Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Hopefully have enough to see us through to the new year and shur we'll see then what the price is like maybe..

But I just wanted to ask if other people keep an eye out for particularly long pellets while loading or checking etc.?

I extract samples and have found that all the longest ones are all within a couple of mm of each other, around 60 - 70 mm.

Though I did find one yesterday that was around 75mm :eek:

I know there's a rational explanation but it's kind of creepy nonetheless...

FML :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smwalsh

Hi all

We have used Timberpro pellets made in Kells for the last couple of hopper fills and have found them to have much less dust than Balcas.

We have a recurring problem with our Grekos Woodpecker burner. When the weather gets cold (Sub -4) the burner regularly fails to reignite but will on a manual re-ignition. Have any of you experienced something similar?

Had my installer look at it last year but they failed to solve the prob (the temperatures were back up then)!

I find it really frustrating waking up to a freezing house every morning.

Does anybody know who I can ask to help? We live in Mayo

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

smwalsh wrote: »
    Hi all

We have used Timberpro pellets made in Kells for the last couple of hopper fills and have found them to have much less dust than Balcas.

We have a recurring problem with our Grekos Woodpecker burner. When the weather gets cold (Sub -4) the burner regularly fails to reignite but will on a manual re-ignition. Have any of you experienced something similar?

Had my installer look at it last year but they failed to solve the prob (the temperatures were back up then)!

Regards

Hi, this might be a loooooooong shot but, it only gets really cold overhere when there is virtually no wind. Could it be that your under pressure (think that's what it's called) is a bit on the low side i.e. not enough of a draft generated because of a short flu? Like I said a long shot, but your coil should work no matter what the ambient temperature and as long as there are pellets you would think she would fire up. I would stand/sit beside the machine on a very cold night to see what's happening. Even if it means switching the thing of and let it restart. You should be able to follow all stages of the ignition process and determine failry easily where it starts going pearshape. Coil on? Does it get hot? Is there a flame at any stage? When ignition fails are there pellets in the burner and if so are they blackened/semi burned?
    My brother in law has a long list of problems with his Woodpecker, I'm sure this one is on it somewhere as well...

Hope you can work it out.

Ps.

Do Timberpro deliver in bulk like Balcas?

I also have one of the older woodpeckers (installed circa December '06, dog be with the daze).

I too have had several problems with it, but not the 'not starting when cold' one.

As for Biglads's suggestion, there may be something to that, but there is a fan which creates a draft, so it should take off anyway. But perhaps the coil isn't on just long enough to start the pellets off when they are particularly cold.

This can be adjusted (I think) using the wee dials on the front (fan high, fan low, power, etc.), just not sure which one.

I have spent hours and days sitting there watching it, waiting for it to start or finish.

I've had to replace the ignition coil once since installation and it was very straight forward indeed and allowed me to learn a bit more about it.

The (former) other half has threatened violence on it several times due to problems with it and the heating in general, but we recently sorted out the UFH (part of the manifold was on backwards) and now she reckons she's happy enough with it.

At this stage it would be interesting to know what state the machine is in when it has failed to fire up. Pellets, no pellets, burned unburned etc. The fan will start the flaming process but you still need proper underpressure to keep it all going. The Brother in law would have the non starting issue because of a lack of pellets (auger clogged) and it would blow itself out. He also fitted an additional fan to create draft as his flu was to short and non-insulated. Gerkross offered them a solution by fitting an electronic read out panel, at least now it tells him more or less what's wrong and it takes away some of the guessing.

• Advertisement

Well I know that we always have a breeze up here, so there's a good draw on the flue and it's quite long and insulated, so that end of things on mine is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Hi all

Regards

How much are they charging you for 3 tonne delivery ? What involves the manual ignition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I got a fright in November when Kedco told me that they no longer delivered bulk pellets to Cork. I used dPellet in Kilkenny but think that there is a lot of dust in the delivery in the load. What is the general experience with them. They got me out of a hole (delivery the same day)and would reuse them if the general experience of them is good.

On a tangent I need to service my Kedco boiler this spring. Does anyone know of a reliable person in Cork who would do this, or am I better of doing it myself (relatively handy). If I was doing it myself what do I need to focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greencavanman

I have a 30kw Gerkros Woodpecker boiler and the burner ignition element is gone again. Boiler commissioned in Nov 2007 and this will be the 4th element installed.

I used to get a local guy, former Gerkros employee, to instal the element but he no longer does this.

He referred me to Suirvale. But since they are based in Tipperary, god knows when I will be sorted.

Does anyone know the make of the burner Gerkros used? I'm thinking of buying a supply of elements on the web.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 30kw Gerkros Woodpecker boiler and the burner ignition element is gone again. Boiler commissioned in Nov 2007 and this will be the 4th element installed.

I used to get a local guy, former Gerkros employee, to instal the element but he no longer does this.

He referred me to Suirvale. But since they are based in Tipperary, god knows when I will be sorted.

Does anyone know the make of the burner Gerkros used? I'm thinking of buying a supply of elements on the web.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Get in touch with these bucks.

http://www.woodpeckerenergy.com/contact-us.php

Posted me a replacement element about a year ago, maybe more.

I've had to replace it once since '06.

Really easy to install as well btw.

• Advertisement

Balcas are now gne up to €742.29 for 3 tonnes, wonder has this anything to do with Kedco no longer trading ?? Leinster pellets are €735 for the 3 tonnes.

Anyone got any cheaper source at the minute ?

Where are those of us with Kedco boilers gonna source parts from in the future ? I'm sure SEI will be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

What a joke. I am in process of getting my bulk delivered for the year and i am shocked to hear this. I think it might be better to try and source elsewhere. let me know if you get any deals and ill let you know likewise..

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Is it me or does there seem to be less suppliers around this year? Having a look around and trying to get some prices.

I see Kerry bio fuels are doing some 'new' Tipp pellets this year. Anyone know anything about them?

Got some bagged pellets from Greenheat last year but have been unable to contact them so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tadhgmorris

i totally agree. you must must have a bulk storage. i considered the purchase of an expensive storage solution . but finished up with hiring a carpenter for less than a day. he supplied the materials boards, panels etc and built the storage to my design cost me including materieals 370 euro. will hold 4 tonnes. i have an indoor burner and i simply go to the garage put my collection bucket at the door and pull up the sliding door to release the pellets. simple no augur or sloped door. so i can get the bulk delivery for think it was around 230per tonne about three months ago. but yes nobody should be buying bags that mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Balcas are now gne up to €742.29 for 3 tonnes, wonder has this anything to do with Kedco no longer trading ?? Leinster pellets are €735 for the 3 tonnes.

Anyone got any cheaper source at the minute ?

Where are those of us with Kedco boilers gonna source parts from in the future ? I'm sure SEI will be helpful.

Hi,

I doubt the prices have anything to do with Kedco leaving the market, as far as I know Kedco were never the cheapest.

I understand it has more to do with the cost of transport and raw material, sadly wood pellet will always be tied to the cost of oil as the delivery trucks are using diesel.

Parts for Kedco boilers are still available and will be for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

For parts and service of Kedco boilers you can still contact there ex employees by there mobile numbers or pm me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chris D R

Hello, Can anyone help

I have just purchased a new Gerkoss 25kw Woodpecker boiler to install in a new build.
    HOWEVER I now note it will need a commissioning code for it to work & now find Gerkros no longer exist.
    Anybody know of a engineer in the North of England that could help or anyone know what the code is ?
    I would assume it is a stndard unified code,
    Happy to have a engineer who knows what it is or to do to come along & help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chris D R

EHP wrote: »
    For parts and service of Kedco boilers you can still contact there ex employees by there mobile numbers or pm me for details.

Thanks for that, Is or were kedco Gerkoss boiler agents ? Being new to the site I cann't find hoe to send a PM.
    CHRIS:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smwalsh

Anybody know of a plumber/electrician in the West who can fix my Gerkros burner in a hurry. I am desperate... Any suggestions welcome.

If I cant fix it quick there will be a full hopper of pellets going cheap in the west!

Thanks

smwalsh

Anybody know of a plumber/electrician in the West who can fix my Gerkros burner in a hurry. I am desperate... Any suggestions welcome.

If I cant fix it quick there will be a full hopper of pellets going cheap in the west!

Thanks

smwalsh

What's it (not) doing?

• Advertisement

Chris D R wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Is or were kedco Gerkoss boiler agents ? Being new to the site I cann't find hoe to send a PM.
    CHRIS:confused:

Kedco never dealt with gerkross boilers.

Thanks

smwalsh

Just texted you a number of a guy based in Kildare if he cant get over to you he will probaly know someone who can help you.

Thanks

smwalsh

How did you get on with the number i pm'd you ?

Has anyone any up to date prices on pellets ? Looking for a load again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TopMan

Spares for Gerkros Woodpecker Wood Pellet Boilers are availablefrom Wood Energy Solutions in Tipperary. They stock elements and can give tech support on all the issues with the older models as well. Worth a shout. www.woodenergysolutions.com or 062 74007.

Hey people, have an issue with my boiler this morning and have tried contacting John Reddy who was my service contact but no answer or reply yet. Have a Kedco 24kw boiler which has no display on the "Bio Comfort" box on the wall today. Normally this can be rectified by a reset button inside the boiler but no good today. Anyway experience this issue or have a current contact for servicing these boilers?

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

is the display completely dead, sounds more like a power problem. I have a 30kw Kedco X with same controller, Im not sure where this reset button inside the boiler it you mention, is it the high temp cut out on the stat at the back?

Also anyone know theres a good supply of bagged pellets in Cork. I have bulk storage but need a few bags for the inlaws ;)

is the display completely dead, sounds more like a power problem. I have a 30kw Kedco X with same controller, Im not sure where this reset button inside the boiler it you mention, is it the high temp cut out on the stat at the back?

Got it going again but the grey box that this reset button is on is very loose. Will post a picture of said box later.

Will still need a service call though if anyone has someone reputable and reasonable.

good to hear - here is the link to the instructions for your boiler in case you havent got them. I found it invaluable when mine started acting up.

http://www.kbf.ie/pdfs/nbe_scottemanual_v02.pdf

• Advertisement

good to hear - here is the link to the instructions for your boiler in case you havent got them. I found it invaluable when mine started acting up.

http://www.kbf.ie/pdfs/nbe_scottemanual_v02.pdf

Advertisement