Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 years jail for garlic scam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

6 years is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

l.m wrote: »
    He is the owner of a successful company which employes over 100 people, he did not bring his company to success without hard work.

If he hadn't defrauded the state, he wouldn't have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

No you grow up, stop judging him. He is the owner of a successful company which employes over 100 people, he did not bring his company to success without hard work. Your just jealous or plain ignorant.
    Its easy to run a sucessful import business when you're smuggling the goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

No you grow up, stop judging him. He is the owner of a successful company which employes over 100 people, he did not bring his company to success without hard work. Your just jealous or plain ignorant.

He has already been judged. And found guilty.

Being the owner of a successful company does not, and should not, stop him from suffering the consequences of his actions.

That doesn't make me jealous or somehow ignorant. If anything, it makes me naive as it shows me that justice can be blind and every man before her stand there are equals, which I like to believe but a belief which is regularly mocked by actions of the judiciary.

It must be said that only in Ireland could the fact that he has a successful business, the success of which was in part helped by the fraud he has been jailed for, be used as a reason not to jail him. Its like Sean Quinn all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

I wouldn't have a problem with this 6 year sentence if our legal system was consistent. It seems that only the small fry gets punished in this country. In fact the very people that destroyed the country are still drinking champagne in their country clubs. I have zero respect for our legal system. A system that allows people like Ivor Callelly to rob the public blind without any real fear of conviction.

Of course the man committed a crime and should be punished, but the sentence has only highlighted what we already know...i.e if he was a high profile member of fianna fail he wouldn't be in prison now... he'd be with the rest of his cronies laughing at us plebeians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Now that's just childish. Jealous I don't think so. I work hard pay all relevant taxes and this weekend will be in London watching the rugby and enjoying a nice weekend with the wife. Where as Begley the tax dodger will be in a cell pondering why he didn't do likewise, in fact he is probably now jealous of all of us who enjoy our freedom. It's a sad day when people like you think a company is a success when one of it's directors has been locked up for fraud. The ignorance lies with your inexplicable attitude towards criminals and your defence of this one. As I said earlier his parents built up the company that he has now brought shame on. I have not judged him I am merely commenting on a topic he has already been judged and guess what I.m he was found guilty of a crime and punished with the removal of his liberty. Jealous me arse. I also don't think you can run a business from prison I could be wrong so you had best check with Mr Begley. I'd say it's tough enough to have a shower let alone run Ireland's largest fruit and veg company.

nm wrote: »
    6 years is insane

It's almost as insane as a wealthy business man with more than enough money defrauding €1.6m just in case he went short.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 noblankski

I have not read all 30 odd pages of comment so apologies if someone already came up with this, but why didn't begley just not import garlic in the first place. problem solved!!!

seriously though, there's nice criminal and not nice criminals now is there eh ? and he's a nice one is he?

I have not read all 30 odd pages of comment so apologies if someone already came up with this, but why didn't begley just not import garlic in the first place. problem solved!!!

seriously though, there's nice criminal and not nice criminals now is there eh ? and he's a nice one is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0309/begleyp.html

''The head of Ireland's largest fruit and vegetable producers has been jailed for six years for a €1.6m scam involving the importation of garlic.
    Paul Begley, 46, avoided paying customs duty on over 1,000 tonnes of garlic from China by having them labelled as apples.
    Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard the import duty on garlic is "inexplicably" high and can be up to 232%.
    In contrast, onions have an import duty of 9%.
    The maximum sentence for the offence is five years in prison or a fine of three times the value of the goods.
    Judge Martin Nolan imposed the maximum term on one count and one year on another count.''

Is this a bit excessive when you would get a lesser sentence for a serious assault ?

there seems to be a massive amount of support for the dude here.
    he is going to jail for something he did not do-pay duty. People like him threaten european garlic industry, hence the exorbitant tax.

we seem to have a high tolerance for crimminal activity in this country. He willingly broke the law and now he pays the EU wide penalty for his crimes.

do the crime. do the time.

noblankski wrote: »

wahts wrong with european garlic? chinese food here is watered down already.
    he would have been made aware of the consequences of his actions, but never thought EU law would be enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there seems to be a massive amount of support for the dude here.
    he is going to jail for something he did not do-pay duty. People like him threaten european garlic industry, hence the exorbitant tax.

we seem to have a high tolerance for crimminal activity in this country. He willingly broke the law and now he pays the EU wide penalty for his crimes.

do the crime. do the time.
    I say fcuk the EU and their Garlic, what did they do to protect our fishing? ....... absolutely NOTHING, they just raped it.

I understand the harms on our economy it has I just don't think it's right for him to be treated the same way rapists are

he cheated the state of millions in lost revenue. money that could have been used for our benefit.
    you could argue that that kid in Galway was only having the craic when he hacked into computer accounts. if the FBI get hold of him he could do twenty years, which you argue is excessive but a example needs to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

I wonder what the Head of Garlic has to say about this?

I say fcuk the EU and their Garlic, what did they do to protect our fishing? ....... absolutely NOTHING, they just raped it.

aye, fcuk them and their free money which they gave us for decades, keeping us afloat. we never wanted it in the first place. they have the cheek to ask us to pay a loan, sorry bailout, back.

benway wrote: »
    If he hadn't defrauded the state, he wouldn't have a problem.

true, very true, but he threatened the european garlic market. i can imagine those making their livelihood from garlic in Europe would not appreciate him bringing in cheap garlic.

dvpower wrote: »
    Its easy to run a sucessful import business when you're smuggling the goods.

'smuggling' is such a dirty word. I am sure his apologists have a nicer word. the media have avoided this term.
    why did the judge call him a 'decent man'? if Seannie Fitz and Fingers Fingelton are ever brought to trial will the same be said of them? It almost implies if it were up to the judge he would acquit him, but a higher power demands satisfaction for breaking the law.

The evil EU is behind all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

they have the cheek to ask us to pay a loan, sorry bailout, back.

Eh? You mean the taxpayers money that was stolen from this country and given to French and German gamblers because their gambles (largely private investment banks) didn't pay out for them? Yeah. How dare we question that. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Blame the government of the time.

They sold the fishing to protect the farming.

Probably easier just to go EU boo! Down with the EU! They are the cause of all our problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

He broke the law fair enough, I think the sentence is a bit tough considering he's already paid back €700k and is on route to pay back the rest + fines etc. + he co-operated throughout the whole thing...

Getting 6 years for that while a man who raped and abused his daughter over a 12 year period gets 6 years also.. Doesn't seem right to me. You can repay money, you can't give that woman her 12yrs back....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0312/mulveyr.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Food importer mislabels his produce to avoid an import duty which he is now in the process of repaying --- 6 years in prison

Woman goes on a drink and drug fuelled rampage, crushing a man to death in an attempt to hit his intellectually challeneged son --- 6 years in prison (last 2 suspended)

Wtf is the world coming to? :confused:

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0309/begleyp.html

''The head of Ireland's largest fruit and vegetable producers has been jailed for six years for a €1.6m scam involving the importation of garlic.
    Paul Begley, 46, avoided paying customs duty on over 1,000 tonnes of garlic from China by having them labelled as apples.
    Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard the import duty on garlic is "inexplicably" high and can be up to 232%.
    In contrast, onions have an import duty of 9%.
    The maximum sentence for the offence is five years in prison or a fine of three times the value of the goods.
    Judge Martin Nolan imposed the maximum term on one count and one year on another count.''

Is this a bit excessive when you would get a lesser sentence for a serious assault ?

the title of this thread contains the word 'scam' which implies a petty crime as opposed to millions of euro of unpaid duty.

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    Food importer mislabels his produce to avoid an import duty which he is now in the process of repaying --- 6 years in prison

Woman goes on a drink and drug fuelled rampage, crushing a man to death in an attempt to hit his intellectually challeneged son --- 6 years in prison (last 2 suspended)

folks mislabel products all the time. its one way the drugs come into the country.

the crime has bee committed, he has been caught and is trying to make amends but its too late.

why do people here have such a problem obeying the law?

unklerosco wrote: »
    He broke the law fair enough, I think the sentence is a bit tough considering he's already paid back €700k and is on route to pay back the rest + fines etc. + he co-operated throughout the whole thing...

Getting 6 years for that while a man who raped and abused his daughter over a 12 year period gets 6 years also.. Doesn't seem right to me. You can repay money, you can't give that woman her 12yrs back....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0312/mulveyr.html

how much of our money would he have paid back if he had not been caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

unklerosco wrote: »
    HGetting 6 years for that while a man who raped and abused his daughter over a 12 year period gets 6 years also.. Doesn't seem right to me.
    Meow_Meow wrote: »

I love that people are still comparing this to other offences, but not one of you has bothered to address the apparent rationale behind imposing substantial prison sentences in cases like this:
    In the case of offences involving public revenue - such as taxation offences and social welfare fraud - the level of moral delinquency will not often approach [the same level as violent crime], although, of course, it can do so.

This is not at all to suggest that crimes involving the loss of public revenue are somehow victimless crimes. Quite the contrary: offences of this kind strike at the heart of the principles of equity, equality of treatment and social solidarity on which the entire edifice of the taxation and social security systems lean. This is especially so at a time of emergency so far as the public finances are concerned.

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/23fd4a34bad801d980256ec50047a0a8/0d6878ae2d101d93802579b40052fc3f?OpenDocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

aye, fcuk them and their free money which they gave us for decades, keeping us afloat. we never wanted in the first place. they have the cheek to ask us to pay a loan, sorry bailout, back.
    There is NO such thing as a free lunch, all that so called "free money" will be paid back dearly to this undemocratic institute through our loss of our sovereignty.

I love that people are still comparing this to other offences, but not one of you has bothered to address the apparent rationale behind imposing substantial prison sentences in cases like this:

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/23fd4a34bad801d980256ec50047a0a8/0d6878ae2d101d93802579b40052fc3f?OpenDocument

The rational behind all of those who are comparing his sentence to that of paedophiles and rapists is that it is the only way they can distract from his crime. They need to get real. Thre is no defence in this day and age for what he did and nor should any sympathy be directed towards rapists and paedophiles. But they are doing the man no favours by having his name mentioned along with these other scum bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

he took mai jerrrbbbbb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There is no rationale behind it, it will not stop any person on person violence one iota, the man is not a danger to the public. 6 years is excessive, you'd get less for manslaughter as highlighted earlier in the thread.

Advertisement