Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Allosauroidea thread (allosaurs, carcharodontosaurs and kin)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Epanterias is no longer a valid genus. The specimen has been reassigned to Allosaurus amplexus. Another species of Allosaurus approaching 40feet in lenght was A. maximus (formerly Saurophaganax maximus)
    It's worth remembering that Allosaurus was fairly light weight for a large theropod. A 40 foot Allosaurus would weigh about half the weight of a 40 foot Tyrannosaurus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah, which made them ideal for sprinting after some tasty dinos ;)

The tooth is 9.83cm long, about half the size of T.rex's largest teeth. Precious little else is known about this dinosaur.
    The palaeontologists have concluded that this is the largest tooth of a carnivorous dinosaur to have been found to date in Spain.

The features and size of the 9.83 cm tooth provide key information needed to identify its former owner. The researchers are in no doubt - it was a large, predatory, carnivorous dinosaur (theropod) belonging to the Allosauroidea clade, a group that contains large carnivorous dinosaurs measuring between six and 15 metres

Full article here.

allosauroidea_tooth_300_196.jpg

Since the new spinosaur has gotten everybody in the mood for some giant carnivore discussion, I thought you might enjoy this piece by Dinosaur Tracking Blog which chronicles the family history of another high spined theropod, Acrocanthosaurus atokensis. Surprisingly, it's not closely related to the spinosaurs at all, but their 'rivals' the carcharodontosaurs (who also feature prominently in the aforementioned thread).

dino-acrocanthosaurus.jpg&sa=X&ei=aEeJTeKcOM25hAe064THDQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGDhu2vBzPKDT4zMUR673Fzuugdjw
    Image by L.D. Austin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

In that drawing it looks a lot like a T.Rex with a bad back condition. How would it compare size wise?

The bigest one found was 38 feet (about 11 and a half metres) with a skull over four feet in lenght and an overall similar build to the giant carcharodontosaurs, but not quite as massive in build. It was roughly the same size as a T. rex, although the largest Tyrannosaurus specimens were marginally bigger.

But it has a friendly smile:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    But it has a friendly smile:pac:

The same friendly smile you see in crocodiles today... ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

• Advertisement

Another article on the same find. The journalists are calling Acrocanthosaurus "T-Rex cousin". o-O

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/dinosaur-tracks-found-arkansas-cover-football-fields-made/story?id=14690741

The bastardization of every theropod as a 'T. rex cousin' continues....

:(

Galvasean wrote: »
    The bastardization of every theropod as a 'T. rex cousin' continues....

:(

T-Rex must be tired of so many sudden relatives...

It's like when you win the lotto... (I'm told)

It's like when you win the lotto... (I'm told)

Indeed...

It's two separate discoveries; one of them is a juvenile Acrocanthosaurus found in the Cloverly Formation. The study says that Acrocanthosaurus grew at rates similar to Allosaurus and tyrannosaurs, but also that it seemingly reached adulthood in 20 or 30 years (Tyrannosaurus rex at least grew faster then, as it is said that it reached adulthood at around age 18... or that's the last thing I read).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031018212001435?v=s5

There's also a baby Brachiosaurus measuring only 2 meters long, found in the Morrison formation:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-4983.2012.01139.x/abstract

Both are extremely interesting as we know very little about baby dinosaurs- we tend to imagine them as miniatures of their parents yet we know at this point that it wasn´t the case. I only wish they publish reconstructions of the creatures at one point...
    Acrocanthosaurus-249x352.jpg

New theropod teeth from the latest Cretaceous (Maastritchian) of Brazil have been found and analyzed. Some of them seem to belong to abelisaurs, but the most interesting ones seem to be from carcharodontosaurs, which were supossed to have went extinct long before the late Cretaceous.
    Of course, being just teeth, we can´t be sure- they may belong to some other kind of theropod that developed similar diet habits/teeth, or even to crocodilians. When the blade-like, serrated teeth sebecids were found for the first time, scientists believed non-avian theropods had made it to the Eocene in South America, because the teeth were so similar.

EDIT: A later study found that these teeth may belong to abelisaurids after all. :/

I have to admit it's an exciting idea, tho- to have T. rex and carcharodontosaurs walking the Earth at the same time, albeit in different places.

http://ojs.c3sl.ufpr.br/ojs2/index.php/rbg/article/view/21309
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0AVv6iS_RsDWWkIoiw5ELXIxC2ZObWST181MqC9wFVsGQ7l0U

I guess we may soon be throwing out the conventional logic that carcharodontosaurs were outcompeted by smaller, 'more advanced' theropods. Perhaps another cases of 'lack of evidence =/= evidence of absence'.

I guess we may soon be throwing out the conventional logic that carcharodontosaurs were outcompeted by smaller, 'more advanced' theropods. Perhaps another cases of 'lack of evidence =/= evidence of absence'.

I think it makes sense that if carcharodontosaurs were specialized sauropod-hunters, and sauropods made it to the very end, there is no reason to suposse that carcharodontosaurus wouldn´t make it along with them. Perhaps they simply became rarer/less diverse, but then, same happened with tyrannosaurs in North America it seems.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to that idea. That recent study showed that sauropods were at their most diverse during the Maastrichtian (even more so than in the late Jurassic). I honestly think we'll find more and more Maastrichtian diversity. we just need to dig more!

• Advertisement

It seems there's also a maxilla of the late Cretaceous Brazilian carcharodontosaur, not only teeth. It was quite a bit smaller than its earlier relatives; its skull was only 80 cms long.

So, considering the time ecological difference and smaller size we can assume this is a different genus to Carcharodontosaurus - any sign of a name yet?

Not yet, to my knowledge.

Unfortunately, the article calls Allosaurus "T-Rex's Smaller Cousin" despite the fact that T-Rex is more closely related to penguins or hummingbirds than to Allosaurus.
    It misguided me into believing it was about Albertosaurus... :(

http://news.yahoo.com/t-rexs-smaller-cousin-ate-falcon-study-finds-183243842.html

56694_web.jpg

This culture of calling everything a cousin of T. rex is getting a little bit grating...

But hey at least they follow up with:
    "Many people think of Allosaurus as a smaller and earlier version of T. rex, but our engineering analyses show that they were very different predators.""

It is bloody annoying this "everything is related to T-rex" attitude. I think we are predators too so we must be related to T-Rex as well. "ROARRRRRRRRRR" :D

Rubecula wrote: »
    It is bloody annoying this "everything is related to T-rex" attitude. I think we are predators too so we must be related to T-Rex as well. "ROARRRRRRRRRR" :D

Guess we are if we consider we are all descended from a same common ancestor... but then why not start calling potatoes T-Rex relatives while we're at it?

PS- Regarding the "Many people think of Allosaurus as a smaller and earlier version of T. rex, but our engineering analyses show that they were very different predators.""part, I figured that out at age 3 and I didn´t need engineering analyses... or a phD :pac:

I just counted the fingers. If it has three it was an allosaur. If it had two it was a tyrannosaur. Bear in mind back then the quality of theropod illustrations was at times dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ties in nicely with my theory of how sparrowhawks are great to watch if one wants to form ideas about theropods. Much better example than a falcon as Sparrowhawks will hunt on foot as well as on the wing making them a much more rounded ambush predator :D

Some on here may remember me rambling on about it a year or so ago. :)

Sparrowhawk: The T-rex Allosaurus of back gardens. :P

• Advertisement

Nothing beats Harris hawks or the Johnny Rook when it comes to pack hunting dinos, tho :D

Then the crested caracara and the secretary bird hunt on land much more often than sparrowhawks.

Advertisement