Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

billbond4 wrote: »
    Signs up that the J9 GarryCastle,Moydrum,Blyry slip roads will be closed from Thursday 1st March for FIVE weeks :mad:

All that sh1te for traffic lights. And just to make things even more of a pain, they have temp traffic lights to lube the motorist up. Adds 3 minutes to my journey (and thats before they close the exit off)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yipp, WCC have **** loads of money this year for Roads and Signs in Athlone.
    What recession ??
    Thats diamonds they put in the roadpaint to make it sparkle at nighttime :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

What a load of ......eh......negatively charged particles :)

Great signage; another €3,500,000,000 in promissory notes paid for a dead bank.

Wonder how much those gantry signs cost? :cool:

Adds 3 minutes to my journey

Three minutes eh?

That's....lemme see....180 seconds. :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Does anyone have any pics of the Athlone Bypass as it looks now, all resurfaced and looking new again?

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    What a load of ......eh......negatively charged particles :)

Great signage; another €3,500,000,000 in promissory notes paid for a dead bank.

Wonder how much those gantry signs cost? :cool:
    Going to ask wcc how much all the new gantrys cost

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Adds 3 minutes to my journey

Three minutes eh?

That's....lemme see....180 seconds. :eek:
    Yeah 3 minutes twice a day for 5 days (assume going to work) for 5 weeks = 150 minutes. So two and half hours wasted sitting in traffic

The point is that Garrycastle junction did not, i repeat NOT need these lights. Even in the evenings you could get out of the junction (even turning right) within a mnute, maybe 2 at the absolute most

No junction needed traffic lights (some could have done with pedestrian lights) traffic flow was fine before hand.

Those junctions should have mini-roundabouts, that's all they need to give fair traffic flow sharing!
    They would have been cheaper to install and maintain and would have cost much less in electricity to operate!

But WCC decided on the most costly option. :mad:

• Advertisement

Ah sure, its only money from the EU, spend it away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I don't get the hostility towards the gantry signs? It's an NRA programme putting them up, not WCC. It's not as if they exist on their own on any other road - they go hand-in-hand with the ADS and finger posts.

I drove the bypass for the first time today since they went up and think they fit in well. At least these won't get buried in the trees and bushes. A couple of new brown signs gone up as well.

whyulittle wrote: »
    I don't get the hostility towards the gantry signs? It's an NRA programme putting them up, not WCC. It's not as if they exist on their own on any other road - they go hand-in-hand with the ADS and finger posts.

I drove the bypass for the first time today since they went up and think they fit in well. At least these won't get buried in the trees and bushes. A couple of new brown signs gone up as well.

Nothing wrong with the signs as such, it's just the fact that the existing ones are less than two years old!

Yeah but it's not like those signs are now being ripped out of the ground. The gantries could just as easily have gone in at the same time as the others were replaced.

The signs are barely 5 months old :eek:
    No planning involved at all with WCC, i.e.
    First concrete barriers were put down.
    Then sections of road between Coosan and town Centre upgraded.
    During upgrade parts of road were closed and then reclosed.
    Signs put up for exits last year removed and replaced with gantrys.

Im just waiting till they decided they want to put lights on the bypass and close it again for another year

Traffic management plans are up on WCC
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/news/name,11302,en.html
    No mention of google as the copyright owner of the maps though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Noticed that the signs for J13 East Bound finally acknowledge that the Motorway ends at that junction (Blue sign with Green route ahead and White Route Slip) and the route distance sign after the junction has been changed from blue to green.

flazio wrote: »
    Noticed that the signs for J13 East Bound finally acknowledge that the Motorway ends at that junction (Blue sign with Green route ahead and White Route Slip) and the route distance sign after the junction has been changed from blue to green.

Good! I was wondering whether they would sort out that anomaly only the other day.

billbond4 wrote: »
    No mention of google as the copyright owner of the maps though :D

ffs.

Have you got a kitchen sink handy? Throw it in will ya?

The words of Brendan Behan spring to mind......:cool:

And the opposite the other side - blue signage is now replaced with green.

Im a broken record but WHAT a waste of money. Get it right the first time and even if its wrong, use any few beans you have on something useful (like lighting on the bypass or a burly (and h0rny) man to hop on any idiot that decides that walking or cycling the hard shoulder is a good idea. Oh dont get me started on the joggers going contra flow near Monsksland :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

a burly (and h0rny) man to hop on any idiot that decides that walking or cycling the hard shoulder is a good idea. Oh dont get me started on the joggers going contra flow near Monsksland

It's not a motorway: they are allowed.

I think it should be a motorway, with upgrades to J10 and J13, closure for J9, J11 and J12 and new/improved link roads off-line for local traffic.

But we missed our chance in the boom years, and it's Never Going To Happen.

It's not a motorway: they are allowed.

I think it should be a motorway, with upgrades to J10 and J13, closure for J9, J11 and J12 and new/improved link roads off-line for local traffic.

I dont doubt the legality of it - its the stupidity and dangerous-ness of it im concerned about.

Nice new painted on roundabout at J11 at the T-junction to go into Coosan.

It looks like the turning lane for the traffic going from B&Q onto the bypass eastbound, has been reversed - now it's for traffic going from Coosan to the bypass westbound.

Nice new painted on roundabout at J11 at the T-junction to go into Coosan.

It looks like the turning lane for the traffic going from B&Q onto the bypass eastbound, has been reversed - now it's for traffic going from Coosan to the bypass westbound.
    That description has totally confused me! :confused:
    I'll be down that way in the next few days, so will see it anyway.

Nice new painted on roundabout at near J11 at the T-junction to go into Coosan.

It looks like the turning / filter lane (under the flyover) for the traffic going from B&Q direction onto the bypass eastbound, has been reversed - now it's for traffic going from Coosan to the bypass westbound.
    That description has totally confused me! :confused:
    I'll be down that way in the next few days, so will see it anyway.

Best I can do!

No big deal either way. Just personally I would join the bypass from the B&Q direction more than from the Coosan direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No big deal either way. Just personally I would join the bypass from the B&Q direction more than from the Coosan direction.

The arrows on the plan seem to suggest that there'll be no right turn up that eastbound ramp, you'll have to do a 180 at the mini roundabout and turn left (and probably get caught twice at the lights).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What exactly are they building under the flyover at Exit 9?

A pedestrian bridge.

Junction 9 - Garrycastle Interchange:

Ø Two-way traffic flow has returned to the Junction 9 Bridge and will remain in place until the week of resurfacing commencing Monday March 26th.

Ø During the resurfacing the two-way traffic flow will not be interrupted before 09:30 each day.

Ø A new pedestrian/cyclist bridge will be installed over Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th March. The dual carriageway will be closed under the Garrycastle bridge to mainline traffic during this period and the On and Off ramps will be temporarily re-opened during this period. Diversions will be in place to manage dual carriageway traffic.

Ø The project is on track for completion in the 1st week of April 2012.

Junction 10 - Ballymahon Road Interchange:

Ø Works are planned to start in 3 weeks time, approximately Week starting 2nd April.

Ø Closure of the On/Off ramps is envisaged at a later date for 10 days.

Ø This closure will not occur until after Junction 9 ramps re-open

• Advertisement

A troll bridge :D

Advertisement