Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cinema in Lucan

Options
  • 10-03-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else remember it? It stood on the site that the Ulster Bank is on now, beside the weir brige. :)

I went there a few times as a kid and saw the Return of the Jedi with my brother and my Dad. Another time I saw The Aristocats with the Summer Project and I also remember going to see Back to the Future there too. Great times, I didn't get to the cinema often and we used to sneak our own sweets in but I really enjoyed it, even if it was freezing cold in there at times.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the name of the cinema? I only ever knew it as the cinema.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

I do indeed. It was painted yellow right? Can't remember its name but the first film I saw there was "The Cat from Outer Space". Youtube link

I believe it was known as 'The Premiere'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, that sounds familiar madds, yup, the yellow paint stood out alright. I remember over the years if just got more and more decrepit. There were seats with huge holes in them where someone had ripped out the stuffing, holes in the ceiling.

I never sat in the area directly below the balcony because I knew boys who would be up in the balcony and always spat over the side onto the people below :rolleyes:

I do recall finding the film reel for Return of the Jedi in the bin at the back of the cinema as a kid, Unfortunately, the film canister had been opened nd the film reel cut into pieces. Someone should have kept those, they would be worth a fortune today :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

74669.jpg
    Sorry about the blurring on the right.
    From "A to Z of Old Dublin Cinemas".

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

God that photo brings back memories. The first time I was in that cinema was 1982 when as a treat for starting primary school my friends mum took us to see ET. I also remember how it was always freezing in the place.

Its funny how you forget the way Lucan used to be and what was there before and is now gone.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    74669.jpg
    Sorry about the blurring on the right.
    From "A to Z of Old Dublin Cinemas".
    Thanks for that spurious, it brought a smile to my face :)
    Incidentally, my parents knew both the Peter Brady and Jim Sweeney mentioned in the caption, quite well :)
    God that photo brings back memories. The first time I was in that cinema was 1982 when as a treat for starting primary school my friends mum took us to see ET. I also remember how it was always freezing in the place.

Its funny how you forget the way Lucan used to be and what was there before and is now gone.

Now that you mention it, I saw ET in there too!! I'm a few years older than you though, I started primary school in 1979.

It's funny how at one time Lucan could support a cinema, despite being a tiny town. I wonder if it could manage that today. I know Liffey Valley is only a stones throw away but I imagine people from Lucan, Leixlip, and Celbridge would use it. Couldn't have it in the village though!

Great photo Spurious, thanks. When did the cinema get knocked to make way for the bank and apartments? Mid-90's?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The aforementioned book has this photo taken in 1995, so it was demolished sometime soon after that I would say.

74722.jpg

The person who took the picture has it labelled 'Grove cinema' - was it called that at one stage?

spurious wrote: »
    The aforementioned book has this photo taken in 1995, so it was demolished sometime soon after that I would say.

74722.jpg

The person who took the picture has it labelled 'Grove cinema' - was it called that at one stage?

Mary Mulhall is someone I know personally :) She is author of a number of local history books for Lucan, including 'Lucan and Lucanians' iirc. If she calls it the Grove then it must have had that name at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

Ah lads... deadly stuff...

I think the cinema used to be called The Grove at first and had its name changed to Premiere... I'll check that with the ma.

Do you also remember...

Crowe's Corner

Goobays

Irish Cementation (where Ardeen and the An Post sorting offce is now)

The Co-op

Big J

... among others...

... and McCormacks... Jaysus, how could I forget that!

... and that aul one that had a tiny shop in between Lynch's and Toolan's... what was that called again? Saunders?

• Advertisement

Jamfan wrote: »
    Ah lads... deadly stuff...

I think the cinema used to be called The Grove at first and had its name changed to Premiere... I'll check that with the ma.

Do you also remember...

Crowe's Corner

Goobays

Irish Cementation (where Ardeen and the An Post sorting offce is now)

The Co-op

Big J

... among others...

... and McCormacks... Jaysus, how could I forget that!

... and that aul one that had a tiny shop in between Lynch's and Toolan's... what was that called again? Saunders?

Ha ha, now you're talking Jamfan :) Yep I remember Goobays alright, the trolleys with the blue handles and the 'three guys' motif on them!
    I remember too at that time there were shops at the back of the checkouts, where the wall is now. That meant you didn't have to leave the shop to go to the Newsagents, Butchers or the Wool shop.

I remember being sent to Big J's for white contact adhesive once and coming back with clear contact adhesive. My Mam wasn't best pleased, it was okay though because we lived about 200 metres from Big J's anyway. I always thought the co-op was dark and dingy as a kid but I loved McCormacks, simply because there was such a wide variety of things there, you could buy flies for fly fishing and pick up a toy matchbox car if you wanted to at the same time (if you had the money :().

I remember in the spot where the An Post sorting office and Ardeen are there used to be a vegetable market at one time too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

I also am from closeby to Big J and am about the same age as you, as you started school in 1979... hopefully we are not childhood enemies or whatever... lol... you're a mod so check if you know who I am... we MUST know each other.

Anyway...

Big J... used to go in to buy a tin of paint or ten pence worth of nails and no matter how lowly the purchase they used to write out an invoice in duplicate on that contraption they had.

McCormacks... great shop. Pity the old lady died. She was a bit stern, but had a great shop. Used to love the Matchbox display box in the window.

Ah yeah, the shops inside Tescos... or Three Guys and then Goobays and then Tesco, as it was back then... News Extra and Cripps and some others.

That's right, down where The Cementation was there used to be a fruit and veg market... your man used to reduce the price down to the lowest five pence with a glint in his eye... if a couple of carrots came to 27p he'd round it down to 25p... lol. After that there used to be a fellah in there that sold Yugo cars. We used to call the old Cementation offices 'The Haunted House'.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dufresne

The cinema in the village was always called The Grove. I've never heard it called anything else. I knew several of the lads from 'The Park' and Dodsboro who worked there. I remember it was decrepid and there were always people screaming that they'd seen a rat..

Oh yeah and as r3nu4l said - you never sat under the balcony.

I remember McCormacks and the cars in the window and never being able to afford one. There used to ba a shop directly across from the boys school (was it called Dignams???) - we used to buy 'blackjacks' there in the early 70s and you got 8 for a penny.

We should do a historic pictures of Lucan thread - like some of the other ones on boards - or even a 'now and then' with pics of old Lucan and whats there now - Anyone remember the tearooms at the Liffey Bridge where the road into Laracon is now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Does anyone remember the butcher that used to be where Spar is now in Dodsboro? Also there used to be a cake shop beside it!

http://www.iol.ie/~geof/hist.htm

^That is interesting, I might just go around and look at all the old ruins!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i remember gubays well from when i was a nipper. we lived in leixlip but always done our shopping down there. they used to have a huge shelf for packing your messages(who calls them that now?!!) into.

i forgot all about big j's,went in there many times with my aul fella.

the cinema was a real eye-sore in the village for a long time. never thought a block of apartments would be so welcome. i have vague memories of being in it once and then going to the east end for a smoked cod and chips with me ma' and da'.

that 'lucan and lucanians' is a great read by the way,loads of stuff you'll probably never have realised about the history of the area.

Jamfan wrote: »
    I also am from closeby to Big J and am about the same age as you, as you started school in 1979... hopefully we are not childhood enemies or whatever... lol... you're a mod so check if you know who I am... we MUST know each other.

Well I'm a Hillcrest lad, you may be Woodview, I only knew one or two lads from Woodview. I doubt we were enemies :D

Nah, us mods can't check your details. Only SMods can and even at that it's not something they do without just cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

R3nu4l I love your threads! First the Summer project, Now the cinema! I'm so having a walk down memory lane this lunchtime! I'm from Hillcrest too btw. The cinema was like the centre of the universe to me!! ET was the thing I remember most and having to be removed from the building cos I was crying so much over him getting taken away near the end! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mikefitznyc

IvySlayer, the butcher that used to be up there, wasn't Collins, was it? Beside the Cottage Stores? How long are they gone now, I'm out of Ireland since the mid '90s. Also, last time I was home, noticed that Carroll's butchers in the village was derelict, that's long gone too? Used to be two Carroll families living there, as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Isn't the butcher shop down in the village still run by the Collins?
    The one beside Power and Smullen....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Heroditas wrote: »
    Isn't the butcher shop down in the village still run by the Collins?
    The one beside Power and Smullen....

Yep,still a Collins butchery.

Mikefitz,Carrolls is gone a long time now. The site is in a prime location in the village but sadly it's just a magnet for posters for the latest circus in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

The Groovy Grove!
    The Last Film I saw there was Lady and the Tramp.

Have you noticed the apartment that are now on site look a little worse for wear - a bit shabby and beginning to show signs of aging - they might not even last as long as the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Incidentally, my parents knew both the Peter Brady and Jim Sweeney mentioned in the caption, quite well :)

Peter Brady was acting as grand Martial at the parade again this year and loving it!
    Jim Sweeney - still some fantastic photographs in his studio window!

Are they ever going to bring back the Mayor of Lucan? (sponsered by Kenny's of course!)

Also BigJ the hardware store - all my destroy it yourself skills were learned from there.

Down where Topaz petrol station is - (still called the Jet Hill), that's where the Lucan car factory was making those bubble cars. Opposite it where Village Court (China town) was a cottage. That's where my father in law was born.

The road from Courtney's up towards superquinn - it is always referred to as Adamstown road on maps. We have always called that the Lock road.
    What do you know it as?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭finnigan

stoneill wrote: »
    The road from Courtney's up towards superquinn - it is always referred to as Adamstown road on maps. We have always called that the Lock road.
    What do you know it as?

I always knew it as the hollow hill :D

stoneill wrote: »
    Also BigJ the hardware store - all my destroy it yourself skills were learned from there.
    I still call that area BigJs and still call it the Jet hill too :)

What do you know it as?
    finnigan wrote: »
    I always knew it as the hollow hill :D

I always called it the Lock road too but referred to the wooded area as the hollow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

Im from hillcrest too so this is a great thread to see - the first movie I ever saw in any cinema was in that cinema and it was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, I remember being amazed. Does anybody remember the garden centre just up from ardeevin, across from the old sorting office? Big Js and the cottage stores they are some memories - the lady from the shop well she would be elderly now lives across the road from me. memories! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mikefitznyc

I remember the garden centre there alright, and the lads running the fruit and veg stalls there? There was also a tyre place too, would've been in the early to mid '80s. And the old BP garage, anyone remember that? We used to get loads of our tyres for the halloween bonfire there, hoping they wouldn't be nicked by lads from other estates!!

Im from hillcrest too so this is a great thread to see - the first movie I ever saw in any cinema was in that cinema and it was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, I remember being amazed. Does anybody remember the garden centre just up from ardeevin, across from the old sorting office? Big Js and the cottage stores they are some memories - the lady from the shop well she would be elderly now lives across the road from me. memories! :D

Yup, I remember the garden centre alright, is there anything on that site now? Last couple of times I was home there was nothing there.

I miss the cottage stores, I bought so many penny sweets and lucky bags from that place as a kid :) When you refer to the 'old lady' are you referring to the original owners wife (Mrs Langan) or Mrs Smith? I knew them both and in fact one of my earliest memories in my life is from about 1977-78 when my Dad was talking to Mr Langan and I was sitting in my buggy watching him. Mr Langan gave me a free lollipop and I remember being chuffed :D
    I remember the garden centre there alright, and the lads running the fruit and veg stalls there?
    Ah, someone else who remembers the fruit and veg market where the sorting office is now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yup, I remember the garden centre alright, is there anything on that site now? Last couple of times I was home there was nothing there.

I miss the cottage stores, I bought so many penny sweets and lucky bags from that place as a kid :) When you refer to the 'old lady' are you referring to the original owners wife (Mrs Langan) or Mrs Smith? I knew them both and in fact one of my earliest memories in my life is from about 1977-78 when my Dad was talking to Mr Langan and I was sitting in my buggy watching him. Mr Langan gave me a free lollipop and I remember being chuffed :D

I honestly cannot tell you and I walk by it most evenings with the dog :rolleyes: typical. Ill let you know tomo if I am around that way this eve. I'm referring to Mrs Smith - I cannot recollect Mrs Langan at all but I am sure its probably in the depths of my memory somewhere! I used to queue in the post office around the side to buy money for stamps for my cyril the squirrel card and walk back up through the lane. I was never so put out when they got rid of that lane. My shortcut gone for ever :mad:

...walk back up through the lane. I was never so put out when they got rid of that lane. My shortcut gone for ever :mad:
    Couldn't believe it when I saw that lane was gone! In fact, getting back to my original topic, I remember once arranging to meet friends at BigJ so we could go to the cinema and we decided to meet up at the top of the lane before going to the cottage stores to buy food and snacks for the film :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I remember the garden centre there alright, and the lads running the fruit and veg stalls there? There was also a tyre place too, would've been in the early to mid '80s. And the old BP garage, anyone remember that? We used to get loads of our tyres for the halloween bonfire there, hoping they wouldn't be nicked by lads from other estates!!

That's right, there was a fruit and veg place in there. Yer man was a larger than life character who used to round the prices down to the nearest 5p. They also had a shed or something with all sorts of second-hand rubbish laid out on long tables for sale.

Afer that there was a tyre place there and they even sold Yugo cars for a while.

Advertisement