Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light pollution from street lights.

Options
  • 09-03-2012 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen a number of cases where councils across Ireland have erected a metal plate to block out light from street lights, where a resident has cited light pollution as a problem.

I contacted my local council on this matter, who forwarded my request onto the relevant engineers who manage the street lights (Airtricity). The engineer stated that the bulbs in question were different, and that the ones in my estate do not cause light pollution. Now obviously, that is entirely subjective - but in my case - I see the lights as producing light pollution.

Where do I stand legally to have the light deflected from my home? One of the previous arguments I read from a resident who was in a similar situation, was that the council was legally obliged to deflect any such light where requested. I've no official documentation to confirm this, but the council in question in that case were the ones who stated that the resident had the legal right to do so - So I was wondering if anyone knew anything further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

As far as I know , in Ireland there are only campaigns rather than any legal route at the moment.I think the campaigns argue with regard to wildlife protection,astronomy as hobby etc...

I've worked as an electrician and occasionally have adjusted fittings and changed the type of lamps used when local residents to installations have asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yes - my reasons for wanting it deflecting are for astronomy. It makes a sizeable portion of the sky unusable.. Usually, the most important portions. The lights in question outside my house are high-pressure sodium 70w - I wonder does the council have the ability to dim the lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I had a problem like that with Offaly County Council many years ago. All attempts to have it rectified were a bit like talking to a wall.

I was really on the verge of implementing my own solution (see below) when, fortunately for all I suppose, I was offered a post abroad and left.

165.jpg

High pressure sodium 70 watt is a standard street light, dimming isn't an option, reducing the actual lamp might involve changing the fitting itself....I think.

Airtricity are difficult to deal with,I know that from experience.

Other than speaking to the Airtricity engineer yourself ,explaining what your problem .I know you can get opaque covers and stick on diffusers.

I'm in contact with the engineer through e-mail, awaiting a reply. I think I'll ask for a phone number so I can have a more personal conversation with him and plead my case.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    I have seen a number of cases where councils across Ireland have erected a metal plate to block out light from street lights, where a resident has cited light pollution as a problem.

I contacted my local council on this matter, who forwarded my request onto the relevant engineers who manage the street lights (Airtricity). The engineer stated that the bulbs in question were different, and that the ones in my estate do not cause light pollution. Now obviously, that is entirely subjective - but in my case - I see the lights as producing light pollution.

Where do I stand legally to have the light deflected from my home? One of the previous arguments I read from a resident who was in a similar situation, was that the council was legally obliged to deflect any such light where requested. I've no official documentation to confirm this, but the council in question in that case were the ones who stated that the resident had the legal right to do so - So I was wondering if anyone knew anything further?

Did you have a look at the Irish Astrophotography site....?

Yeah, I posted on there - that is where I saw the demos of people who have had the deflectors fitted to the lights. Here's an example of one..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51993400@N08/4779584321/sizes/l/

Then of course, there is always this route... But I'd rather sort it legally. :)

Woohoo, airtricity engineer called me and he's going to try resolve it for me :) Genuinely nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

It doesn't cover Ireland, but you might find the UK Light Pollution maps on this site interesting.

Some of the data is even available for download in .kml format, for use in Google Earth:
    http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/uk.kmz

• Advertisement

Cheers but I think I have it resolved :)

dlofnep wrote: »
    Woohoo, airtricity engineer called me and he's going to try resolve it for me :) Genuinely nice guy.

well done, maybe he's a Boards airtricity engineer.

Not sure - but he's a top fella!

Advertisement