Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

This video is on the Frontpage of RTE news site.
    Thought it would mention the sh*tstorm that is brewing, but no - quite the opposite...

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0305/media-3218619.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Six One just ran a story on Anonymous, very negatively slanted and focused on the consequences and jailings that have resulted from actions of this nature in other countries. They actually ran the recent attacks on government websites as examples of this behaviour but neglected to mention the cause or protests behind these attacks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The governments spin department is hard at work publishing negative articles about hacking and the Internet. Don't think we've seen articles such as this one in a long time.

The governments spin department is hard at work publishing negative articles about hacking and the Internet. Don't think we've seen articles such as this one in a long time.

Eh how is that spin? It is not related to this really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

There's no spin there, like it or not that's just a list of all the verifiable information on the case at this point, and it has nothing to do with sherlock or SOPA, it'd pretty big news internationally in it's own right.

A spin piece would have been an article on how 'Anonymous' 'hacked'/'took down' labour.ie and seansherlock.ie in retaliation for 'being prevented from infringing copyright', along the lines of the articles that appeared in the wake of the whole megaupload fiasco. I have to say I was expecting something small along those lines but thankfully it never appeared.

Eh how is that spin? It is not related to this really.
    There's no spin there, like it or not that's just a list of all the verifiable information on the case at this point, and it has nothing to do with sherlock or SOPA, it'd pretty big news internationally in it's own right.

A spin piece would have been an article on how 'Anonymous' 'hacked'/'took down' labour.ie and seansherlock.ie in retaliation for 'being prevented from infringing copyright', along the lines of the articles that appeared in the wake of the whole megaupload fiasco. I have to say I was expecting something small along those lines but thankfully it never appeared.

I meant spin as in numerous articles concerning hacking and copyright infringement are getting major coverage from all the major news outlets. There's been numerous cases similar to this in the past and none have gotten as much attention.

I meant spin as in numerous articles concerning hacking and copyright infringement are getting major coverage from all the major news outlets. There's been numerous cases similar to this in the past and none have gotten as much attention.

A 19 year old councillor’s son from this country, and the back end of it at that, is implicated in serious crimes for which he may find himself extradited to the US, a crime which was infamous in the media when it occurred, and you find it suspicious that, like American and British outlets, Irish media chooses to run the story as soon as it emerges?

Are you fracking kidding me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

This has been on the rise (worldwide) for a long time, it is always misunderstood. It is what it is, what it is not is related to the SI.

What Wonderfulname said too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Realistically, is there any way of stopping this law?

ottostreet wrote: »

He is adamant it was not to be reworded and he has stuck it out so far so I would say not in the governments life time.
    By that stage we will see how bad or good it turns out to be.

He is adamant it was not to be reworded and he has stuck it out so far so I would say not in the governments life time.

That is disgraceful.

Not entirely true, he's adamant it will not be changed or clarified before a 'test case', whether or not that's just a means of getting people off his back is another story.

Not entirely true, he's adamant it will not be changed or clarified before a 'test case', whether or not that's just a means of getting people off his back is another story.

Ok, I did not know that but he was defiantly adamant about not changing it despite others in the Oireachtas asking it and of course many many other people asking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Ok, I did not know that but he was defiantly adamant about not changing it despite others in the Oireachtas asking it and of course many many other people asking for it.

He would be. If he changes it now he won't get his cheque from EMI

eth0 wrote: »

Well, I am sure it is coincidental.

Anyway aren't EMI (and co) continuing in their pursuit of greed despite the SI anyway? Or was that old news I read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

eth0 wrote: »
    But cheques are traceable

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Not in this governments lifetime but this mans career and public image should be destroyed for betraying democracy.

I'm shocked that there hasn't been any protest about this. There should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

I'm shocked that there hasn't been any protest about this. There should be.
    Their was a few weeks back, a tumbleweed was seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

got this reply from teh numpty yesterday

I would like to update you regarding the enactment of the European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012.

I fully acknowledge the concerns that have been expressed by you regarding the introduction of the European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012 which were signed into law on 29th February, 2012. I wish to re-emphasise that it has been necessary to introduce this legislative measure to restate the position that was thought to exist in the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 regarding injunctions against intermediaries prior to the High Court Judgement of Justice Charleton in the case of EMI & others –v- UPC and to ensure that Ireland is compliant with our obligations under EU law.

I am satisfied that the High Court now has significant guidance in the implementation of this legislative measure arising from the underpinning EU Directives, as interpreted by the recent Court of Justice of the European Union case law, to ensure that any remedy provided will uphold the following principles:

• Freedom to conduct a business enjoyed by operators such as ISPs;
    • The absolute requirement that an ISP cannot be required to carry out general monitoring on the information it carries on its network;
    • Any measures must be fair and proportionate and not be unnecessarily complicated or costly;
    • The fundamental rights of an ISPs’ customers must be respected, namely their right to protection of their personal data and their freedom to receive or impart information.

I am determined to ensure that Ireland will be a premier location where innovation can flourish and where innovation is facilitated by our copyright laws and data protection regime. In this regard, I am committed to reviewing and updating the Copyright legislation currently in place in order to strike the right balance between encouraging innovation and protecting creativity.

In this context, I am particularly anxious that the Consultation Paper of the Copyright Review Committee, which was launched on 29th February, 2012, is carefully studied by all interested parties to stimulate a constructive and well informed debate on these issues. This is a wide-ranging Consultation Paper which examines the current copyright legislative framework to identify any areas of the legislation that might be deemed to create barriers to innovation. The Consultation Paper is available to download at the following link: http://www.djei.ie/science/ipr/crc_statement.htm.

I would like to encourage the deepest engagement by all interested parties in the consultation process which has been launched in order to stimulate a constructive and well informed debate on all of the issues raised in this rapidly evolving area.

I am confident that the work being carried out by the Copyright Review Committee together with the interaction and input of all of the interested parties will result in establishing Irish copyright law on a firm footing to encourage innovation, foster creativity and meet the challenges of the future with confidence.

Yours sincerely,

Seán Sherlock TD
    Minister for Research and Innovation

now i thought he was a JUNIOR minister

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Faolchu your reply was much nicer than mine
    Think you might need to era the copyright review doc. Then come back with something intelligible and considered. Then research for yourself the Amt of money I spend as minister on new web technology. Honestly, you'd really want to educate yourself on this.

Thanks.

Sean Sherlock TD
    Minister of State

Sent from my iPhone

Having said that, I didn't really comment on the introduction of the European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012, more on his heritage and lineage and threw in a few "what would a culchie know about the internet" questions so I think my reply was more than fair.

I was going to respond with "it's read Sean not era" but I think my work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

i still cant fathom how anyone can sign something into law THEN decide to have a public consultation process on it. seemss kinds cart before the horse to me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Just fired off an email. Feel free to nab it and use it yourself if you wish. I won't sue ;)
    Dear Junior Minister Sherlock,

It has been reported that this afternoon, the legislation dubbed the "Irish SOPA" has been signed into law. I wish to question why you chose to ignore the uproar and controversy that has surrounded this issue ever since it was originally announced.

Ireland is internationally considered to be one of the best places in the world for IT companies to locate; legislation like this is not only a deterrent to future investors, but is beginning to make large international corporations like Google question if Ireland is really the place for them to be (Source: http://tinyurl.com/6nasjhr). If Google decide to leave Ireland (thus taking 2000 jobs with them) as a direct result of your actions today, will you be held to account? In this time of economic turbulence, how can you possibly afford to be so careless when it comes to internet legislation?

Your actions today have damaged the Labour Party's credibility when it comes to matters of technology, and has almost guaranteed the end of your personal political career.

Yours in disappointment,

Just got a reply this afternoon. Feels like a copy&paste job that doesn't really address anything I raised in my email, but judge for yourselves.
    A Chara,

I would like to update you regarding the enactment of the European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012.

I fully acknowledge the concerns that have been expressed by you regarding the introduction of the European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012 which were signed into law on 29th February, 2012. I wish to re-emphasise that it has been necessary to introduce this legislative measure to restate the position that was thought to exist in the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 regarding injunctions against intermediaries prior to the High Court Judgement of Justice Charleton in the case of EMI & others –v- UPC and to ensure that Ireland is compliant with our obligations under EU law.

I am satisfied that the High Court now has significant guidance in the implementation of this legislative measure arising from the underpinning EU Directives, as interpreted by the recent Court of Justice of the European Union case law, to ensure that any remedy provided will uphold the following principles:

• Freedom to conduct a business enjoyed by operators such as ISPs;
    • The absolute requirement that an ISP cannot be required to carry out general monitoring on the information it carries on its network;
    • Any measures must be fair and proportionate and not be unnecessarily complicated or costly;
    • The fundamental rights of an ISPs’ customers must be respected, namely their right to protection of their personal data and their freedom to receive or impart information.

I am determined to ensure that Ireland will be a premier location where innovation can flourish and where innovation is facilitated by our copyright laws and data protection regime. In this regard, I am committed to reviewing and updating the Copyright legislation currently in place in order to strike the right balance between encouraging innovation and protecting creativity.

In this context, I am particularly anxious that the Consultation Paper of the Copyright Review Committee, which was launched on 29th February, 2012, is carefully studied by all interested parties to stimulate a constructive and well informed debate on these issues. This is a wide-ranging Consultation Paper which examines the current copyright legislative framework to identify any areas of the legislation that might be deemed to create barriers to innovation. The Consultation Paper is available to download at the following link: http://www.djei.ie/science/ipr/crc_statement.htm.

I would like to encourage the deepest engagement by all interested parties in the consultation process which has been launched in order to stimulate a constructive and well informed debate on all of the issues raised in this rapidly evolving area.

I am confident that the work being carried out by the Copyright Review Committee together with the interaction and input of all of the interested parties will result in establishing Irish copyright law on a firm footing to encourage innovation, foster creativity and meet the challenges of the future with confidence.

Yours sincerely,

Seán Sherlock TD
    Minister for Research and Innovation

Besides the fact that:
    a) The courts shouldn't require the extra document detailing how to apply the law if the law wasn't so vague in the first place and
    b) he didn't acknowledge that Google may or may not pull out of Ireland due to this law
    I don't really feel that the response is fully adequate. Nevertheless, at least he replied. Over two weeks later.

EDIT: for those who are curious, this response was from sean.sherlock@oireachtas.ie and not a questionably valid hotmail address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Got the same reply today myself.
    Seems it was just a copy and paste sent to hundreds of people..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

A Chara

I really hate when people use this in letters. It's usually from someone who does not regard themselves as a friend of yours, like a politician, or a money hungry bank.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I really hate when people use this in letters. It's usually from someone who does not regard themselves as a friend of yours, like a politician, or a money hungry bank.

It's a pet peeve of mine too. Though maybe he's trying to make himself look good for Seachtain na Gaeilge :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Got the same reply that others got today.
    Had to reply with the words

"Dear Mr Sherlock,
    You are not my "friend" and I would never consider you one after the shambles that is this Statutory Instrument so please dont address me in this manner in any further correspondence"

Couldnt resist it to be honest :D:D

On another note can you be arrested for egging politicians??

Patricks Day they`ll all be out doing their community spirit crap in the local parade so I think a dozen eggs plus a few beers my way and I might just end up having some target practice :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Got the same reply that others got today.
    Had to reply with the words

"Dear Mr Sherlock,
    You are not my "friend" and I would never consider you one after the shambles that is this Statutory Instrument so please dont address me in this manner in any further correspondence"

Couldnt resist it to be honest :D:D

On another note can you be arrested for egging politicians??

Patricks Day they`ll all be out doing their community spirit crap in the local parade so I think a dozen eggs plus a few beers my way and I might just end up having some target practice :D:D
    seriously?

Advertisement