Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    IMO best movies ever made (in my time) were the action and comedy movies from the 90's, like True Lies and especially Speed 1/2 and the ones you mentioned :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3Kyv_iaNs one of the best comedys from the 90's I know of has got to be Happy Gilmore :D Been going retro with 90's movies lately,

You said it buddy! 80's and 90's action movies, comedies, scifi, adventure, drama, hell, everything was better, much better.

Nowadays, everything is a "thriller", everything has to have some needlessly sneaky, complicated yet completely predictable and dumb plot to it, and if it's an action movie, it' just dumb.

80's and 90's action movies were so awesome, they had a good mix of everything, top action, talent, badass, believable actors with charisma, direction, humour, everything was in perfect mix.

Watched Demolition Man the other day, fantastic movie!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

CyberGhost wrote: »
    You said it buddy! 80's and 90's action movies, comedies, scifi, adventure, drama, hell, everything was better, much better.

Nowadays, everything is a "thriller", everything has to have some needlessly sneaky, complicated yet completely predictable and dumb plot to it, and if it's an action movie, it' just dumb.

80's and 90's action movies were so awesome, they had a good mix of everything, top action, talent, badass, believable actors with charisma, direction, humour, everything was in perfect mix.

All i can say is, watch Fast Five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

True all of that! Also the disaster movies of the 90's always kept me occupied as a kid, and still do! Namely: Twister - 1996?/97?, Volcano - 1997, Armageddon - 1998, Deep Impact - 1998, especially Independence Day - 1996. All excellent movies.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I watched Kubrick's Lolita yesterday, having finished the book earlier in the week.

I was underwhelmed tbh, while the book had an element of dark humour, the movie was almost more of a comedy. I was expecting something a little more sinister. Although if the movie was made more along the lines as the book was written then it probably never would have been released. I think Kubrick said himself that if he knew how much he would have to cut out of the movie then he never would have made it in the first place.

I also caught bit and pieces of the Transformers ROTF, easily one of the worst movies in existence. I don't know the reasons for Megan Fox not being in the latest sequel but there's the old romantic in me that hopes she saw that she was nothing but a show pony in ROTF and decided not to appear in DotM out of self respect. Michael Bay may as well have just used life sized cardboard cut outs of her in provocative positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Demolition Man has to be one of the most quotable films ever, its a classic. In fact off I go to dig out the dvd :D. What seems to be your boggle :).

Mickeroo wrote: »

Point taken just finished watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I watched Kubrick's Lolita yesterday, having finished the book earlier in the week.

I was underwhelmed tbh, while the book had an element of dark humour, the movie was almost more of a comedy. I was expecting something a little more sinister. Although if the movie was made more along the lines as the book was written then it probably never would have been released. I think Kubrick said himself that if he knew how much he would have to cut out of the movie then he never would have made it in the first place.

Kubrick's film has the dark humour, it just doesn't have the erotic element. In contrast, Lyne's film has the erotic but lacks the satire. There's probably still another film to be made from that book, but Kubrick's film is pretty damn good given the strict censorship code of the time. It's very subversive in its own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Demolition Man has to be one of the most quotable films ever, its a classic. In fact off I go to dig out the dvd :D. What seems to be your boggle :).

I ****ing LOVE Demolition Man, its just a fun action movie the kind they dont make anymore. "John Spartan you have been fined one credit for violating..."

Wesley Snipes is brilliant in it, its got some cracking action scenes and its really funny. action movies were way better in the 80's and 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yea, that was pretty generic but I still enjoyed it, mainly because of Vin Diesel. That guy is cool!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Point taken just finished watching it.
    Yea, that was pretty generic but I still enjoyed it, mainly because of Vin Diesel. That guy is cool!

I'm not a fan of the series as a whole(first one was ok though) but I thought the fifth one was great, as modern action movies go I thought it was a step above. Just out and out crazy action scenes and plenty of real stunts, plus they even managed to fit a half decent heist plotline in there. Agree with you guys that you can't beat the 80's and 90's, surely the golden age of action cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

THOR

Marvel strikes out yet again with another turd.

I thought this one really stank more than usual;
    a horrible combination of FLASH GORDON set pieces
    with IRON MAN fanboy appease.

Truely terrible.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beyond Re-animator (2003) - you can't keep a good mad doctor down. And Herbert West (the peerless Jeffrey Combes) is back this time in jail still working away on his dream of bring the dead back to life this time with added features.

Filmed in Spain without Stuart Gordon at the helm but with his partner Brian Yuzna so the traditions of the series are maintained complete with some vivid gore effects from Screaming Mad George. The last 20 minutes or so is a total riot of blood letting and flying lumps of flesh.

mike65 wrote: »
    Beyond Re-animator (2003) - you can't keep a good mad doctor down. And Herbert West (the peerless Jeffrey Combes) is back this time in jail still working away on his dream of bring the dead back to life with time with added features.

Filmed in Spain without Stuart Gordon at the helm but with his partner Brian Yuzna so the traditions of the series are maintained complete with some vivid gore effects from Screaming Mad George. The last 20 minutes or so is a total riot of blood letting and flying lumps of flesh.

what was the name of the bird - crampton? -who GOT HEAD in the original?

:D

Barbara Crampton :) Funnily enough that scene was missing when I saw it many moons ago on VHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

THOR

Truely terrible.

thought it was one of the best blockbusters of last year myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Terminal Velocity

Just happened upon this list recently: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1257002/52_films_unfairly_rated_lower_than_6_stars_on_the_imdb.html.

And, guess what, this film was on the following night.

Leave your brain at the door, and just watch Charlie Sheen being... well, Charlie Sheen.

A stylish piss-take of an action movie, with a witty script, and featuring an absolutely stunning and OTT pre-CGI aerial stunt sequence.

Sample dialogue:

Pilot: Are you insane?!

Sheen: Yes. Yes I am.

Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I saw Another Earth during the week, it kind of bored me, I was really looking forward to seeing it as well, there was something about the lead actress that grated me also.

After that I watched The Hunter, with Willem Dafoe, I really liked it, quite sad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

THOR

Truely terrible.

I think it's the weakest of the 'build up for Avengers' films, i'll watch it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Old Boy - watched this last night on Netflix. Fantastic movie, really engaging and beautifully shot (with one scene in particular I found to be absolutely brilliant, probably one of the best fight scenes in a movie).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Muppets - I'm surprised that this was actually very very good. Some of the gags were genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Watched the 1970 film "Cromwell" -excellent battle scenes and strong performances by Richard Harris (as Crowmell) and Alec Guiness (the king). No mention of Cromwell going anywhere near Ireland and toned down his puritanism so a bit of a whitewash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Machine Gun Preacher

This got some awful reviews but I don't care, I liked it a lot. Well worth watching

Game Change
    HBO Film about Sarah Palin and John McCain, super acting from Woody Harrelson and Julianne Moore.
    I like Ed Norris but I didn't like him in this

It's not a hachet job, you can laugh and shake your head at Palin at times but you could also finish having a bit of sympathy for her. Or maybe that's just me

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Inception:

Fantastic film and finally got around to watching it this afternoon. Loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

The Royal Tenenbaums
    A weirdly class film, loved the narration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Bajingo wrote: »
    I think it's the weakest of the 'build up for Avengers' films, i'll watch it again though.

I thought it was beter than captain america

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

That_Guy wrote: »
    Inception:

Fantastic film and finally got around to watching it this afternoon. Loved every minute of it.

Did the top fall

mike65 wrote: »
    Barbara Crampton :) Funnily enough that scene was missing when I saw it many moons ago on VHS.

Yeah, damn BBFC back then.

I think old head honcho Jimmy Ferman would turn in his
    grave if he knew what they're passing now uncut.

:D

Speaking of which I just watched Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship and Videotape on the Horror channel. Having lived through that era mainly through the pages of Starburst its quite strange to see all the old shock, horror stories recounted as the tabloids and ignoramus politicians go mad and police arrest video shop owners, one of whom actually got sentenced to 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I thought Machine Gun Preacher was a good film. I wasn't even going to bother but i was pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

All the Kings Men

I know there is an older version, I watched the recent one

Spent a lot of it struggling with Sean Penn's deep south accent, he laid it on thick and it was hard to follow

Ok film, with the cast and the famous book I was expecting more
    I'm going to check out the other version

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Fly (Cronenbergian version): I'll never look at fingernails the same way again! A silly, absurd story (knowingly melodramatic throughout) but one where the sheer intensity of what comes makes it an enjoyable and occasionally squeamish film. It's thoroughly entertaining, if lacking in the grand themes and subversions of the best films from the director (Videodrome, namely).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement