Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat steering column lock defective

Options
  • 16-03-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

IN THE USA 06 PASSATS WERE RECALLED BECAUSE OF FAULTY STEERING COLUMN LOCK DEFECTIVE ISSUE IN THE UK THEY ALSO RECALLED THE CARS IN IRELAND THEY ARE CALLING IT A GOODWILL DEED HOWEVER THIS IS A MANUFACUTRES PROBLEM AND IT WOULD BE DEEMED FAULTY GOODS IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW OWNS A 06-07 PASSAT PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAD THIS PROBLEM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Towards the left of your keyboard, there is a key labelled Caps Lock. Please press this once, and then never, ever press it again.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well for what it's worth I've a 06 2.0TDI 140 Passat and never had the steering column issue (though I'm aware of it). I've also gotten away with the "dodgy parking brake" issues so far too and even the "injectors fail" issue (with 160k km on the clock)

*touches the reassuring hard wood of the desk* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheLoneRanger

thanks for your wunderful insight and enlightinment of the geography of the keyboardo wisest of ones many thanks your brilliance washes over me like butterscotch and thanks for taking the time to help one not as fortunenite as you and if you have the time i would like any more help only if you have the time as you must be a very busy wizard indeed love and kisses and hugs of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Leave it out please. If you want help with your problem try and make your posts a bit clearer and with some punctuation. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe this fault at one stage required a whole new steering column at €2000 but now only needs a component changed at a fraction of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

thanks for your wunderful insight and enlightinment of the geography of the keyboardo wisest of ones many thanks your brilliance washes over me like butterscotch and thanks for taking the time to help one not as fortunenite as you and if you have the time i would like any more help only if you have the time as you must be a very busy wizard indeed love and kisses and hugs of course

3 posts in and acting like a twat - you will get along just fine around here:rolleyes:

I was just gonna ask you to turn down the volume but someone else put it more eloquently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

if all you have to add is an insult don't bother posting in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xibateew

IN THE USA 06 PASSATS WERE RECALLED BECAUSE OF FAULTY STEERING COLUMN LOCK DEFECTIVE ISSUE IN THE UK THEY ALSO RECALLED THE CARS IN IRELAND THEY ARE CALLING IT A GOODWILL DEED HOWEVER THIS IS A MANUFACUTRES PROBLEM AND IT WOULD BE DEEMED FAULTY GOODS IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW OWNS A 06-07 PASSAT PLEASE REPLY TO THIS THREAD LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAD THIS PROBLEM

ya I had this problem Steering column lock defective...I ended up having to replace the steering rack which cost me 1300e and VW would not pay

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Eireplates

I got this sorted for less than 200 euro on a relatives car through Blackwater Motors in Fermoy. Give Ken a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Had it replaced in wifes 2006 2.0TDI at a cost of €480 Main dealer in Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 markprager

my 2005 passat is in workshop in uk at moment with this problem and is turning into an expensive nightmare, tried talking to vw uk but no luck. i did hear about recall in usa, could you please tell me where you heard about recall in ireland, any help would appricated

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheLoneRanger

Really guys its a design fault and under your statuary rights you have the right to complain as this is not a perfect item far from it if they were recalled all around the globe why not here? they dont think we will complain lol however I would like to clear up this that I dont and have never purchased a vw but I know there is a problem with them and they have gotten away with it here the fighting Irish lol I was onto vw Ireland and suprise suprise the Cilla black announced they had never heard of that particular fault however if you get a diagonistic done with them for 150 euro they will fix your car as a good will gesture hp hip horay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

mickdw wrote: »
    I believe this fault at one stage required a whole new steering column at €2000 but now only needs a component changed at a fraction of the cost.

Yep I think you are right, it costs much less now, they identified the faulty component and replace that instead of the entire unit.
    Really guys its a design fault and under your statuary rights you have the right to complain as this is not a perfect item far from it if they were recalled all around the globe why not here? they dont think we will complain lol however I would like to clear up this that I dont and have never purchased a vw but I know there is a problem with them and they have gotten away with it here the fighting Irish lol I was onto vw Ireland and suprise suprise the Cilla black announced they had never heard of that particular fault however if you get a diagonistic done with them for 150 euro they will fix your car as a good will gesture hp hip horay

Mein eyes, the goggles, they do nothing!

Mr Ranger your posts would be much easier to read with paragraphs and full stops.

Kaiser we have an 06 Passat as well and besides a DMF and a gearbox issue (related to mechanic error) we haven't had any of these "common" problems either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Jesus my Passat works for now.

If I was to listen to everything I read about Passats here I'd have a nervous breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

johnos1984 wrote: »

If I was to listen to everything I read about Passats here I'd have a nervous breakdown.

Yea, they'd have you believe that VWs self combust when you start them around here.

Same for the 320d :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

PaulKK wrote: »
    Yea, they'd have you believe that VWs self combust when you start them around here.

Same for the 320d :D
    • I heard the TDI in them is made from Chocolate but the ones in the Octavia have injectors forged in Russian Vaginas
    • The "breaks" are made of glass bottles and regularly stick to the discs for some unknown reason that God has yet to explain
    • The Turbo is actually a box with the word BROKEN written on it
    • The steering doesn't work for 2 minutes every 30 days or whenever some one says HITLER in a displeasing manner
    • Everything inside is likely to be broken and if not is out to harm young children
    • The handbrake doesn't work as its not a stick which you can pull making the car skid which impresses the ladiez as we all know
    • Anyone who drives them HATES Skodas and clearly has a small penis as they can afford to waste the boot space on legroom for the rear seat
    • All Passat owners are clearly mental as they can afford to waste money buying a nice car a car that isn't a Skoda
    • All Passats from the UK have ONLY done 130k miles, sorry 30k miles
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conordeman

Hi. I have a 2006 Passat with the same symptoms that everyone else mentioned, i.e. steering column lock faulty and car won't start. I contacted VW Ireland and pointed out this appeared to be a well documented issue. They say there is no recall or upgrade in relation to it here.
    Has anyone in Ireland or even Europe had this matter successfully addressed? An email from VW Customer Care stated the following:

"As you are aware each Volkswagen vehicle comes with a two-year Manufacturer Warranty. Correctly, after this period expires there is no right for further coverage. Volkswagen do operate a goodwill policy whereby an authorized retailer can make representation to ourselves to determine if there is any sort of goodwill coverage available. These are considered on a case-by-case basis. I can only recommend that the vehicle is diagnosed by a Volkswagen retailer whereby this goodwill application can be submitted"
    Has anyone actually done this and if so what was the result?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conordeman

and I have been quoted €350 plus vat to fix the problem with free diagnosis IF I get the work carried out by the dealer. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 APRS9

2005 - €280 with VW in Commons Road Navan (last week) - No Issues since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

johnos1984 wrote: »

How's that nervous breakdown John ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 legend1981

APRS9 wrote: »
    2005 - €280 with VW in Commons Road Navan (last week) - No Issues since :)
    Any idea what they actually had to do...did they replace the stearing colum lock or The unit and module with it

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

my 2008 2.0TDI started this problem yesterday, I changed the oil/filter, then drove to the shop got back into the car and steering fault error appeared, I tried starting it but it would not stay running it just switched it'self off like the immobiliser was activated, I tried it a few times and eventually it started ok, there are 88,000KM on it. I was thinking was it something I did during the service??, Any how the same thing happend again this morning I tried the spare fob and it started first thing, Drove to the shop again and after I had the same problem, so it's not the fob. has there been any VW recalls for this problem? I read somewhere that changing the battery solved the problem for someone, did anybody try this.

legend1981 wrote: »
    Any idea what they actually had to do...did they replace the stearing colum lock or The unit and module with it

Replaced the Elec Steering Lock (V3CO90586IJ) that costs 76.75
    Its the labour the brings upo the cost. 60% of cost is labour.

I never had the Issue since November. All grand

strandsman wrote: »
    my 2008 2.0TDI started this problem yesterday, I changed the oil/filter, then drove to the shop got back into the car and steering fault error appeared, I tried starting it but it would not stay running it just switched it'self off like the immobiliser was activated, I tried it a few times and eventually it started ok, there are 88,000KM on it. I was thinking was it something I did during the service??, Any how the same thing happend again this morning I tried the spare fob and it started first thing, Drove to the shop again and after I had the same problem, so it's not the fob. has there been any VW recalls for this problem? I read somewhere that changing the battery solved the problem for someone, did anybody try this.

Looks like your have Steering Column Issue Similar to me. You eventually get car started after 5 minutes of trying and sometimes it starts?
    This was highlighted in a letter written in the Irish Indo but VW never actually admitted an Issue. i read about the cost in the UK to fix was really expensive? As mentioned , VW fixed issue for me for €280.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Had the same problem,

I did the DIY job on my car and a friends car before VW got the newer part for 80e. You can buy and change to the new lock yourself but dont plug the new one in, vw have to recode it for you,, so leave the old one plugged in.

But if your into DIY, have time + WD40 you can repair the old lock.

strandsman wrote: »

Turns out to be a defective relay unit under the steering wheel, got it verified by VW, 280euro fitted, Didnt change it yet as the problem did not occur in the last couple weeks, It seems to be a known problem but VW wont stand over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 clem

I had this problem on Monday (Bank Holiday). I was on my way in to collect the wife and newborn son from the Rotunda. The "steering column lock defective" message came up when I was driving. I took the key out at the lights and tried to restart but it wouldn't. The recovery guy tried the battery but had to take the car away. It's funny, I only just traded my Alfa 156 in for this car last month. I'd get slagged for driving an Alfa, which gave me no trouble, but the passat lasted less than a month.

mine was fine for the last couple months, but it started acting up the other day, Time is near for it to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 abuabid

I had the same problem(steering lock) and costed me €475 (VW dealer,MSL North circular Road)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

markprager wrote: »
    my 2005 passat is in workshop in uk at moment with this problem and is turning into an expensive nightmare, tried talking to vw uk but no luck. i did hear about recall in usa, could you please tell me where you heard about recall in ireland, any help would appricated

cheers

Am I too late to get my 2005 Passat steering lock repaired?

Advertisement