tasting things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I'm just back from the chipper,got a chip battered sausage breast of chicken and portion of curry...now op i love to wrap the chicken skin around a chip and dip it in the curry,come back to me when you have tried that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We have a couple of fine chippers here in Cork City (KC's and Lennoxs Bandon Rd).

Tonight, however, I are mostly eating Hillbillys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

You're going to the wrong chippers.

In fairness, the vast majority of chip shops do what the OP describes. They keep pre-battered, half-cooked fish, sausages etc above the fryers. It's becoming harder and harder to find a chipper that has a bucket of batter on the go and will dip fish as you order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

After a gutfull I can barely ask for the fish n chips ffs,I consider it a triumph if i get food!!
    Waddya mean "you Irish"?

On a serious note, I think you're getting the Irish chippers mixed up with the British chippies.

In Britain, pretty much all the food has been cooked earlier and is lying the the glass area and being heated by a bulb of sorts above it. In Ireland, if you ask for a battered sausage, he'll get one that has been battered and not yet cooked, then throw it into the fryer and it's cooked on the spot.

In Britain it's disgusting, everything is stale and overheated. Much better in Ireland imo.

I find the opposite, never had a bad fish & chips in England,atleast they know how to batter a fish and not loose the thing in a cocoon of doughy grease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

How dare you. How fucking dare you.

The chippy is an institution in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

One thing that really annoys me (and the missus) about Chip shops in Ireland is that the chips are never done properly! They are always an anemic white'ish colour. Chippers in Britain always cook their chips for longer, so they are crispier & browner. I just love the crispies in the bottom of the bag. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_12XpBm0IMkQ/TKTzWQMPQzI/AAAAAAAAEfc/d9k8MhH6uuI/s1600/britishchipshop4.jpg

Irish Chip shops listen up "Cook your Chips for longer please".

Advertisement