Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing Pictures Pollution in China

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

This reminds me of an essay by Isaac Asimov on The Lord of the Rings
    My wife, Janet, and I, on occasion, drive down the New Jersey Turnpike through a section of oil refineries where the tortured geometry of the structures stands against the sky, and where waste gases burn off in eternal flames, and where a stench reaches us that forces us to close the car windows. And as we approached it once, Janet rolled up the windows, sighed, and said, "Here comes Mordor."
    She was right. The Morder of The Lord of the Rings is the industrial world which is slowly developing and taking over the whole planet, consuming it, poisoning it. The Elves represent the preindustrial technology that is passing from the scene. The Dwarves, the Ents, and Tom Bombadil represent the various facets of Nature that are being destroyed. And the Hobbits of the Shire represent the simple, pastoral past of humanity.
    And the One Ring?
    It is the lure of technology; the seduction of things done more easily; of products in greater quantity; of gadgets in tempting variety. It is gunpowder, and the automobile, and television; all the things that people snatch for if they don't have them; all the things that people can't let go once they do have them.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Shocking pictures, particularly the first one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Great pics but hard to look at all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

PaulieC wrote: »
    Great pics but hard to look at all the same

Yup stopped looking after first few

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

Looks like Dublin in the 80s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

jblack wrote: »
    Looks like Dublin now.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They should make the factory owners live in the villages too and drink the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Awful :(

China is so bad for pollution- it actually looks like a heavy fog has descended on the place, all day every day. Except it's dirty and hot. It took 2 weeks before I was able to see a patch of blue sky when I was there, and I'd say I saw blue sky only about 3 times in the 4 weeks I spent in Nanjing, and I never saw the moon or stars at night.

One of the men I was with recalled his first time there about 12 years ago, when he actually thought there was a fire in the hotel he was staying in. The smog was so thick, it rolled into hallways throughout the hotel from an open window.

Advertisement