Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Heres some shots of the Forge cross i took today. Trees are being cleared and im sure the old Forge has not long to live now...Its been a landmark for many years!

Afaik there will be a roundabout constructed here.
    Looking down from the hill up towards the college.
    IMG_2910.jpg

The old Forge..
    IMG_2899.jpg

Crossroads looking from Tralee out the N69.
    IMG_2908.jpg

Tree clearance looking towards Tralee and up towards the college.
    IMG_2903.jpg

The old Forge looking up from behind.
    IMG_2907.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

great pictures

Pictures from this week..

Looking north again from the new culvert in Ballybeggan.
    IMG_3250.jpg

And there seems to be alot of progress on the bridge construction on Knockwaddra.
    IMG_3253.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

its cool how the original road works signs are still up in place even though they are now after where the road is closed :-) looks funny

Yes, it is kinda funny. It appears they are starting to build the pillars for the bridge on the edges of the huge crater in the middle, hopefully the unusual spell of good weather is helping things along.

I see this thread is just about hitting the 20.000 views mark now. That's alot of views!!
    Glad it's proving interesting to many of ye!

• Advertisement

are they starting to put down gravel on the bypass at balleybagen?

Well Carchaeologist we would be lost without you for taking the pictures. You take great pictures.

A bit, but i reckon its only for access roads for machinery. This seems to be the case all along the route. If it rains it would be a swamp!:D
    Well Carchaeologist we would be lost without you for taking the pictures. You take great pictures.
    Thank you, i wasnt sure if anyone was viewing this thread but it appears theres 140 views on here today alone.
    I try to take the pics at the same angle and place very time for comparison afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A bit, but i reckon its only for access roads for machinery. This seems to be the case all along the route. If it rains it would be a swamp!:D

Thank you, i wasnt sure if anyone was viewing this thread but it appears theres 140 views on here today alone.
    I try to take the pics at the same angle and place very time for comparison afterwards.

Well, you got a plug in Infrastructure/Roads yesterday when someone posted that they couldn't understand how an active road scheme like the Tralee bypass hadn't had any posts in that forum in months. Someone else responded to say all the updates are in the Kerry forum so maybe that explains the visits!

Keep up the good work - would it be realistic to say we could have the road open this time next year? - considering so many of the recent projects finished months in advance.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Keep up the good work - would it be realistic to say we could have the road open this time next year? - considering so many of the recent projects finished months in advance.

Part of it hopefully. They are making good headway with it.

• Advertisement

Looking north from the Killarney road.
    IMG_3271.jpg
    You can see the start of the footpath of the roundabout on the middle right.

the Tralee Bypass will open to traffic around the middle of next year.

New roundabout under construction on the Killarney rd looking out from Tralee.
    IMG_3322.jpg

And a shot across the road from the same spot.
    IMG_3323.jpg

This is where the road will meet the existing road between Skehanagh cross and the Lidl junction.
    IMG_3345.jpg

And todays shot of the bridge constuction from the barriers. Not much different, except the toilet has moved to the other side of the bank!:D
    IMG_3351.jpg

I think this is the new rail bridge, view looking south from Ballinorig.
    IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    The old forge was sadly crossed out yesterday...wonder how many years it was standing? Works seem to be moving on here now for the roaundabout construction now, lots of marker poles in the fields adjacent.

Lots of site clearance work going on in the forge cross area this week. Couple of diggers in and more marker poles put in place.

Heres this weeks bridge pic..
    IMG_3441.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

it would be great if someone could collate the weekly bridge pics into an annimated GIF or similar :-)

dmeehan wrote: »
    it would be great if someone could collate the weekly bridge pics into an annimated GIF or similar :-)

That would hopefully be the plan when completed, I reckon it would look pretty cool as the shots are from approx the same place each week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

dmeehan wrote: »
    No, what we really need is weekly updates on the moving toilet:p

This weeks obligatory bridge shot..
    IMG_3514.jpg

And the latest view looking north from ballybeggan..
    IMG_3492.jpg

Forge cross roundabout is moving on nicely.
    IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

Road widening up the hill from the Forge cross..

Looking up the hill
    IMG_3499.jpg

At the top and looking down..
    IMG_3494.jpg

And looking south at the new road that will meet the roundabout(i think) at ballybeggan.
    IMG_3497.jpg

N69 where the roundabout will be looking towards Listowel..
    IMG_3508.jpg
    I think the roundabout will be built in the field on the right of this shot.

And towards Tralee..
    IMG_3507.jpg
    Trees have recently been cut down on the left here as the new road will be built through that field.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Can I ask what the Old Forge used be? Was it a blacksmith?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Can I ask what the Old Forge used be? Was it a blacksmith?

Originally i do believe it was. I'm trying to find out more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

It was an operating forge/blacksmiths up to the early 1960's. It is marked in the old ordinance survey maps in the mid 1800's as "Smithy". There was a public stand pipe (not a pump) painted green just next to it I remember in the getting our water there during the big freeze in the early 60's. I have a vague recollection as the forge being called the yankee forge but Im not certain.

I remember hearing that the area in general was used by members of the Republican Community for storage and distribution of "supplies".

Thanks for that info! I'd love to see a photo of it in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jim05

Any idea of a completion date for the project

Advertisement