Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The arrows on the plan seem to suggest that there'll be no right turn up that eastbound ramp

Now the world's smallest right turn lane has appeared on the actual road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Nice to see arrows on the road on the roscommon side of the bypass, if they werent there i wouldnt know which direction I should I be driving :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

billbond4 wrote: »
    Nice to see arrows on the road on the roscommon side of the bypass, if they werent there i wouldnt know which direction I should I be driving :eek:

Indeed. Waste of money on the bypass # 45637

• billbond4 wrote: »
    Shure, we'd drive in the shade otherwise! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

You say that as if there aren't people who don't go the wrong way down DC/Motorways!

The new bridge is being assembled at Garrycastle today. From tomorrow afternoon until Sunday, the mainline under J9 will be closed with traffic diverting up and down the ramps.

• Advertisement

Dont think people driving the wrong way on a motorway would notice arrows. :D

Glad I wont be on the bypass at the weekend, with all the messing going on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

They might. It's worth a bit of paint in a county full of elderly drivers ;)

Wild Bill wrote: »

They might. It's worth a bit of paint in a county full of elderly drivers ;)
    I'm not that old :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

The new pedestrian footbridge at Garrycastle is being lifted in today. Circa 45 metres long being placed in one lift, should be a good site if anyone is round with a camera

• Do you know at what time the lift is scheduled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

closure was from 11am this morning till 2 tomorrow afternoon. From my experience, three to four hours would see it out. Crane was to be gettin positioned at 12 and woould take an hour to rig it out. Excusing some hiccup, it will prob be in the closing stages now if not complete. could still be some activity down there now though. If they ahve the closure till 2 tomorrow, they will make the most of it me thinks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I'm not that old :-D

Fkcu you!

I am :cool:

I see they are putting up those SOS telephones on the bypass now, well two on the Roscommon side.
    They are put there for old people who dont have mobiles

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see they are putting up those SOS telephones on the bypass now, well two on the Roscommon side.
    They are put there for old people who dont have mobiles

Really trying to make the ByPass as much of a motorway as possible, without the title / speeds.

Update on the works programme for the resurfacing works at Garrycastle.

While the removal of existing road surfacing is taking place and will be completed this week, it is expected that laying of the new road surface will start on Monday 2nd April and will be complete on Thursday 5th April. Minimum disruption is anticipated as schools are off. It is hoped that the On / Off ramps at Junction 9 will be re-opened on Thursday evening, however, these dates are provisional and largely dependant on weather conditions next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Who would answer these SOS points? Come to think of it who answers the ones between Athlone and Ballinasloe? I know the N6 company answer the ones between J14 and Galway from their building beside the Cappataggle toll booth but what about the rest of the M/N6?

Dunno,When they are up and running, give them a buzz and ask, but its probably the same crew

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

flazio wrote: »
    Who would answer these SOS points? Come to think of it who answers the ones between Athlone and Ballinasloe? I know the N6 company answer the ones between J14 and Galway from their building beside the Cappataggle toll booth but what about the rest of the M/N6?

RSA Call Center afaik. They just have a list of towing companies in the area you break down in when you call.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

flazio wrote: »

All SOS phones in the country (approximately 1300) are dialing into the National Traffic Control Centre (NTCC) at the Dublin Port Tunnel. This is part of centralising all services to the one location. Each SOS has its own Emergency Contact (usually the Gardai) and a contact for a local recovery company which are stored in a database in the NTCC

Well surprise surprise, the on/off Ramps werent opened on Thursday, probably be another week of mickeying around by Wallis Bros

• Advertisement

J9/Garrycastle eventually opened this morning, only 5 days late

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

J9/Garrycastle eventually opened this morning, only 5 days late
    Still closed to get onto the bypass. Useless Willy bstards!

on the dublin side of the J9 ramps, is it still closed?
    The galway side both are open

The slip road at J10 westbound at the Cova shop is closed until this evening, diversions are in place....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Are they not putting in traffic lights at J9?

yeah they will be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Lads working at installing traffic lights at J11 today, poles are all up.

Hope to God they rip up that stupid raised ramp at the Cova while they're putting in the RAB there.

It will be an awful shame when a truck takes out one of the traffic lights, fingers crossed :D

• whyulittle wrote: »
    Lads working at installing traffic lights at J11 today, poles are all up.

I hope that they install intelligent lights, ones that anticipate traffic approaching the lights, rather than ones that make you stop even when there is no other traffic around, or even worse dumb timers!

• Advertisement

Probably radar controlled ones, as they are probably the most expensive ones as they seem to be pissing away the money on the project

Advertisement