Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lines of vehicles....

• 11-03-2012 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭

Every time I'm on the road I encounter a fair few lines of vehicles, travelling in a mini convoy. Lines of 3 cars onwards, travelling in a bunch, usually 10 - 20 kmh under the limit, none passing the other on clear stretches of road....

On the N2 today, I met no cars on their own going the other way. Oh no. Just lines of cars bunched together. Tin hat was an old fella in a mini bombing along at what looked like 50kmh and a line of traffic behind for ages. Road infront of me clear, plenty of time to overtake before I even got in any way near! :rolleyes:

Why? What's the point of doing that? If a dog ran infront of the lead car there would be a serious pileup!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

It's the governments fault

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just passed a 4 car convoy traveling at 50kmph, The lead car the lady looked about 100 which explains why she was going so slow, the sheep behind her I can't find and excuse for but a fear of overtaking anything.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's a mental thing, people are comfortable behind someone else who is the one responsible for the speed of the 'convoy'. You see a lot of people who will speed up when the convoy breaks up to catch up to the next convoy and sit on the back of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Ah but the lead driver can be any age! It was just the irony of the old chap (probably enjoying a Sunday drive :)) with a useless shower of idiots without the sense to overtake, the line of cars was astonishing and rather saddening. Those poor sods in the artics trying to get somewhere :(

It's a horror driving to Dublin in the mornings. I used to love driving, I can't enjoy driving these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

dgt wrote: »
    Every time I'm on the road I encounter a fair few lines of vehicles, travelling in a mini convoy. Lines of 3 cars onwards, travelling in a bunch, usually 10 - 20 kmh under the limit, none passing the other on clear stretches of road....

On the N2 today, I met no cars on their own going the other way. Oh no. Just lines of cars bunched together. Tin hat was an old fella in a mini bombing along at what looked like 50kmh and a line of traffic behind for ages. Road infront of me clear, plenty of time to overtake before I even got in any way near! :rolleyes:

Why? What's the point of doing that? If a dog ran infront of the lead car there would be a serious pileup!

It's a disgrace:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

On the N2 today

Ya wanna watch out for that N2 it's a mad old road :p:p:p:p

Especially that big new bunny wabbit.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Ah but the lead driver can be any age! It was just the irony of the old chap (probably enjoying a Sunday drive :)) with a useless shower of idiots without the sense to overtake, the line of cars was astonishing and rather saddening. Those poor sods in the artics trying to get somewhere :(

It's a horror driving to Dublin in the mornings. I used to love driving, I can't enjoy driving these days :(

You could enjoy, but all depends what car you have. that Brava what you have is nice city cruising car, but for overtake fun need to have something with more grunt... but these days .... money rules all around ... old peeps, who may buy new GTR, will drive mini, and young lad, who dreams about GTR, drives Fiat ... like myself .... :pac:

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Ya wanna watch out for that N2 it's a mad old road :p:p:p:p

Especially that big new bunny wabbit.......

Thankfully I'm on it naff all, I remember the horrors of trying to get home in the evenings that way! :mad::mad::mad:

Same on most roads, even narrow country roads its beginning to happen :mad:

Mar4ix wrote: »
    You could enjoy, but all depends what car you have. that Brava what you have is nice city cruising car, but for overtake fun need to have something with more grunt... but these days .... money rules all around ... old peeps, who may buy new GTR, will drive mini, and young lad, who dreams about GTR, drives Fiat ... like myself .... :pac:

That van has grunt for what it is, especially when it had the 6 speed ;) taking on multiple cars at once is dangerous though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

Thankfully I'm on it naff all, I remember the horrors of trying to get home in the evenings that way! :mad::mad::mad:

Same on most roads, even narrow country roads its beginning to happen :mad:

It will never change either now that Slane is not going to be bypassed. Thankfully I don't have any issues with traffic on the way home, I would go mad if I had to sit in traffic all evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

That van has grunt for what it is, especially when it had the 6 speed ;) taking on multiple cars at once is dangerous though

in some better times i had a skyline, driving experience with it wont fade from my heart , on overtake light accelerating would shift you forward with unbelievable power, and old peeps stay behind , and you never think about them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I have another bit related observation.

While overtaking what people seem to do is to make sure they don't see any traffic approaching, while what they should do, is to see there isn't any traffic approaching.

Yes - it makes a difference "not to see a traffic" and "see no traffic"...

Example.
    I'm driving slowly up the hill, and there is a good queue of cars behind me.
    We encounter a straight stretch of road, and car just behind me moves right to see if he can overtake. Road can be seen for over 1km, and there is a car coming but it's about 1km away. So there is actually a space for like 10 cars to overtake. But no - car which moved right to see, saw that car coming (even it was so far) and didn't decide to overtake.
    What happens next - the car oncoming passed as, so as few other cars which were behind him. Then the same driver who tried overtaking earlier, moves right to see if he can overtake. There are no vehicles oncoming, so he decides to overtake, even though he can see only about 100m of the road, as there is a blind bend.

So in short two attempts to overtake. First one when he saw a 1km stretch and car coming 1km away - he didn't decide to overtake.
    Second attempt - where he could only see 100m of road in front of him, but no cars oncoming, and he decided to overtake.
    Pure nonsence IMHO.

The same people driving on narrow road.
    If they see a car oncoming, they slow down and move left, sometimes even stop to pass the other car way ahead. But the same people approaching the blind bend, they drive without even slowing down in the middle of the road, and then they are very surprised when f.e. a truck or bus appears on their way suddenly and they have to jam on the brakes.

CiniO wrote: »
    I have another bit related observation.

While overtaking what people seem to do is to make sure they don't see any traffic approaching, while what they should do, is to see there isn't any traffic approaching.

Yes - it makes a difference "not to see a traffic" and "see no traffic"...

Example.
    I'm driving slowly up the hill, and there is a good queue of cars behind me.
    We encounter a straight stretch of road, and car just behind me moves right to see if he can overtake. Road can be seen for over 1km, and there is a car coming but it's about 1km away. So there is actually a space for like 10 cars to overtake. But no - car which moved right to see, saw that car coming (even it was so far) and didn't decide to overtake.
    What happens next - the car oncoming passed as, so as few other cars which were behind him. Then the same driver who tried overtaking earlier, moves right to see if he can overtake. There are no vehicles oncoming, so he decides to overtake, even though he can see only about 100m of the road, as there is a blind bend.

So in short two attempts to overtake. First one when he saw a 1km stretch and car coming 1km away - he didn't decide to overtake.
    Second attempt - where he could only see 100m of road in front of him, but no cars oncoming, and he decided to overtake.
    Pure nonsence IMHO.

The same people driving on narrow road.
    If they see a car oncoming, they slow down and move left, sometimes even stop to pass the other car way ahead. But the same people approaching the blind bend, they drive without even slowing down in the middle of the road, and then they are very surprised when f.e. a truck or busappears on their way suddenly and they have to jam on the brakes.

Ah the weavers that most times never overtake but stay in the middle of the road anyway, thus having to cross the line to see past them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Personally I just drop the boot and leave them behind. N2 is handy for that. Plenty of opportunities.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Personally I just drop the boot and leave them behind. N2 is handy for that. Plenty of opportunities.

....untill you see either another line coming towards you or an unmarked car checking speed :mad:

But yes, that's the solution if one has the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

In these situations as soon as you overtake 4-5 cars the ones that were in front of you follow. Sheeps.

BX 19 wrote: »
    In these situations as soon as you overtake 4-5 cars the ones that were in front of you follow. Sheeps.

"If they can do it so can I" or "if there's a speed camera they'll get him not me"

Or they get thick and put on their full beams :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Ye sound like a load of auld ones complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Because of fuel prices, I have to drive an underpowered 1.3 car around. Overtaking is dangerous in such a small engined car, so I sit behind.

If I'm in the FTO or MR2, I'm gone past straight away, but I can't run those cars anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ottostreet wrote: »
    Overtaking is dangerous in such a small engined car, so I sit behind.

If overtaking is dangerous or not, is dependent on driver - not the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Why waste fuel overtaking when you can slipstream for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Where To wrote: »
    Yeah, it is like cycling in a group versus cycling on your own. There is less energy wasted ;).

Overtaking in a slower car just gives you far less opportunities.

Maybe so, but if I've got a km long straight, and I 'line up' for the overtake, and it take me half a km to get past, with a Starlet engine screaming its little lungs out with no further acceleration possible, there isn't a whole lot the driver can do. I don't feel safe driving such miniscule engines around, and I hate pushing small engines hard because of the noise they make relative to the speed I'm going....so I tend to not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kerten

I know what you mean but back roads with limited safe overtaking chance makes drivers less eager to try overtaking with their small engine cars.

I think backroads requires decent accelaration from a car if driver wants to progress in Ireland.

I moved from a 2.0 lt car to 1.0 lt one with automatic box and my commute is mainly backroads. I don't even try to overtake with this car anymore. Most of the time it is just risky to try overtaking with this car. I just hate it :mad:

Because of fuel prices, I have to drive an underpowered 1.3 car around. Overtaking is dangerous in such a small engined car, so I sit behind.

If I'm in the FTO or MR2, I'm gone past straight away, but I can't run those cars anymore.
    Where To wrote: »

But why not keep in a bit to let others past or at least observe the 2 second rule and leave some space for people who do overtake?

If the 899cc car I drive occasionally can charge past most lines of cars when the road permits I'm sure a 1.3 is anything but underpowered by comparison ;)

I know fuel prices are abysmal but has manners on the road gone that way too? :(

I don't stay close to the car in front, specifically so I can be overtaken easily. And I allow those who come up behind me, clearly able to go quicker past easily. Simply because I'm not a retard. Don't judge me because I drive a Starlet around!

I don't stay close to the car in front, specifically so I can be overtaken easily. And I allow those who come up behind me, clearly able to go quicker past easily. Simply because I'm not a retard. Don't judge me because I drive a Starlet around!

This is what I'm getting at, most road users haven't the common sense to do that! They tailgate each other in a miserable snake manner, leaving no room to slot in if you overtook and had to pull in and won't let you in anyway, arseholes! :mad:

I take my hat off to you sir, someone switched on behind the wheel :)

Maybe so, but if I've got a km long straight, and I 'line up' for the overtake, and it take me half a km to get past, with a Starlet engine screaming its little lungs out with no further acceleration possible, there isn't a whole lot the driver can do. I don't feel safe driving such miniscule engines around, and I hate pushing small engines hard because of the noise they make relative to the speed I'm going....so I tend to not bother.

That 1.3 starlet is one of the more powerful small cars about in that era. A good bit quicker then the bog standard Corsa/106/Micras of a similar age.

I never had too many problems overtaking in a starlet, they were nippy enough.

• Advertisement

BX 19 wrote: »
    That 1.3 starlet is one of the more powerful small cars about in that era. A good bit quicker then the bog standard Corsa/106/Micras of a similar age.

I never had too many problems overtaking in a starlet, they were nippy enough.

You beat me to it, they're nippy enough from what I see on the roads. Should be no problems...

Advertisement