Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants and tuition fees

Options
  • 06-03-2012 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Im a bit confused about grants and tuition fees when it comes to PLC. i dropped out of UCC recently and so must pay half tuition fees next year. How does this work with PLC? Also is the same grant? Lets say i do 1 year in a PLC and 4 in uni do i not get a grant the final year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RC92

?? No one has any info ?

Extremely Helpful guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

RC92 wrote: »
    Extremely Helpful guys.

With that attitude, it's tempting not to reply.

However, if you were to do a PLC in a VEC centre, the govt fee is only E200 + whatever the college charges. If you have a medical card or are in receipt of a grant, you are exempt from the E200. You only get the grant once for each year of a course as long as you are progressing through the national framework of qualifications. As you received a grant for your 1st year in university, you will not be entitled to a grant for doing a PLC as you are not progressing.

Apologies, i was just frustrated at the lack of responses. Thank you for replying. I recieved 1/3 of the grant a was to get last year then dropped out, am i not entitled to the remaining 2/3? I got it stopped officially too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

RC92 wrote: »
    Apologies, i was just frustrated at the lack of responses. Thank you for replying. I recieved 1/3 of the grant a was to get last year then dropped out, am i not entitled to the remaining 2/3? I got it stopped officially too.

That I don't know. The only ones who will be able to answer that for certain is the grant awarding authority, but I'd imagine that they will see you doing a lower (level 5) course as an obstacle to paying out the remainder of a grant awarded for a higher level. If they did award it, they might then refuse to give you a grant until you had progressed from 1st year university level.

Your best bet is to get onto the county council/VEC and ask them directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

All grants will now be handled by a central agency as a new ONLINE ONLY grant applications system is being introduced for 2012. All new applications will be made online to a single awarding authority, Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) through www.studentfinance.ie.

They are the best people to contact.

Advertisement