Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lavatube

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Gah...I'm based in Waterford...

which batteries and charger would i need for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

trustfire tr-001 is a good charger, best batteries for it would probably be aw imr 18650's

make sure they're genuine aw imr's though, they have the little nipple on top rather than being a flat top battery. flashaholics.co.uk have them for about 10 sterling each, shipping isn't too bad. and the charger isn't terribly expensive either

course then you have to get cartomisers suitable for high voltage vaping too. not neccesarily expensive, but it's another outside of ireland shipping cost. it's 4.50 USD for a pack of 5 from healthcabin.net though, so if you pick up 20-30 of them you'll end up paying a bit up front but they'll work out quite cheap.

if I get my deposit back from my last apartment next week I'm going to order 10+ boxes of them, 45 dollars so around 30-35 euro for 50 cartomisers.. even if I toss them at the first sign of quality loss.. i'll still get through max 2 a week i'd say so. 40-50 quid incl shipping for about 25+ weeks vaping.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'll have to put some money on the card next week and see what i can order online.

well if you do plan on getting the lavatube and want to order some boge 3ohm's, maybe we can go in on an order from healthcabin
    shipping took 8 days for me with express delivery last time, and between 2 people it'd work out even cheaper

something to consider anyway, wont know if i'll actually be able to make the order until next week anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Got my mod today.
    Voltage with the atty screwed off and loaded;

th_DSC_0005.jpg

th_DSC_0006.jpg
    No drop at all.

Apparently with a set of charged batteries you vape for a few days and it's not a big as I thought it would be either.

• Advertisement

looks nice
    doesnt look like it would fit two 18650's, unless you have huge hands :)

Here you go;

th_DSC_0015.jpg
    th_DSC_0013.jpg

I must have big hands!

either that or I just suck at perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

mrplop wrote: »
    Got my mod today.
    Voltage with the atty screwed off and loaded;

th_DSC_0005.jpg

th_DSC_0006.jpg
    No drop at all.

Apparently with a set of charged batteries you vape for a few days and it's not a big as I thought it would be either.

That's you well sorted in the VV department and long battery life.
    Looks the business, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Here you go;

th_DSC_0015.jpg
    th_DSC_0013.jpg

I must have big hands!
    Am i stupid or this batteries connected in series ( positive to negative ) ? that mean doubling the voltage while maintaining the same capacity rating..... ( 8.4v 1600 mah ) If so , they using simple VRM -- ONLY can do downboost , not regulated probably.....
    I can be wrong about series -- can't see picture clearly -- could be in parallel ( positive to positive , negative to negative ) just as well -- doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage (3.7v, 3200 mah)

Voltage with the atty screwed off and loaded;No drop at all.
    Did u check it with multimeter ? If they in series -- they will drop voltage as soon as batteries drains.....And it is very important to make sure both stacking batteries charged at same level ....

• Advertisement

alec76 wrote: »
    Am i stupid or this batteries connected in series ( positive to negative ) ? that mean doubling the voltage while maintaining the same capacity rating..... ( 8.4v 1600 mah ) If so , they using simple VRM -- ONLY can do downboost , not regulated probably.....
    I can be wrong about series -- can't see picture clearly -- could be in parallel ( positive to positive , negative to negative ) just as well -- doubling the capacity (amp hours) of the battery while maintaining the voltage (3.7v, 3200 mah)

Did u check it with multimeter ? If they in series -- they will drop voltage as soon as batteries drains.....And it is very important to make sure both stacking batteries charged at same level ....

He made two versions 18650.
    One is boost and the other is regulated.

http://ukvapers.com/topic/14056-pimped-vv-papa-mods-on-there-way/

Think i read before they are in series, stand to be corrected on that, maybe one is and the other is'nt :confused:

Have'nt a clue about mods tbh, think i will stick to eGo batteries !

i've got it now .... this one in series papa -r, what he calls regulated ....low capacity, double voltage at the start (8.4)....
    another one PAPA -B -- in parallel, double capacity can do UPBOOST ....
    not sure if it is better than lavatube electronic wise ...

i've got it now .... this one in series papa -r, what he calls regulated ....low capacity, double voltage at the start (8.4)....
    another one PAPA -B -- in parallel, double capacity can do UPBOOST ....
    not sure if it is better than lavatube electronic wise ...

What is this boost?

Regulated device tries to keep same voltage and boost .........?

Regulated device tries to keep same voltage
    er.... u see two batteries in series got double voltage at the start 4.2+4.2 =8.4
    if u' set papa-r to 6 v for instance, this thing theoretically could work till they drains to 3+3=6
    papa-b "boost" - works probably on same principle as LAVATUBE -- can boost voltage from 3.7 up to to 5-6 volts
    i think papa-b is potentially safest device to use IMO

It's series with a step down switching regulator - this is the best way to go according to CraigHB at the ECF;
    Best setup is series batts with a step-down switching regulator. The exception is if you really want to add USB charging. Then boost is better since a single cell makes USB charging easy to do.

From Stig at UKVapers;
    Performance wise and battery life is about the same depending how the user uses them. With the boost one it can be run on just one battery (with a little performance hit ie with duel coils) but can sustain higher voltage as the batteries deplete also the output voltage can be increased more (I've just done one for someone who like to run duel coils & will run upto 5.5v under load as well as HV atty at 8.0+v so the voltage range was 3.6 to 8.4 volts to suits his vaping style).
    The regulated one will go a little higher with duel coil attys but as the battery's run almost flat there will be a slight voltage drop (but you should charge before they go that low anyway).
    Hard to recomend one over the other as I like them both and use both.

It's series with a step down switching regulator - this is the best way to go according to CraigHB at the ECF;
    series (stacking batteries) are potentially more dangerous set up..
    Then boost is better since a single cell makes USB charging easy to do.
    surely , to charge 2 cell in series via usb u need balancing charger -- to make sure each of them charges equally

series (stacking batteries) are potentially more dangerous set up..

Not with protected batteries, even IMR's as long as you're not pushing the mod too far with LR devices.

After vaping since about 9.30am on this mod my batteries are down from 4.1 to 4 volts.
    This was using it fairly frequently at 4.5 volts with a 3ohm carto.

12.55 today - same batteries working perfectly in the mod.

They're down to 3.8 volts and still giving me a bigger hit at 4.5volts than the Lavatube does...

No explosions yet either.

*Thursday morning;

Switched the batteries out even though they were still working because I didn't want the charge to drop too low, the batteries both read 3.5 on the multimeter - after two days of frequent vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Can anyone who understands the working of batteries, tell me if these batteries sound safe/good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-SenyBor-2400mAh-18650-3-7v-2C-4-8A-drain-case-/120867354598?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item1c244177e6

few threads on ukvapers about that brand, seem to be ok
    *shrug*

i only know enough about batteries to know that I should be scared of them :p my aw imr high drain's may be unneccesary brand-whoring according to some, but until i know better they're just what im going to stick with as I can be reasonably sure they come reccomended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 sparkemo

They seem to tick all the right boxes except one.
    They may be too long for the lavatube, at 68.5mm you may not get the end cap on.

Those Senybors are a good purchase - they are basically protected high drains plus the mah rating isn't a lie. They're also one of the only 2c batteries that will fit in a TR-001 charger but only just.

wait, the aw imrs are only 1600 mah
    lol, jesus
    that's some jump in life
    half tempted to get some myself now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Over on another forum (forum slut that I am) I seen whare thoes batteries, the Senybors, are a bit long and the cap dosn't close fully. this fills the gap;
    http://freedomvape.co.uk/shop/article_1164/O-Ring-for-Lavatube.html?shop_param=cid%3D6%26aid%3D1164%26

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?230876-AW-s-LiIon-Batteries-Sales-Thread-*Part-12*
    AW P18650 -31
    it is industrial grade panasonic cells with pcb
    High drain : Max. Discharge Rate : 2C 6.2A, flat top though, not a Button Top ...

They're also one of the only 2c batteries that will fit
    what 2c has to do with the size btw ?
    C= capacity ie 2400mAh
    2C= 2400^2 i.e 4800 mah ( 4.8 A ) discharge rate

I don't think he was saying 2c had anything to do with the size.

Those Senybors are a good purchase - they are basically protected high drains plus the mah rating isn't a lie. They're also one of the only 2c batteries that will fit in a TR-001 charger but only just.

If anyone wants to try these batteries then you can get £5 off if you read this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77461336&posted=1#post77461336

I just got a pair for £8 after discount including postage.

what 2c has to do with the size btw ?
    C= capacity ie 2400mAh
    2C= 2400^2 i.e 4800 mah ( 4.8 A ) discharge rate

Did I say the discharge rating had anything to do with battery size?

Protected 18650's can be 70mm long - this battery happens to be 68.5mm's long - it also happens to be 2C. If you bought the 2800mah version of this battery from this seller(which is also 2C) it wouldn't fit in a TR-001 charger (the charger that everyone with a Lavatube owns) because it's 69.66mm's long.

This is the only protected 2C battery (that this vendor sells) that will fit in a TR-001 charger.

The 2C (double the discharge) rating has nothing to do with battery size, battery protection in conjunction with capacity does.

Do you think that you have to spend €300 on a mod before you're qualified to talk about this stuff?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

wait
    so even though the battery is 2400mah.. it's 4800mah?

so is it almost twice as good as an aw imr 18650 or is it almost 4 times as good in terms of battery life

Advertisement