Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles Thread

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Post all comments and general discussion on Thurles here :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I'm an exiled Dub living in Clongour/Rosemount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 slyme

i use to live here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

I spend most of my time here,Especially recently.

Its not the worst place in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 slyme

osullic wrote: »
    I spend most of my time here,Especially recently.

Its not the worst place in the world.

who are you hiding from?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

Ha nobody,just not getting to go abroad as much anymore..Lack of work and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Originally from Thurles, working for a company in Dublin but spend most of my time outside Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm 15 mins in away from Thurles.. I'm on the border of Tipp and Kilkenny :) I go there to shop in Tesco because Kilkenny doesn't have one :(

Does anyone know what happened to the railings on the road side at the Supermacs/TSB corner on Liberty Square.
    Looks like a car ran in to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

I also live about 15mins away from thurles, on the kk/tipp border. Also shop in Tesco cos kk doesn't have one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Asphyxia wrote: »
    I'm 15 mins in away from Thurles.. I'm on the border of Tipp and Kilkenny :) I go there to shop in Tesco because Kilkenny doesn't have one :(
    domkk wrote: »
    I also live about 15mins away from thurles, on the kk/tipp border. Also shop in Tesco cos kk doesn't have one :(

I also live 15 mins from Thurles, near the Tipp/Laois border.

This is like a self help thread... "i an joe and I too live 15 mins from Thurles"

anyway, just thought I would pop in to say that I used to buy a fill of petrol from the garage on the Templemore road, every friday night coming back from the big shop in dunnes. Then last week I bought the gas BBQ in Aldi, and I needed a gas bottle thing. I went to buy it at that garage, bought it no problem, but I didnt know that you had to have an empty one in exchange.
    Again, no problem, expect for the attitude of the man who I assume is the owner (and who I have never had to deal with before) who treated me as if I was stealing the dammed thing. He shouted at me accross the forecourt, took the bottle off me and shouted at the poor woman behind the counter to give me my money back. The only thing he kept repeating was how he wasnt goign to pay money to calor for the bottle, I explained that i had never bought gas before and maybe he should have somehting like a sign. Woman behind the counter didnt know either, but he kept roaring (and I am not exagerating that) about how he would have to pay calor for the bottle and no empty bottle no gas. He then pulled the bottle out of my hand and chained it up.

Anyway, on the way back I called into cambies in templemore who have a notice up about the empty bottles but also say that you can but down a deposit on your first purchase that you get back when you return the bottle. So I did that, no problem, nice and polite. So thats a good example of how you lose a customer for good as i wont be filling up there anymore, nor buying coal and turf which I also used to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

that doesnt surprise me a bit about him. everyone knows hes mad as a box of frogs. he was out sweeping the forecourt in the pitch dark at 1am the other night. sweeping furiously and not a light about the place.

We decided to stay in Thurles this bank holiday weekend so myself and the wife went out for pint last night.
    We don't usually go out for a drink as we're not great drinkers but last night we made an exception.

County bar was dead.
    The Arch was dead also.
    Noel Ryans was lifeless also.
    Kennedy's was busy.

Is Thurles normally this quiet at the weekends? Where do youngsters go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

hinault wrote: »
    We decided to stay in Thurles this bank holiday weekend so myself and the wife went out for pint last night.
    We don't usually go out for a drink as we're not great drinkers but last night we made an exception.

County bar was dead.
    The Arch was dead also.
    Kennedy's was busy.

Can't comment on what it's like all the time but I was back for a night on the 23rd and Noel Ryans was dead but Kennedy's was busy (there was live music). Was surprised at Noels being so quiet especially being the day after good Friday.

My sister goes out most weekends and she tends to go for a few drinks in friends houses and then heads out to Hayes or a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

hinault wrote: »

County bar was dead.
    The Arch was dead also.
    Kennedy's was busy.

Well sice kennedy's opened under the new owners, they seem to have taken the trade from noel ryans, arch wouldn't usually be to busy, county is usually a good spot, big crowd but pub is very small. Coppingers and lars bar prob busy since lar got involved. kennedy's def attracts the crowds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hi, can anyone recommend a supplier of well seasoned Firewood in bulk in Thurles area, log size like the size you'd get in a garage or shop because the stove isn't massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

lived in Thurles, well just outside most my life.
    Not the worst place in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lillymai

HI there just wondering if anyone has applied for the garda vetting jobs in Thurles and heard anything back? there was 10 positions i wonder how many applied??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Well done to Thurles on being named European Town of Sport 2012

http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/2011/1116/thurles.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

How rough is Thurles these days?

How rough is Thurles these days?

I suppose it is as rough as any other city/town.

Having said that there was a very serious assault last saturday night outside Hayes Hotel.

• Advertisement

I used to live in near enough to Thurles. It was always the same undesirables causing trouble. Very sad about that poor young fella the other night.
    I suppose it happened in the Square after closing time.

I used to live in near enough to Thurles. It was always the same undesirables causing trouble. Very sad about that poor young fella the other night.
    I suppose it happened in the Square after closing time.

I was driving through the square on my way back from Dublin at 01.35hrs and ambulances and squad cars were outside Hayes Hotel.

Gardai have the person that they deem responsible for the fatality too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I also live 15 mins from Thurles, near the Tipp/Laois border.

This is like a self help thread... "i an joe and I too live 15 mins from Thurles"

anyway, just thought I would pop in to say that I used to buy a fill of petrol from the garage on the Templemore road, every friday night coming back from the big shop in dunnes. Then last week I bought the gas BBQ in Aldi, and I needed a gas bottle thing. I went to buy it at that garage, bought it no problem, but I didnt know that you had to have an empty one in exchange.
    Again, no problem, expect for the attitude of the man who I assume is the owner (and who I have never had to deal with before) who treated me as if I was stealing the dammed thing. He shouted at me accross the forecourt, took the bottle off me and shouted at the poor woman behind the counter to give me my money back. The only thing he kept repeating was how he wasnt goign to pay money to calor for the bottle, I explained that i had never bought gas before and maybe he should have somehting like a sign. Woman behind the counter didnt know either, but he kept roaring (and I am not exagerating that) about how he would have to pay calor for the bottle and no empty bottle no gas. He then pulled the bottle out of my hand and chained it up.

Anyway, on the way back I called into cambies in templemore who have a notice up about the empty bottles but also say that you can but down a deposit on your first purchase that you get back when you return the bottle. So I did that, no problem, nice and polite. So thats a good example of how you lose a customer for good as i wont be filling up there anymore, nor buying coal and turf which I also used to do.

Nothing new about him. I'd go in before school to get something and he'd just be staring at you as if you were going to rob something. If you go in without buying anything he'd be swearing under his breath at you, he kicked my friends and I out for no reason... We were just waiting in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HotShot Events

Anyone have contact info for Wallop the cat?

Ask in Milleas i'd say. Haven't seen them in a few years myself.

I see they are playing in barrats pub in Kickham St in thurles on this Saturday night:)

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    I see they are playing in barrats pub in Kickham St in thurles on this Saturday night:)

Anything beats going to Hayes.

Anything beats going to Hayes.
    How very dare you!!!:eek: hayes disco, the caesars palace of the south! mind yourself in Barrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Troxck wrote: »
    Nothing new about him. I'd go in before school to get something and he'd just be staring at you as if you were going to rob something. If you go in without buying anything he'd be swearing under his breath at you, he kicked my friends and I out for no reason... We were just waiting in line.

To be fair lads I dont think this is very fair; Thurles is a small town and he is well know and generally accepted that he is not 100% - possibly, I think, as a result of an accident. His family have prob suffered enough from that accident/incident without a faceless internet forum slaging him as well.
    Ya its not the best in a shop/business situation but thats what they have, those of us that are lucky enough to be close to 100% in the head can surely manage to have respect and a bit of understanding for those less fortunate.
    Maybe less rushing to judgement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Does anyone know if anything is going to replace HQ? Last I heard it had closed but I haven't been in Thurles in ages.

Advertisement