Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lulzsec caught - 2 Irish members named.

• 06-03-2012 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I caught this on the Fox News website:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/06/hacking-group-lulzsec-swept-up-by-law-enforcement/
    As a result of Monsegur’s cooperation, which was confirmed by numerous senior-level officials, the remaining top-ranking members of LulzSec were arrested or hit with additional charges Tuesday morning. The five charged in the LulzSec conspiracy indictment expected to be unsealed were identified by sources as: Ryan Ackroyd, aka “Kayla” and Jake Davis, aka “Topiary,” both of London; Darren Martyn, aka “pwnsauce” and Donncha O’Cearrbhail, aka “palladium,” both of Ireland; and Jeremy Hammond aka “Anarchaos,” of Chicago.

We met Darren at CampusCon - He gave a talk at the event. Don't know that Donncha lad. Will send Darren a tweet and see what the craic is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If you had told me this morning one of the top ranking leaders of Lulsec was from Galway, I wouldn't have believed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Feckers had nicked my EA account, grr....

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

Knew it would come out eventually... Feck. Oh well... I suppose one cannot hide forever from their past.

I had gone kinda-whitehat just a small bit before my arrest, and since my arrest have worked to try "rehabilitate" self by contributing as much as I can to the open source/security community while I remain at liberty to do so.

We *really* were not too bright (oh, the wonders of hindsight) and I have been regretting it since *before* I got caught.

As I have said in the past - going blackhat is probably the most stupid thing you can do. I had to learn that the hard way.

Funny fact: Topiary suspected Sabu was a narc, 'cos he vanished for a while and when he came back he *never* owned another box. He just did the shouty thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭900913

Last june on sla.ckers.org they were say that Lulzsec might get caught because of copied ASCII art?

http://sla.ckers.org/forum/read.php?11,36420,36420
    There might be a chance they were reckless and were broadcasting their IP when c/p'ing it. One always leave tracks. Matter of correlating stuff. Anyway, worth to try if I were the EF/BEE/EYE .^.^.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Darren bud - If you'd like to do an interview with us for iNetizen, drop me a line. I'm not sure how it would work for or against you defence though (not sure about all the legal mumbo jumbo) - so have a think about it first.

I can say in your defence having only met you at CampusCon that you come across as a decent guy, and a likeable lad. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

• Advertisement

Complaint against Donncha Ó Cearrbhail here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/84134910/Cearrbhail-Donncha-Complaint

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The big question is why are Fine Gael using web hosting from Arizona? Support the local economy, knobs.

infodox wrote: »
    Knew it would come out eventually... Feck. Oh well... I suppose one cannot hide forever from their past.

I had gone kinda-whitehat just a small bit before my arrest, and since my arrest have worked to try "rehabilitate" self by contributing as much as I can to the open source/security community while I remain at liberty to do so.

We *really* were not too bright (oh, the wonders of hindsight) and I have been regretting it since *before* I got caught.

As I have said in the past - going blackhat is probably the most stupid thing you can do. I had to learn that the hard way.

Funny fact: Topiary suspected Sabu was a narc, 'cos he vanished for a while and when he came back he *never* owned another box. He just did the shouty thing.

Do you mind if I ask 1 question? And its not meant to have any implied answer - it's a genuine curiosity.

Why did you do it?? What compelled you? What did you hope to achieve?

I know that seems like 3 questions, but they are 1 and the same.

Seriously, genuine curiosity. If you can't answer for legal reasons - totally understandable. I honestly just don't get it :confused:

Echoing dlofnep's words, I can organise an interview with/on opensource.com. Maybe talk about how/why you got involved, how/why you got caught, how you have learnt it was a dumb thing to do and why hacking legally is the way to go. A bit of press attention can't do any harm. The Eff bee Aye want to print you as being l33t d00dz with all your warez, if the media knows your just a dumb kid who fell into it(no offence!) by hanging out in the wrong IRC channel, you mightt get some more sympathy and therefore a bit of empathy.

PM me if your interested.

• Advertisement

Do you mind if I ask 1 question? And its not meant to have any implied answer - it's a genuine curiosity.

Why did you do it?? What compelled you? What did you hope to achieve?

I know that seems like 3 questions, but they are 1 and the same.

Seriously, genuine curiosity. If you can't answer for legal reasons - totally understandable. I honestly just don't get it :confused:

Well, theres not really a lot to do in Galway if your not into hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

aaaand the retribution starts:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/07/panda_sec_attacked_by_anon/
    In a predictable backlash against the sweep that has netted suspected LulzSec members in America and Europe, Anonymous has defaced some Web pages of the security firm Panda Security.

I know black hat hacking is wrong but its hard not to like a guy who hacks Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

Haven't posted on boards for a bit, but I had to chime in for this one.

I've done some seriously shady things. Nothing like Darren's fine work, but stuff that'd get me locked up. After a big "find" a few months back I became totally paranoid worried about the cops coming to my door. Maybe they still will. Eventually I walked away from the blackhat scene. I even stopped posting on boards totally.

Point being is that Darren's right. Blackhat is a really stupid idea. If you don't get caught, you'll start long to wonder when you will.

There are so many legal ways now to learn the art of hacking.. It pays to stay away from bringing unwanted attention on yourself. I think the majority of people who have dabbled in infosec have engaged in some grey-area things out of curiosity over the years - But I think you learn more if you actually code your own challenges to attack, and toy around with servers at home - It's legal, and you learn alot more about the application from a whitebox and blackbox perspective.

I hope the two lads are given a fair trial here in Ireland. The alleged crime(s) were not committed in the US, and I think that's key when it comes to issues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

if it's any consolation, them releasing the hacked forum account details woke me up to the fact that I was using the same username and password on multiple sites (even though unlike dublin gunner above, my details were not compromised).

At least these guys announced that they had hacked the sites so people could go and revise their password policy and change their passwords (in particular if their email password was the same one that they used on the poorly secured forums). Other hacking groups might have just stolen the usernames and passwords and we'd be none the wiser or they might tell the forum administrator who might decide to avoid the scandal and not inform their customers.

Also, who is to blame for the poor security on those forums?

It's kind of like the phone hacking scandal where it could be argued that the phone companies should be partly to blame for using a default password on everyone's phone mailbox. Nobody seems to point the finger that way and although I dont agree with the way these guys went about their hacking binge, it did remind me that my password security is only as secure as the weakest site that I use it on.

It appears that lad has been released without charge.

Gave an interview to the Irish Times there about the case, and the hacking scene in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I gave it up when I turned 18. I realized the danger of being sent away and the drama that would be for my family wasn't worth it. I hope these lads get off lightly and don't end up getting a ridiculous sentence when US soldiers who kill innocent people get 4 years behind bars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

Honey , not many people appreciate the bravery and selflessness of you and your colleagues' actions.
    I am a mother of three grown up children , two sons, one daughter, all around your age.
    I am proud of you.
    Please tell your mother she has a very special son.

You gave us all a peek into the massive corruption going on behind closed doors , forced us to acknowledge our slavery, and frightened the 1%.

If this country has any gumption , foresight, or ability to see the bigger picture in its' 21 to 29 yr old population, there will be riots , dissent, revolution on the streets of all our major cities in protest against you and your brave colleague's extradition from Eire.

This may well be a catalyst for change in our country and Europe together.

Big change.

I know you will be alright.
    Have no fear, the intelligent, dormant Irish spirit is awakening and is right behind you all the way.

firedancer wrote: »
    Honey , not many people appreciate the bravery.. [snip]...behind you all the way.

Sounds like the start of an e-Rising or e-Rebellion!

Fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

firedancer wrote: »
    Honey , not many people appreciate the bravery and selflessness of you and your colleagues' actions.
    I am a mother of three grown up children , two sons, one daughter, all around your age.
    I am proud of you.
    Please tell your mother she has a very special son.

You gave us all a peek into the massive corruption going on behind closed doors , forced us to acknowledge our slavery, and frightened the 1%.

If this country has any gumption , foresight, or ability to see the bigger picture in its' 21 to 29 yr old population, there will be riots , dissent, revolution on the streets of all our major cities in protest against you and your brave colleague's extradition from Eire.

This may well be a catalyst for change in our country and Europe together.

Big change.

I know you will be alright.
    Have no fear, the intelligent, dormant Irish spirit is awakening and is right behind you all the way.
    Just in case anyone is reading this nonsense and thinking about doing a spot of hacking and ruining their own lives, don't. There's all manner of clowns on the internet who are happy to encourage others into foolish acts but fade away as soon as there's any real trouble.

Panda security Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/PandaUSA?ref=ts
    On March 6th the hacking group LulzSec, part of Anonymous, obtained access to a Panda Security webserver hosted outside of the Panda Security internal network. This server was used only for marketing campaigns and to host some of the company’s blogs. Neither the main website www.pandasecurity.com nor www.cloudantivirus.com were affected in the attack. The attack did not breach Panda Security’s internal network and neither source code, update servers nor customer data was accessed. The only information accessed was related to marketing campaigns such as landing pages and some obsolete credentials, including supposed credentials for employees that have not been working at Panda for over five years.

We continue investigating the cause of the intrusion and will provide more details as soon as they become available. Meanwhile we assure all our customers and partners that none of their information has been compromised and that our products and services continue functioning as normal.

LulzSec hacker opens up over drinks, says FBI informant leader 'took one for team'
    The notorious hacker who helped the FBI bring down his worldwide empire is a martyr who took the rap for the crimes of his colleagues, a LulzSec member told FoxNews.com over beers at a Manhattan dive bar, just hours after learning the news about the shadowy figure known online as “Sabu.”
    “People are freaking out. Everyone’s totally freaking out,” the hacker said. “Everyone’s in shock.”
    While some see Sabu, whose real name is Hector Xavier Monsegur, as a Judas, it seemed that at least in the early shellshocked hours, Sabu’s followers remained loyal to their leader.
    “Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Sabu -- I mean of our generation, he’s going to remembered in history,” the LulzSec hacker said, nursing a beer hours after learning the organization had been dealt the cruelest blow of all. “No one is going to forget him. He’s going to be remembered in history.”
    LulzSec is believed responsible for computer attacks that crippled banks, multi-national corporations and even governments. Fox, Sony and MasterCard were among its corporate scalps, and the international collective also mounted damaging attacks on servers of Yemen, Zimbabwe and even the CIA, taunting its targets from afar as it brought their websites down.

Full story:
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/07/lulzsec-hacker-spills-over-drinks/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 prisoner42

just found this looks like they could do 20 years http://www.galwaynews.ie/24660-galway-hacker-faces-20-years-if-convicted

that's a ridiculous charge I'd prefer to seem them tried in Ireland they would probably just get a slap on the wrist.

Ireland better fight deportation Everyone just keeps rolling over to the Americans I'm sick of them policing the globe.

Is there anything we can do to stop them from getting there hands on them? or did we sign that away with some other treaty we didn't get to vote on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

dlofnep wrote: »
    It appears that lad has been released without charge.

What lad?? And have you a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Ficheall wrote: »
    What lad?? And have you a link?

Seriously? It's all over the net. Check any news source.

The guards probably didn't charge them cause the Feds will. I don't think you can get charged with the same offence twice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

Advertisement