Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

solidworks

• 29-02-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    Does anyone know where I can get a copy of solidworks? I suppose educational version would be better value for someone working on it on their own? Also I've recently completed a city and guilds in solidworks and 3d cad. Is there much work out there in these areas at the moment? Whats's the general consensus?
    Did anyone try out some voluntary work for a few months and would they recommend it?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Solid Solutions are the Solidworks distributor in Ireland so you could get an educational version off them. I'm not sure what are the requirements needed to get one though.

As for work out there in this area at the moment I'm not sure. You could look on irishjobs.ie and gradireland and see what's advertised on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks Cat.
    I will try that.
    Many thanks Espoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I have two old copies if you want them.
    IMG_0739.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is the student edition not locked so that it can be only used on one computer?

In the contract for buying the current edition the below is listed in the terms and conditions:

"I understand that the Software contains (i) a soft-lock that permits it to be loaded on only one computer"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

i dont have a clue what he license situtation is. only trying to offer him an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Thewanderer_ie

Espoo wrote: »
    Hi Folks
    Is there much work out there in these areas at the moment? Whats's the general consensus?

Short answer is NO, there ain't much work out there... I spent 9 years as an employee, and now going on into my third year self-employed mechanical design engineer (Shameless plug: www.jne.ie). It is a struggle to keep a steady bit of work coming in. You may have more luck as a newbie, since you are cheaper and may be able to commit to a steady job, but it is tough right now, everybody is buckling down. With so many people out there unemployed, those with more experience are taking the pay cuts and entry level jobs, so edging out the young guys.
    Same with every industry, but notably the design/manufacturing end of things, as Ireland is expensive and a lot of the industry is shipping out. Good Luck Anyway :)

Impressive website The Wanderer if I could comment it would be to add in a few more projects/examples if you had them and/or add in a photo/render of the end product as well as the CAD model.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Thewanderer_ie

@CatfromHue: Thank you for the comments. Always good to hear from a non-involved person (family all think it is great, customers won't say anything... :) ). I do in fact have many more examples to post, but lately have been finding more urgent uses for the cash to update the site. It's on the list.
    Generally, photos of the finished product are hard to get, as much of my work is covered by NDA's, or my part is finished when I hand over the design. Also hard to get a photo that shows enough detail. I don't do the photo renders, have not found a use for them, but will keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Generally, photos of the finished product are hard to get, as much of my work is covered by NDA's, or my part is finished when I hand over the design. Also hard to get a photo that shows enough detail. I don't do the photo renders, have not found a use for them, but will keep it in mind.

A (relatively) low-res photo of the finished product might be acceptable to the client, or give them approval on the image used to satisfy the NDA. You only need enough detail to show how your design was realised. Always nice to see a picture of the real thing alongside a model view.

Congratulations on the site, the SolidWorks images are eye-catching and make a good selling point.

Sorry lads. Lost touch with the thread there. Thought there were no more contributions. New on boards so finding my way around. Wanderer good on ya with the self employment and website. Best of luck. Thanks All

Espoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 sea76

Your story very similar to my own Espoo. (new here also) just finished C&G course and my licence expired. quote for new version was E6000, Don't know what to do would like to keep up to date with it as i put a lot into the course.

ProE, a competitor of Soldiworks in 3D CAD, have a free downloadable version of their 3D CAD program.

If you want to keep practicing 3D CAD but can't afford a full licence it could be an option for you.

http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sea76

Thanks CatFromHue
    Will certainly have a look at that:)

I'd be interested to see how you get on with it.

I would have used mainly Solidworks but have been meaning for awhile to give that free ProE package a go and see what it's like. Work and college have stopped limited my time though!

sea76 wrote: »
    Thanks CatFromHue
    Will certainly have a look at that:)

Hi sea
    Just noticed your contribution to the forum there. Did you download Pro E
    as Cat was recommending? Does Pro E work in a similar way to solidworks like Autodesk inventor would? I might have a look at that download myself.

Cheers
    Espoo

Advertisement