Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gillo wrote: »
    Lucky you said sorry, just saved yourself a "clode shave" with the mods.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

Pity your spelling isn't up to the standard of your razor sharp wit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Gillo wrote: »
    Lucky you said sorry, just saved yourself a "clode shave" with the mods.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

2/10 - Improvement needed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Today I reckon I had the best shave I've ever had after about 12 years shaving.

I've been using DE razors for about 5 or 6 years, steadily getting better razors and experimenting a lot. This week I got an order from shaving.ie http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74239317&postcount=876 and decided to go all out.

This was the routine.

1. Nice, hot shower, enough so my face got a good blast of hot water.

2. Stepped out and applied a little of the Proraso pre-shave onto a damp face.

3. Gave this a minute or two to absorb while I soaked my Muhle badger brush and bowl of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap in warm water.

4. Emptied water out of the bowl, squeezed and shook excess water from brush. Swirled brush in bowl and lathered it nicely on face.

5. Took my Merkur Futur with a Derby blade and did my normal shave.

6. Rinsed face using hot water, followed by cold.

7. Gave a quick rub around with an Alum block. Gave this a minute and rinsed off again with cold water. My face was okay but neck stung a little, must improve shaving there in future.

8. Patted face a few times with a towel to dry it slightly, leaving it damp not wet.

9. Applied a few drop of Trumpers skin food into my hand and massaged it onto my face.

Seriously impressed by it, it felt so smooth and luxurious. I think the Proraso was brilliant, really improved the shave itself and the Trumpers was gorgeous too. Reckon this will be my routine of choice for quite a while! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

nice one Super Sonic, out of interest, how many passes did you do?
    I'm itching to move my wish list into my shopping basket on shaving.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I bought some Gillette Platinums last week and got to try them out at the weekend. Very nice blade, extremely smooth shave, no cuts or tugs. Very impressed.

I've yet to compare them to the Gillette 7 O'Clocks or the Feather Blades. But in comparison to the Astra blades and Derby DE, they're excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Picked up some Taylors of Old Bond street gift set (shaving cream and shampoo) in TK Maxx for €7 today, also bought some Knayton Hill shaving soap for €4 (anyone ever try this stuff?). Both items in the clearence section and marked down.

Has anyone any experience with M&S Woodspice shaving cream?

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Picked up some Taylors of Old Bond street gift set (shaving cream and shampoo) in TK Maxx for €7 today, also bought some Knayton Hill shaving soap for €4 (anyone ever try this stuff?). Both items in the clearence section and marked down.

Has anyone any experience with M&S Woodspice shaving cream?

wow, didn't realise they (TK Maxx) stocked such cool products, I must pop in some time.
    I've never tried the M&S Products..must try them too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

How do you dispose of the blades once they are no good anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

CyberJuice wrote: »
    How do you dispose of the blades once they are no good anymore?

Numerous options, some blades come in plastic containers where you can slide the used blades back in when finished.

I picked up a large tin money box in the pound shop. Some people do a DIY job using a cheap tin of soup, cut a slit in the top and a small hole in the bottom and drain out the contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Just had my first DE shave after getting starter kit on shaving.ie. i'm impressed with the results but i need to get myself some lotion for after. just a question, how many shaves will a blade do? are the blades turned around and then upside down before i throw them away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I usually get three shaves from a blade with two passes on each shave. My beard growth is probably about average; you will find out for yourself what suits you. If the razor seems to drag a bit, it is time for a new blade.

No need to do anything about changing the blade around; just try and use both edges.

houseplant wrote: »
    Just had my first DE shave after getting starter kit on shaving.ie. i'm impressed with the results but i need to get myself some lotion for after. just a question, how many shaves will a blade do? are the blades turned around and then upside down before i throw them away?

like blades, we are all different but I generally will replace a blade after three outings. If I find I'm getting too many nicks during a shave I may even dump the blade mid-shave and replace with a fresh one.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

100 ASTRA Superior Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades at Amazon

41YrwMtHJUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    half price at £7.99 and free delivery to Ireland if you spend 25 or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Nice find Settings, looks like they have a good selection of the Turkish made shaving gear including Arko soap sticks, Jaguar brushes and Derby blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanks for posting that settings, ordered 3 packs for £24 delivered. Should last me a long long long time. In you face shavepocalypse! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Have you got enough soaps and creams to last that long too?

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Have you got enough soaps and creams to last that long too?

Nope, haven't stocked up on any soaps or creams yet. I've tried a few blades since starting DE shaving last Christmas and like the Astra blades the best so I'm happy to buy a stock of them.

Not sure yet on the soaps\creams. I like the white Proraso but will be ordering a Mitchell's Wool Fat soap soon to try it out as it gets good reviews. If I like that I'll maybe order a few so that will keep me going for a while.

Anyone got any views on the Mitchell's ?

The shavepocalypse still has an advantage on you then ;)

I really like MWF. It has a very simple, clean soapy smell. It can be tricky to lather at first but once you figure it out it's excellent.

Also if you don't use it for a while it will crack and shrink in whatever you keep it in. It's normal and will fix itself once you start using it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I haven't tried MWF, but if it is based on wool fat, I am aware that some people have a sensitivity to lanolin (wool fat), so caution might be advised.

On the other hand, everyone seems to rave about it. So take what I said with a grain of salt.

CyberJuice wrote: »
    regarding that wilkinson sword classic de razor,ive been using this and i have constantly got a red mark on my upper lip,looks like ive got a moustache,and ive got a red mark on the underneath of my chin,i can assume its coming from the blade,anyone any ideas how i can prevent this?? if i had to take a guess id say its coz there is no weight in the head so im pressing down too much pressure on it,but i dont know if i am or not

What sort of passes are you doing on the moustache area?

Having never shaved the moustache area with a DE or straight I can only offer advice I've heard/seen written. Don't go against the grain on the moustache area. Just do an across the grain pass instead and see if that helps. I've heard that against the grain passses on the upper lip can lead to a fair bit of irritation.

If you already don't do an against the grain pass, you'll have to wait for someone with a hairless lip to offer better advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Pressing too hard I'd say. Shouldn't be any irritation...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

hitemfrank wrote: »
    What sort of passes are you doing on the moustache area?

Having never shaved the moustache area with a DE or straight I can only offer advice I've heard/seen written. Don't go against the grain on the moustache area. Just do an across the grain pass instead and see if that helps. I've heard that against the grain passses on the upper lip can lead to a fair bit of irritation.

If you already don't do an against the grain pass, you'll have to wait for someone with a hairless lip to offer better advice.

i mostly just go with the grain and across the grain, i have tried going against the grain but the blade kinda drags a bit,mayb thats the problem

what about under my jaw bone where i also have the same red strap mark under there,looks like ive bene i nworld war 2 wearing one of them army helmets for prolonged periods of time :(

i guess mayb i shouldnt go against the grain on the area either

So, if you are not doing an ATG pass on the moustache area it could be too much pressure.

I would suggest not going against the grain for now under the chin and see if the mark goes away. If it does ATG is the problem. If not there is some other issue, possibly pressure.

The best way to find out what's causing it is stop doing one thing at a time and see if you can narrow down the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

So... I have decided that when I get a bit of bob to spare that I am going to trade in my mac 3 for a safety razor.
    From what I have read around the place, the Merkur Progress is a good place to start?
    Completely new to the idea of 1 lone blade :D. I'm willing to give it a go.

EDIT: I was looking on shaving.ie and have come across The Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit. With that you can choose between 3 razors. The Merkur 1904, R89 or 34c. Which one is better razor?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I'm not too experienced, so take my musings with a pinch of salt, but I got the impression from forums, (this one and others), that the Merkur Progress was probably a great razor, but was not generally recommended for beginners.

The reason given for this opinion was that the beginner should concentrate on technique and forget about adjustments. The Merkur 1904 is a fine razor and not too expensive, but I can't speak to the others as I haven't used them.

Sorry I can't assist more, but there are plenty of more helpful and more knowledgeable members on here who I'm sure will give a more expert and useful opinion.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    So... I have decided that when I get a bit of bob to spare that I am going to trade in my mac 3 for a safety razor.
    From what I have read around the place, the Merkur Progress is a good place to start?
    Completely new to the idea of 1 lone blade :D. I'm willing to give it a go.

EDIT: I was looking on shaving.ie and have come across The Basic Essentials Safety Razor Starter Kit. With that you can choose between 3 razors. The Merkur 1904, R89 or 34c. Which one is better razor?

I got the 34c as my first Safety Razor and can't complain. It's still in perfect condition after a years use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Also 34c, great razor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have a 33c. Would anyone be able to tell me the differences between it and the 34c?

The main difference between the 33C and 34C is the weight. The 34C is the heavier of the two.

The handles have a different look to them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Ok so a couple of more questions about safety razors in general...

Are they that difficult to use? Watching a couple of demos and it doesn't seem too hard, however I have heard you get quite badly cut with your first go.

As for blades, Do you have to get them online most of the time or are the widely available in the likes of Boots ... etc.

Is there a huge difference in price between blades for a 3-blade razor (mac 3) and blades for SRs. Do you get less use out of SR blades?

Sorry about these noobish questions but I'm still on the fence. :o

Thanks for the help so far.

Advertisement