Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lines of vehicles....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

It's automatic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

ottostreet wrote: »
    It's automatic...

Oh... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

BX 19 wrote: »
    Overtaking in a slower car just gives you far less opportunities.
    Maybe so, but if I've got a km long straight, and I 'line up' for the overtake, and it take me half a km to get past, with a Starlet engine screaming its little lungs out with no further acceleration possible, there isn't a whole lot the driver can do. I don't feel safe driving such miniscule engines around, and I hate pushing small engines hard because of the noise they make relative to the speed I'm going....so I tend to not bother.

It's all about driving technique.
    In a low-power car, what you have to do, is to keep big distance in front of vehicle to be overtaken, accelerate-up before on your left lane, even before there is space to overtake, and calculate it that you just get close enough to the car to be overtaken, when the space to overtake appears (gap in oncoming cars, or a stretch of straight empty road between the bends. Then you move to the right, with a speed difference already, so say car in front is doing 70km/h while you already do 100km/h and with such speed difference overtaking takes only a moment.
    This technique needs practice and very good sense of distance judging, but it's very good technique for overtaking.
    I learnt it at the beginning of my driving career, when I was driving fiat cinquecento 0.7cc 29BHP, which was doing 0-62mph in over 30 sec, but thanks to above technique I was able to overtake most of the cars on the road. And so I did ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's automatic...

Yea that would do it. I was about to say it would do 0-60mph in 11ish seconds but the figure for the auto is nearer 17 seconds. Mother of god.

A SDI Octavia pulling a horse box would be quicker :D

Just out of interest, the auto box cannot be helping economy, I used to get 45ish mpg from the manual starlet, how much worse is the auto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

It's doing between 35-40mpg I reckon. I'm using it as a cheap runaround for day to day stuff, and was tempted to keep it, but if I'm gonna drive something slow and ****, I may make it extremely economical, or just sell it and drive one of my proper cars. The price of petrol is just killing me though.

Cini0, you're a braver man than I. I'm very aware that's how to overtake in an underpowered car, but I just don't bother, I don't see the point in working hard and taking any risks in a ****box of a car. BTW, 29bhp? You poor yoke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

CiniO wrote: »
    It's all about driving technique.
    In a low-power car, what you have to do, is to keep big distance in front of vehicle to be overtaken, accelerate-up before on your left lane, even before there is space to overtake, and calculate it that you just get close enough to the car to be overtaken, when the space to overtake appears (gap in oncoming cars, or a stretch of straight empty road between the bends. Then you move to the right, with a speed difference already, so say car in front is doing 70km/h while you already do 100km/h and with such speed difference overtaking takes only a moment.
    This technique needs practice and very good sense of distance judging, but it's very good technique for overtaking.
    I learnt it at the beginning of my driving career, when I was driving fiat cinquecento 0.7cc 29BHP, which was doing 0-62mph in over 30 sec, but thanks to above technique I was able to overtake most of the cars on the road. And so I did ;)

Proper road theory, and presumably, proper use of gears.....both things that would be lost on most Irish motorists.

The N2 is great fun in the mornings, the over taking game is what makes an otherwise boring drive bearable.

I did Ardee to Dublin for 9 months in a 55hp Micra and never had any bother overtaking safely. You just have to read the road...which is another idea which would be unknown to most drivers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Sadly there's times when I have to drop her to third and get up to about 70mph to get past some convoys. Sure it sounds great (well it would if I was driving anything else but an I4) but it absolutely eats petrol to do it.

Worst of the lot though is when people won't leave gaps so you can skip through a convoy. Passed a women in a convoy the other day after she left a big gap in front of her and she nearly went spare. She had no intention to overtake anything infront of her so I have no notion what her problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Cini0, you're a braver man than I. I'm very aware that's how to overtake in an underpowered car, but I just don't bother, I don't see the point in working hard and taking any risks in a ****box of a car.
    If it's done right, there isn't any risks, the same as in any other proper-power car. ;)
    BTW, 29bhp? You poor yoke!
    I was only 17, and that was my father's car.
    He never enjoyed driving, and always treated car as a thing to get from A to B. So my mother always forced him to get a cheapest brand new car, as she was always afraid to buy anything secondhand. That's why we always had that kind of funny-underpowered-sh1tty-yokes. At the moment my dad has a corsa 1.0 ;P

But believe me or not - when I got my driving licence when I was 17, that 29 BHP in my dad's cinquecento had to work really very very hard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭creedp

Worst of the lot though is when people won't leave gaps so you can skip through a convoy. Passed a women in a convoy the other day after she left a big gap in front of her and she nearly went spare. She had no intention to overtake anything infront of her so I have no notion what her problem was.

You get that crap all the time .. its the same issue as I'm entitled to drive at 80kmph except in tihs case Im entitled to drive at 80kmph and have a certain space between me and the guy in front .. my comfort space .. and don't anybody dare invade my space. These guys lose the rag completely if you actually overtake them and sometime pursue you like demented gob****es .. Pain in the a*s. Same applies if you are overtaking and car coming against you starts flashing his lights and diving into the hard shoulder, except all of this calamity happens when you are back on your side of the road and that ejit is still a couple of hundred metres away in the hard shoulder flashing away. Its no wonder some people are afraid to overtake even when oncoming cars are up to 500m away given this dogs abuse. Only explanation is a lack of driving skill and an awareness of distance or else maybe more plausibly at time simply because "I'm special and you better believe it" ...

Advertisement