Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm - Error 61 - Battery

Options
  • 30-11-2010 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi

The above message has recently appeared on my alarm and its advising I call an engineer. Can someone please offer me some advice? Do I really need to call an engineer? I fell out with the company who installed it, so cant ring them :rolleyes:

Thanks a mil
    Fiona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

In most other panels it's relatively easy to change the battery but Astec alarms are difficult as it involves removing the main board and there's the risk of damaging the board through short circuiting and also the risk to you of electrocution.
    I'd advise you to get an engineer out to change it. It shouldn't cost to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Like you, I had the same message as you with "Batt" flashing.

I replaced the battery in my Astec 63DV alarm last night but I was talked through it by "Altor" from this forum and with his help, it was pretty straight forward to do.

First off, turn off the power to the alarm box - you'll know its off as the orange light will go out.

Turn the two plastic screws in the top panel horizontal and take off the top plastic cover. Unscrew the two screws in the bottom plastic cover. There is another screw in the top left of this cover under a label with "Warranty void if removed". Unscrew this screw as well and remove the bottom cover.

You will now see the circuit board. Remove the two plastic fobs on top, one on the right for "battery" and one on the left for "set up" (I think). There are two screws in the circuit board, one in the middle and one to the right. Unscrew these and the circuit board can be moved out of the way to access the battery. Take out the battery and pull off the leads. Put in the new battery and reverse the procedure as above.

You'll need the engineer code to do this which is 4711 (unless its been changed).

Like I said, it was easy enough to do but I was talked through it by a guy who knew what he was doing so perhaps give Altor a call (check Altor.ie) or pm him on Boards. Very helpful and friendly guy.

Like I said, it was easy enough to do but I was talked through it by a guy who knew what he was doing

He should have told you to disconnect one of the battery leads first before unscrewing the PCB as there is still power going through the board and it can easily to be shorted with a screw driver or a loose screw.

There is a track on the right side of the board that sends the battery power to the link, even though the link is removed the power is still present on the board until the battery is physically disconnected. I learned this the hard way when I blew a panel :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

If the battery is dead there wont be any issue with shorting the board by removing the battery link.

Like you, I had the same message as you with "Batt" flashing.

I replaced the battery in my Astec 63DV alarm last night but I was talked through it by "Altor" from this forum and with his help, it was pretty straight forward to do.

First off, turn off the power to the alarm box - you'll know its off as the orange light will go out.

Turn the two plastic screws in the top panel horizontal and take off the top plastic cover. Unscrew the two screws in the bottom plastic cover. There is another screw in the top left of this cover under a label with "Warranty void if removed". Unscrew this screw as well and remove the bottom cover.

You will now see the circuit board. Remove the two plastic fobs on top, one on the right for "battery" and one on the left for "set up" (I think). There are two screws in the circuit board, one in the middle and one to the right. Unscrew these and the circuit board can be moved out of the way to access the battery. Take out the battery and pull off the leads. Put in the new battery and reverse the procedure as above.

You'll need the engineer code to do this which is 4711 (unless its been changed).

Like I said, it was easy enough to do but I was talked through it by a guy who knew what he was doing so perhaps give Altor a call (check Altor.ie) or pm him on Boards. Very helpful and friendly guy.

Hi Dave,

The only reason I got you to remove the link on the on the left side of the board is because we wanted to default the panel to remove the engineer service message you keep getting. This should only be done if you want to default the alarm but please be aware that the whole system needs to be reprogrammed.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    If the battery is dead there wont be any issue with shorting the board by removing the battery link.

It's very rare that a battery being replaced is completely flat and well you know.

It's very rare that a battery being replaced is completely flat and well you know.

I have not had any issues like you have fred but I have seen it being done by not disconnecting the link for the battery and leaving the mains connected to the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My battery was completely flat as knocking off the mains would set the alarm off immediately. There was no "back up" power supply in the battery. Everything is aok now that the battery has been replaced.

Thinking about the design of the Astec system, it seems a little crazy that the battery is hidden away behind the PCB when its the one component that will probably need replacement as some stage and therefore should be more easily accessible, perhaps by moving it to the front and placing it just under the top cover?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The panel not powering up does not mean the battery must be totally flat.There could still be enough voltage to do damage.
    I agree the Astec design was not great regarding battery replacement.

My battery was completely flat as knocking off the mains would set the alarm off immediately. There was no "back up" power supply in the battery. Everything is aok now that the battery has been replaced.

Thinking about the design of the Astec system, it seems a little crazy that the battery is hidden away behind the PCB when its the one component that will probably need replacement as some stage and therefore should be more easily accessible, perhaps by moving it to the front and placing it just under the top cover?

It is a lot harder to get at the battery in the old ASTEC but they have made it a lot easier with there fusion panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 dmack

I have a similar alarm but want to know where to buy the battery?

Can anyone tell me?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have a look at the suppliers list & see whats near you.
    If nothing suits post your location & I'll see where else I can find.:D

dmack wrote: »
    I have a similar alarm but want to know where to buy the battery?

Can anyone tell me?

Most electrical wholesalers will stock the battery you need. It is a 12v 2.2ah battery. The likes of maplin also stock it but it is more expensive to purchase it in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tuttyr

I have just come home to the same issue.

Will this cause the alarm to go off or is it safe enough while connected to the mains until I source a new battery?

If the mains did happen to go off before the battery is changed can I turn the alarm off completely instead of resetting every few minutes as I have had to do during a power cut in the past?

tuttyr wrote: »
    I have just come home to the same issue.

Will this cause the alarm to go off or is it safe enough while connected to the mains until I source a new battery?

If the mains did happen to go off before the battery is changed can I turn the alarm off completely instead of resetting every few minutes as I have had to do during a power cut in the past?

If the mains does go off then the alarm will activate when it comes back on. If you check thew supplier list here will will pick up a battery for the alarm. It is a 12 2.2AMP battery. You could do as you have suggested if the power is going off on on at random times. It is only a matter of removing the fuse or turn off at the mains. Make sure you turn the mains off before doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maximusirl

I turned off the power to the alarm so I could change the battery but when I did the alarm went off.. I presume there is still enough power in the faulty battery to make some noise? is there any way around this?

maximusirl wrote: »
    I turned off the power to the alarm so I could change the battery but when I did the alarm went off.. I presume there is still enough power in the faulty battery to make some noise? is there any way around this?

You need to remove the battery link also. The outside bell will ring when the system is down powered as it is now running off its own battery. It will stop ringing after 20 minutes. Without getting up at the bell there is no way around this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maximusirl

I was afraid you'd say that.. our next door neighbours alsatian is still whining from the last time I set it off :o will removing the front cover also set it off?

maximusirl wrote: »
    I was afraid you'd say that.. our next door neighbours alsatian is still whining from the last time I set it off :o will removing the front cover also set it off?

Yes, once there is no mains or battery back up going to the alarm system the outside bell will ring. There is no way of turning it off without physically removing the outside bell and disconnecting the battery push in button.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 episode1

Before I go changing the battery I'd like to be clear up a few thinks based on the steps on the previous page.

1. I only need to remove the battery fob. No need to remove the "set up" FOB.
    2. Once the FOB is removed the outside alarm will go off as there is now no mains or battery. Once battery and FOB is replaced alarm will stop?
    3. At what point is the engineer code needed? From the steps mentioned I cannot see the need?

Thanks

• Advertisement

episode1 wrote: »
    Before I go changing the battery I'd like to be clear up a few thinks based on the steps on the previous page.

1. I only need to remove the battery fob. No need to remove the "set up" FOB.
    2. Once the FOB is removed the outside alarm will go off as there is now no mains or battery. Once battery and FOB is replaced alarm will stop?
    3. At what point is the engineer code needed? From the steps mentioned I cannot see the need?

Thanks

You just need to remove the battery link, removing the other link then powering up the system will default it back to factory settings if it is not engineer locked. To change the battery there is no need to remove the other link.

Correct, when you have the battery in place and the panel back together put on the battery link, go to keypad and put in your user code to turn off the alarm.

If there was a tamper reset set up on the system then you would need the engineer code. If there is not you wont need it.

altor wrote: »
    You just need to remove the battery link, removing the other link then powering up the system will default it back to factory settings if it is not engineer locked. To change the battery there is no need to remove the other link.

Correct, when you have the battery in place and the panel back together put on the battery link, go to keypad and put in your user code to turn off the alarm.

If there was a tamper reset set up on the system then you would need the engineer code. If there is not you wont need it.

By tamper reset ,dose this mean The alarm will go off and I won't be able to stop it? Or the display will just show an alarm event that cannot be cleared?

Also, Finding it a bit hard to source the correct battery. I can get a "12v 2.3Ah" or a "12v 2Ah". They are both physically the same size as the "12v 2.2Ah".

Is this much of an issue? If I wait a few days I can get the correct one.

/E

Your code will always be able to turn the alarm off.
    Tamper reset, if set on , prevents the alarm from being set after a tamper alarm, until engineer mode is entered and left .
    If the battery is 12vdc rechargeable and the same dimensions then it will be fine.
    Your best option is to bring the old one with you.

Altor/KoolKid thanks for all the info.

No bother , let us know how you get on.

Altor/KoolKid thanks for all the info.

Your welcome, either battery will work for this system.
    If your having any issues getting one you can pick them up in most of the suppliers here.

All done, just a few minutes of the outside alarm going off.

Thanks again

All done, just a few minutes of the outside alarm going off.

Thanks again

Thanks for getting back to us, all easy with the right know how.
    Any other problems, let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Had an issue with my astec yesterday morning. Alarm went off at 10am yesterday morning. I couldn't turn it off. I killed the mains. The battery seems to be gone is both the bell box and the panel. I replaced the battery in the panel. Now I have a 0001 fault and I can't re programme alarm.

It looks like we had a spike in power around that time as another filter I have on the flat screen tv

• Advertisement

Did you remove any of the links on the panel when you were replacing the battery?
    0001 is the factory link at the left hand side 0002 is the battery link on the right.

Advertisement