Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Are they that difficult to use? Watching a couple of demos and it doesn't seem too hard, however I have heard you get quite badly cut with your first go.
    You need to be fairly cautious when you start, mostly while you adjust your technique, but there's really nothing to it.
    As for blades, Do you have to get them online most of the time or are the widely available in the likes of Boots ... etc.
    You can get them in Tesco and most pharmacists. They're going to be cheaper to buy in bulk online, though.
    Is there a huge difference in price between blades for a 3-blade razor (mac 3) and blades for SRs. Do you get less use out of SR blades?
    Buying in bulk, you can get DE blades for as little as 10c each. A blade generally does me a week or so; others will get more or less use out of theirs. At that rate, I'll be spending €5 a year on blades - not too shabby. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Thank you oscar! I will purchasing my first safety razor very soon. Think I might go for this...

http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

with the merkur 34c. I guess a welcome to the club is in order! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

party-cat-party-time.jpg

I think for that picture to be appropriate the cat needs to have no whiskers! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I think for that picture to be appropriate the cat needs to have no whiskers! :p

It's not a great look tbh...

250px-2_week-old_Female_Sphynx_(Suki).jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭luis suarez

I was after reading this thread for a while and finally decided to ditch my mach 3 and went for the merkur progress starter kit from shaving.ie :D I got it in the post today and just tried it out.I was dying of a hangover so nervous not to cut my throat :D I already love it i couldn't believe how good the hot steel felt when shaving :o I just want to thank the people in this forum for convincing me to try it.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was after reading this thread for a while and finally decided to ditch my mach 3 and went for the merkur progress starter kit from shaving.ie :D I got it in the post today and just tried it out.I was dying of a hangover so nervous not to cut my throat :D I already love it i couldn't believe how good the hot steel felt when shaving :o I just want to thank the people in this forum for convincing me to try it.

glad you're liking it. I also have the Progress (long handle). It's a solid yoke but I find it can be quite aggressive at the 4 & 5 setting..or maybe it's just me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone find that using a straight razor to shave off multiple week's worth of facial fuzz is rather scratchy?

I haven't bothered shaving since end of October and now I don't feel like it — always get cuts/rash if I've left it that long.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dunno about a straight razor, but I shaved off last year's Movember effort with a DE razor, almost effortlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Could be possible that your straight razor needs a honing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Or that I check my post for spelling errors :rolleyes:

I meant DE razor (would be too scared to go near a straight-edge!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Or that I check my post for spelling errors :rolleyes:

I meant DE razor (would be too scared to go near a straight-edge!).

Trim it short with a hair clippers then use an open comb DE with a fresh and sharp blade. I find the open comb razors best for more than a couple of days growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Got some Taylor's Sandalwood.
    Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭luis suarez

It's taking me a while to get used to shaving with a safety razor since getting it now :( I have no problem shaving my face it's when it comes to the neck i get a good few nicks :eek: It feel like the razor is hoping along my neck instead of gliding and i always have a good lather :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's taking me a while to get used to shaving with a safety razor since getting it now :( I have no problem shaving my face it's when it comes to the neck i get a good few nicks :eek: It feel like the razor is hoping along my neck instead of gliding and i always have a good lather :confused:

It may be that you're trying to shave too large an area in one go. You might get better results if you shave your neck in smaller sections, instead of long strokes.

It was one of the biggest changes I had to make to my technique when I switched over. I can shave from my ear to the middle of my neck in one pass with a Gillette Fusion. I have to do the same area in 3 sections with my Merkur.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Some blade help please :) I bought the 2 of a kind pack a while ago and was liking the shark blades but its only really the first shave that i get a nice shave with them. The Gillette packs i got just destroyed my face and neck even though they gave a nice close shave. Any recommendations?? The rest in the pack didnt really give me a close shave

What blades were in the sample pack?

Gillette 7 oclock super stainless, Gillette 7 oclock Sharpedge, Bolzano superinox, Shark, Astra blue and green and bic Chrome Platinum.. Maybe it wasnt the 2 of a kind pack after all lol

I was hoping you would have similar tatse is blades as I do/did but you seem to be nearly the opposite so I'll recommend you a blade I thought was rubbish and see if it works for you. Elios Inoxidable.

You could go into Tesco and pick up a pack of Wilkinson Sword DE blades. Tesco have their own brand too.

Blade preference is pretty much personal opinion so you may just have to look for another sampler pack from somewhere. Or go to shaving.ie and pick up a few packs that weren't in the sampler.

Try out the Croma blades - I always thought they were a good blade.

• Advertisement

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I was hoping you would have similar tatse is blades as I do/did but you seem to be nearly the opposite so I'll recommend you a blade I thought was rubbish and see if it works for you. Elios Inoxidable.

You could go into Tesco and pick up a pack of Wilkinson Sword DE blades. Tesco have their own brand too.

Blade preference is pretty much personal opinion so you may just have to look for another sampler pack from somewhere. Or go to shaving.ie and pick up a few packs that weren't in the sampler.

Try out the Croma blades - I always thought they were a good blade.

Yeah probably best to try a few more.. Thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Just started reading this thread yesterday. Many hours, and 2782 posts later I've finally reached the end.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's become slightly obsessed/addicted to shaving:eek:

Only bought my first cheapo starter pack two months ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DM0X04

51ephXhJ9vL._SS500_.jpg

Then got a Parker 99R

41gkCe%2BTjbL._AA300_.jpg

TOBS sandalwood

41fdUmIyy8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And then some proraso

419sMLHRckL._SS500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

That looks like a nice razor, and you can't do better than TOBS or Proraso. What blades are you using now?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Michael G wrote: »
    That looks like a nice razor, and you can't do better than TOBS or Proraso. What blades are you using now?

Bought a box of 100 Derbys before I even had my first shave. Happy enough with them, and not planning on trying any others for a while yet.

Bought a box of 100 Derbys before I even had my first shave. Happy enough with them, and not planning on trying any others for a while yet.
    Why would you, if they work for you. Some people have to try several before they find one that works. I found Tesco or ASDA (both of which are unbranded Personna, I believe) to be OK, but now I use Feathers all the time. Great blade though after three two-pass shaves I find they start to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some help. I have nearly searched everywhere for a safety razor in Waterford. Does anyone know where sells them? Preferably a gift set if possible. I need it for Christmas so online isn't really an option.
    Thanks in advance.

Online is probably an option still if you go to shaving.ie. Normally next-day delivery if he has the item in stock, which would most likely mean Wednesday at this stage. Probably best to check that normal delivery times are guaranteed this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone own the new 2011 Mühle R41?, the one with the 'cattle grill' thing going on, with the open comb?

There's blood on the 3rd pass!

I'm mulling it over. Might take the plunge at some point.

I don't post often any more, the simple reason being that absolutely nothing has changed in my set up. Still very much this:

muhler106floidmonsavon.jpg

(Mühle R106 on a Parker razor handle)

Amalgam, I hate you and your ability to stick with one set up ;)

Had I had that ability I would have saved so much money...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tell me more about that aftershave. I've been using the Speick after-shave lotion for the last few months, but I'm tempted to try new things if I get decent recommendations. :)

Advertisement