Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Exam

• 11-11-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

This came as a surprise to me. SEAI are looking to re-examine all current BER assessors. Anybody know any more details about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bairds bhoys

I received the e-mail yesterday too! I dont recall anything about having to re-sit an exam every 2 years. I got out my CBER examination result sheet and nothing is mentioned about it being valid for 2 years.
    Also it is more than 2 years since I completed the exam?
    Attached below is part of the E-Mail

This email is system generated. It provides you with an exam eligibility number and sets out the process required to book your examination. Individuals who have not yet registered as BER Assessors are required to pass the relevant BER exam before Registration can be completed. Registered BER assessors are required to pass the appropriate BER examination every two years. (in accordance with Regulation 12 of S.I.666 of 2006 and section 4 of the Code of Practice January 2011, Competence and Diligence of BER Assessors):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

let me guess, you have to pay for the privilege aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Has anyone tried booking exam? I had a date end of March written on that e-mail notification i got from SEAI yet i cant book a domestic BER exam in that month anywhere in Waterford or Kilkenny. In fact, i cant book it for march, april, may, june....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

disaster, any more info on this would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Its a bit harder than the last one, but you'll have the manual beside you and plenty of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Enrate wrote: »
    Its a bit harder than the last one, but you'll have the manual beside you and plenty of time.

How much is a bit?? I have mine tomorrow and havn't done an ounce of study for it, too busy doing my masters!! At least I can still read!!!:D

The exam is tricker than the last time, I got two questions about solar PV, there aint many houses around here with it!! and lots of questions with gas boilers, we use oil in the west!!Theres a specimen paper in the Assessor section of the SEAI website, have a look at it before you go, I skimmed over it about 30mins before my exam today.

No6 wrote: »
    The exam is tricker than the last time, I got two questions about solar PV, there aint many houses around here with it!! and lots of questions with gas boilers, we use oil in the west!!Theres a specimen paper in the Assessor section of the SEAI website, have a look at it before you go, I skimmed over it about 30mins before my exam today.

had a look at the specimen paper, the questions i think are ridiculous, why would i remember individual u-values when they are there in the system for me when i need to look them up yet they are asked in the questions. I would have thought practical questions on doing assessments would be the way to go...eg pictures of things you will see and questions on the picture...is this a programmable heating control, should this porch be included in floor area....stuff like that.

Max Powers wrote: »
    had a look at the specimen paper, the questions i think are ridiculous, why would i remember individual u-values when they are there in the system for me when i need to look them up yet they are asked in the questions. I would have thought practical questions on doing assessments would be the way to go...eg pictures of things you will see and questions on the picture...is this a programmable heating control, should this porch be included in floor area....stuff like that.

That would never work, because it would make sense, and it would actually help you!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

I posted this elsewhere - probably in the wrong place - posted again here

Ber exam
    G'day - I am new to boards - I found comments on the DBER exam - some posts back and have a query.
    I have been an Assessor for serval years and need to log on to do the periodic DBER exam - I did it a couple of years ago with no real difficulty and wonder what it is like this time round ?
    Somewhere on previous posts there was a mentioned of a specimen question paper on the Assessor Section of the SEAI web site.
    My question is -is the sample DBER specimen paper refered to -the same for the initial exam registration as well as the periodic exam which registered assessors are required to undertake - I assume it is ?
    thanks for any comments in advance

• Advertisement

descol wrote: »
    I posted this elsewhere - probably in the wrong place - posted again here

Ber exam
    G'day - I am new to boards - I found comments on the DBER exam - some posts back and have a query.
    I have been an Assessor for serval years and need to log on to do the periodic DBER exam - I did it a couple of years ago with no real difficulty and wonder what it is like this time round ?
    Somewhere on previous posts there was a mentioned of a specimen question paper on the Assessor Section of the SEAI web site.
    My question is -is the sample DBER specimen paper refered to -the same for the initial exam registration as well as the periodic exam which registered assessors are required to undertake - I assume it is ?
    thanks for any comments in advance

The specimen paper is different from the one they published years ago. Also, logging into and getting an appointment is a complete mess, (in Waterford and the SE anyway).

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i cannot locate my info emails. when does this exam have to be done by?

I'm not sure Syd, it probably depends on when you did it last!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i cannot locate my info emails. when does this exam have to be done by?

31st of march, you also need a tax clearence certificate by that date also now.

No6 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Syd, it probably depends on when you did it last!!

If you did it in that last two years you are exempt, I believe.

G' day
    Could any Assessor who has done the required periodic exam this year let me know if (a) candidates are allowed hard copy notes and hard copy DEAP manual and (b) if the DEAP programme is available on the computer allocated to the candidate ?
    thanks
    Descol

descol wrote: »
    G' day
    Could any Assessor who has done the required periodic exam this year let me know if (a) candidates are allowed hard copy notes and hard copy DEAP manual and (b) if the DEAP programme is available on the computer allocated to the candidate ?
    thanks
    Descol
    The answer to both questions is No. All you can bring in, is a non-scientific calculator.

tnks Enrate
    Life's a bitch with SEAI wonder wheter its worth it ?

Sorry, can't answer that one; Its a difficult question :(

Descol, you are given a copy of the DEAP Manual, Part L & the EPBD, you cannot bring your own. Do bring a calculator you will need it.

• Advertisement

tnks No6 - I am about to book it

G'day
    Re BER exam
    I am just home after having done the BER exam - I failed - so, a few pointers.

There are 5 sections - you need a min of 50% in each to pass - I got an average iof 72% in each of 4 sections, however, I only got 44.4% in the last section.

The REASON i messed up on the last section was I left too lttle time to got back over marked questions - those - which I needed more time /or was a little unsure about - I had marked up about 11 questions to leave until the end - and got through most of them when the screen warned me of 15mins left - I carried on and then without further warning the system shut done wn leaving me with 4 unaswered / questions in the last section.

So, be careful - the system won't warn you that you have 5 mins left etc.

Descol

Descol, how did you find the questions?

Is there much emphasis put onto things which appear in the technical bulletins?

or is it much the same as the first exam of a few years ago?

They are badly written to try to catch you out if you ask me!! lots of questions about solar pv as if anyone is using it and gas boilers. you dont get copies of the tech bulitens syd so it's all in the basic manual

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Descol, how did you find the questions?

Is there much emphasis put onto things which appear in the technical bulletins?

or is it much the same as the first exam of a few years ago?

Syd,
    I didn't find the questions difficult - many were straightforward - with answers available within the manuals etc - some required a little more time than others - on some you would need to reread the question a couple of times in order to avoid any tricks - the problem I had - as I said, was I simply ran out of time - When I did the exam a couple of years ago - I was finished in good time to review etc - this time round I needed the full two hours and could have done with an extra 5 or 10 mns or at least be warned on the last 5mins.

A friend said to me last night - no worries - you can do it again - sure I can and he said its only about the cost of 1 BER survey -123 euro - I replied, well, that may be so but for me it's a week's wages - If the exam was not farmed out to a contractor and the Assessor was judged on knowledge etc rather than on speed - with the penalty being more dosh for the Contractor then I reckon I would have saved myself the extra cost -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fintan Lehane

Does anyone know the answers to these questions that came up

1 metre square of solar panel gives x % of water heating - is it 0%, 20%, 55% or 90%

Thermal bridging in roof - how many bridges in roof - is it 0,1,2 or 3

Thanks

1 metre square of solar panel gives x % of water heating - is it 0%, 20%, 55% or 90%

Thanks

I think 1m2 of solar panel provides 50% of one persons water

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks
    they're some arbitrary questions. the seai are really taking the proverbial

BryanF wrote: »
    they're some arbitrary questions. the seai are really taking the proverbial

Fintan
    My understnading is that a typical houshold of say 4 persons requires 50 litres each of hot water per day = 200 litres (not incl space heating)
    To achieve 200 litres, I think you would need approx. 5 sqm solar collector - so, I guess that means 1 sqm will give approx 40 litres - which equates to 25% of the requirement for a 4 person household -
    ie. if the question relates to household needs and not the individual's need ?

With regard to thermal bridging - I don't understand the question - can anyone elighten me ?????

• Advertisement

fintan, were those questions related to tables or pictures...

because if not, then jesus christ!!! they are so open ended you could drive a bus through them.

thermal bridging in roof?? closed couple? dormer? cut? truss?
    if its one of my roofs theres no thermal bridges :D;)

my gut reaction, assuming flat roof insulation, is that:
    an attic hatch is a thermal bridge
    every chimney is a thermal bridge

so..... the answer could be 0, 1, 2 or 3 LOL

on the solar panels.... i just did a prov BER yesterday where 3 m2 of tube collectors provided 44% solar fraction (thats 14%)... so how does that match up with the options?? :rolleyes:

my first reaction was to say 20%

Advertisement