Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking and Camping The Slieve Bloom Way

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Going to hike The Slieve Bloom Way right through during the summer, more or less taking the route mapped here: http://www.irishtrails.ie/Trail/Slieve-Bloom-Way/30/

Anyone here done this before? What's it like for camping spots along the route? How long did it take? Plenty of sites for water etc...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Looks like I'll report back with my own answers in a while so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I'd say you'll find it quiet enough - not near as much used as say Wicklow Way, Dublin Mountains Way or Tain Way. Lots of valleys and forests. Route changed a lot a couple of years ago, so beware of old signs still possibly in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Am hoping to spend a few nights there myself at some stage so will be glad to read how you get on. If you can maybe a few pics where you camped and stuff will be appreciated. :-) good luck and safe trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chrisby

The hike is 84km long and can be accesses at any of the trailheads in the Slieve Blooms-Glenbarrow Car Park near Rosenallis Co Laois, Brittas Woods Clonaslee Co Laosi, Cadamstown Co OFflay, Kinnitty Co Offaly, Glenafelly Fotest Car Park near Kinnitty Co Offaly and Monicknew near Mountrath co Laois. One section from Glendine East to Kinnitty is all on minor road, and I would suggest you walk it in that direction as it will be all downhill. It can be done easily in 3 days. make sure you take some cream with you for the midgets in summer time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 camki

Looks like I'll report back with my own answers in a while so!

Quite a while ago, what did you come up with? I'm planning it myself when out or lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'd like to hear from anyone who's done this in last 3 year too, if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Tough Soles did it last year. I find they have good reports.

https://toughsoles.ie/blog/2019/slieve-bloom-way?rq=slieve%20bloom%20

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DecRyan1976

I used to spend a lot of time around the Blooms but not recently. SO possibly much of the forest has changed since I was last there. Considering going with kids, has anyone updated knowledge of spots which would be near to car suitable for young kids to experience a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

No, 11 years later it's still on the bucket list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement