Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

You'd best watch more films if that's the case.

I know , believe me I know.. I'm never in the loop but screw it I eventually get around to watching them :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hard Boiled - hearing Gareth Evans wax lyrical about this at the Raid screening gave me the push I needed to finally watch this. And you can see where Evans got his inspiration. A ludicrous, stylishly directed slice of brilliant nonsense. Bar a couple of superb action scenes, I was surprised at how long it took to get the story in gear. But once Chow-Yun Fat and Tony 'Chef Salad' Leung meet up, the film picks up some serious gears and their fun interactions are a welcome counterpoint to the OTT action. The final, hyper-extended action scene in a hospital is inspired though. Fully aware of its own insanity, tongue-is-firmly in cheek and the efforts to rescue a ****load of babies from a maternity ward are endlessly entertaining. Michael Bay could learn a thing or two about excessive explosions from Mr. Woo (playing himself here too!).

A rollicking good time, in pretty HD on Netflix too! Fans of this will adore The Raid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hard Boiled - hearing Gareth Evans wax lyrical about this at the Raid screening gave me the push I needed to finally watch this. And you can see where Evans got his inspiration. A ludicrous, stylishly directed slice of brilliant nonsense. Bar a couple of superb action scenes, I was surprised at how long it took to get the story in gear. But once Chow-Yun Fat and Tony 'Chef Salad' Leung meet up, the film picks up some serious gears and their fun interactions are a welcome counterpoint to the OTT action. The final, hyper-extended action scene in a hospital is inspired though. Fully aware of its own insanity, tongue-is-firmly in cheek and the efforts to rescue a ****load of babies from a maternity ward are endlessly entertaining. Michael Bay could learn a thing or two about excessive explosions from Mr. Woo (playing himself here too!).

A rollicking good time, in pretty HD on Netflix too! Fans of this will adore The Raid.

I can't believe you've only watched that for the first time now! It's a classic! Give The Killer a look too, its not as over the top or anything but its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

sporina wrote: »
    50/50 - watched it last night - my god - had such potential and i liked the main actor but jesus, the psychologist character??? what was the script writer thinking of????? terrible!!
    Thought she was brilliant in it - she bounced off the character Adam unbelievably well imo and some of their sessions saw him reveal how he was properly coping with the illness - rather than just joking around with Seth Rogen all the time.

Don't think the movie would've been the same without her tbh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hard Boiled is great fun, but I do think some of stuff at the end with the babies is a bit too ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I watched 2001 : a space odyssey recently. Very strange film, really enjoyed it. I'll have to watch it again sometime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hard Boiled is great fun, but I do think some of stuff at the end with the babies is a bit too ridiculous.

I loved that stuff, so hilariously silly. The 'trousers on fire' bit was a very funny punchline ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I watched "Michael".

Absolutley creepy. Couldn't help spend the entire next day running the fact that this could be happing in any house I walk past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Brendog wrote: »
    I watched "Michael".

Absolutley creepy. Couldn't help spend the entire next day running the fact that this could be happing in any house I walk past.

John Travolta creeps me out too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Driver v Drive
    Renn wrote: »
    Not a complete remake at all. Has elements of a few different films but entirely stands on it's own. Influences include Melville, Hill, Friedkin and Mann imo.

Sorry Renn but have to get back to you on
    this.

The similarities are just too great in my humble opinion.

OK which film am I talking about here?

Film starts of with a shot of driver waiting outside a place that has just been robbed. Checks his watch. Baddies get in and a staggered chase through city ensues.

The driver is a quiet, smouldering, very cool character, that lets his gait and demeanour do all the talking. He's the kind of guy that looks like he's a real push over but you'ld be so wrong. He has no qualms about who he tells is the real boss when he's hired. If they're over time on a job; that's it then he just drives away. Simple.

He's a real loner but has a penchant for one particular girl who may or may not be his downfall. He lives alone in a cheapish apartment with very minamilist surroundings and little personal possessions.

He's played by the latest Hollywood blond/sandy haired heartthrob and his entire word count for the movie is 350 words.

He gets involved in a job he really probably shouldn't and goes against his instinct in taking the job.

It turns out bad. People are killed by his hands and by his decision to take the job.

It doesn't matter. In the end, that's who he is. He doesn't get the money in the end.

He turns and rides off into the sunset to start another life in another place.

Fin

Granted plotwise it's a lot different but it's more a vehicle to carry the character of the driver.

In the same way that Safehouse is completely different to The 3 Days of the Condor but essentially it's a remake; just "3 days" is much better and tighter written movie than Safehouse.

That's just what I think anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Captain Kronos vampire hunter - Hammer horror from the early 1970s. All right but no classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

An American Werewolf in London

For the first time. Enjoyed it over all. The Transition scenes are amazing.

Pressure - British film from the 1970s about a young English lad who can't get a decent job because he's black and has trouble with the family because he's not black enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Keno 92 wrote: »
    An American Werewolf in London

For the first time. Enjoyed it over all. The Transition scenes are amazing.

still inifinitely better than the cgi tranformations in any modern werewolf movie. check out The Howling as well, it came out around the same time as AAWIL and Rob Bottin's work on it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Watched Oldboy the other night. Wasn't sure what to make of it after an hour or so but the last half hour is fantastic. Very good film overall.
    Loved how Lee's finger cocked in the flashback when he commits suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

The station agent.
    I thought it was really good.i wasnt expecting much but I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Sherlock Holmes - the one with Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law.

better than I thought. a bit of fun. not as good as the BBC series though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

The Olde Dear gave me a few gems
    over last weekend.

CARRY ON DOCTOR, CARRY ON BEHIND, CARRY
    ON ABROAD...

Totally humourous.

I love the series.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Olde Dear gave me a few gems
    over last weekend.

CARRY ON DOCTOR, CARRY ON BEHIND, CARRY
    ON ABROAD...

Totally humourous.

I love the series.

:)

liked em when I was a kid, but now they belong in the "horribly aged British slap and tickle humour" bin along with Benny Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jennina

We're moving again and I can't watch tv at the moment, but I still got my DVDs! So lately I watched some of my favorites again:

DOA, all the Harry Potter movies, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and Alice in Wonderland... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I can't wait for JACK CARTER ON MARS

It's gonna be THE BIG MOVIE I think
    which RTE can ONLY HOPE TO SCREEN.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I can't wait for JACK CARTER ON MARS

It's gonna be THE BIG MOVIE I think
    which RTE can ONLY HOPE TO SCREEN.

:cool:

You Wha'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Grey

Loved it, thought it was realy good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Nightfighters" (1960) at long last I tracked down a copy of this rare movie - it only ever made it to VHS and never appears for sale these days. The movie is set in Ireland in 1941 with the IRA coming back to life in anticipation of a Nazi invasion of England. With a star studded cast including Robert Mitchum, Richard Harris, Cyril Cusack, Dan O'Herlihy etc., etc. it's a pleasing enough way to spend 90 minutes. Robert Mitchum does his duty for the cause before his conscience gets the better of him. What it lacks in special effects is made up for by quality acting and attention to detail. Filmed at Ardmore Studios and in County Wicklow.

699sale_126_102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Hamlet (2000): Ethan Hawke as Hamlet, Kyle MacLachlan as Claudius, Diane Venora as Gertrude, Julia Stiles as Ophelia, Liev Schreiber as Laertes, Bill Murray as Polonius, and Sam Shepard as the ghost of Hamlet's father. Ambitious, abridged version set in modern day New York, where Denmark is a corporation and their castle is a luxury hotel.

Mostly positive, it did a very good job of telling the central story in a clear manner. It served to highlight a couple of things I hadn't quite copped on to in the past, such as the difficult position Ophelia was put in. The Branagh Hamlet (1996) left me with the impression that her downfall was all Hamlet's fault, but this version shows the influence of her protective brother (Laertes) and father (Polonius) in causing her hang-ups about Hamlet. Laertes gets just a bit too close to her for her (and the audience's) comfort at one point, coming across as a little creepy and incestuous. Any wonder she's screwed up?

However, this is where Bill Murray lets the film down a bit. There's a scene in which he confronts Gertrude (Hamlet's mother) and Claudius (Hamlet's uncle, Gertrude's new husband) about Hamlet's craziness, and tells them to tell Hamlet to stay away. Polonius should be angry, emotional, highly concerned about his daughter - but Murray doesn't have the "method" range to look more than slightly annoyed. Polonius' death is also, shall we say, underwhelming.

Not all the modern-day updating makes perfect sense e.g. in the play, Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern take Hamlet to England, carrying orders to "England" that Hamlet is to be killed. Hamlet changes the orders to have them killed ... by editing a text file on a laptop. Just who are these people in England, that Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are executed on that basis? If it was Mob connections, that aspect could have been explored further.

But this is a modern Hamlet, one who ponders life and death while wandering through a New York video store at 4am, wearing a silly woollen hat, with a gun in his pocket. Had the film been made a few years later, he would be keeping a blog, the dust from the World Trade Center would be everywhere, Claudius would watch Hamlet's accusatory video montage on YouTube, instead of in an art house cinema.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

"Nightfighters" (1960) at long last I tracked down a copy of this rare movie - it only ever made it to VHS and never appears for sale these days. The movie is set in Ireland in 1941 with the IRA coming back to life in anticipation of a Nazi invasion of England. With a star studded cast including Robert Mitchum, Richard Harris, Cyril Cusack, Dan O'Herlihy etc., etc. it's a pleasing enough way to spend 90 minutes. Robert Mitchum does his duty for the cause before his conscience gets the better of him. What it lacks in special effects is made up for by quality acting and attention to detail. Filmed at Ardmore Studios and in County Wicklow.

699sale_126_102.jpg

You mind me asking where you got it? Sounds like a film I would like :)

Rancho Notorious - excellent Western about a man who tracks the killers of his girl and joins Marlene Dietrich's posse to track him down. Lots of good songs too. The best Westerns were made back in the 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Watched Time Travellers Wife hoping for a nice bit of romantic fluff (on the suggestion of a friend).
    While I will say it kept me watching and interested in what was going on, I found it a bit weak and forgetable. Not the epic romance I was in the mood for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Birneybau wrote: »
    You Wha'?

I think hes talking about this film

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bang Bang Club

Follows a group of four photographers during a troubled time in South Africa. Some vicious acts from both sides, very nasty
    There was a short part in Sudan too

Was good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement