Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick-Foynes Rail Line

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

dubhthach wrote: »
    It definetly seems to be quite a big "complex" from what I'm gathering on a quick google. They are spending €10m on drilling boreholes for exploration purposes alone! Of course we forget that Ireland is the 7th largest producer of Zinc in the world (2006 figures) at about 426k tonnes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_zinc_production

There was also a few media articles this week about a potential mine in Co. Clare. I believe its close to the railway line near Quin.

Monday, June 13, 2011
    LUNDIN MINING said yesterday that it has "anticipation of future good results" from a 350sq km silver, lead and zinc prospect it co-owns in Co Clare.

Last Thursday, hopes of establishing a mine at the site received a major boost, with Belmore Resources recommending to its shareholders to accept a €7.2 million cash offer from Lundin to buy out the company. Belmore’s sole asset is the Clare prospect and the offer represents a windfall for its shareholders, 60% of whom are Irish.

Speaking yesterday from Ontario, Lundin Mining’s senior vice-president of exploration and new business development Neil O’Brien said: "If the deposits are there, we will find them and push on to establish it as the next mine for the Lundin Corporation."

Lundin already operates a zinc mine at Galmoy, Co Kilkenny where at its peak over 220 workers were employed.

Lundin’s proposed buy-out of Belmore Resources comes against a background of rising silver value in the past 12 months.

With 12% of the Belmore Resources shares, director Patrick Mahony stands to receive €864,000 from the proposed deal, which requires 80% approval from the company’s shareholders.

The former Bula Resources executive said: "This is a very good deal for the shareholders. Everyone will make money. The model we have created here is a good one."

Mr Mahony — who didn’t take a salary from Belmore Resources — said: "This is a job now for the big boys and Lundin has the resources to invest a lot more in the project."

Mr O’Brien said that Lundin intends to carry out an aggressive programme of drilling at the Clare site this year and already more than 100 drillholes have been completed on the Kilbricken prospecting licence. "We should have a first resource estimate by the end of this year," he added.

Lundin has set aside a budget of $5m for the project this year. Mr O’Brien added that he could not estimate how many jobs the project will generate if it is found there are sufficient deposits to establish a mine.

"It will depend how big the resource is," he said.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

corktina wrote: »
    we dont have €7 never mind €7 million

€375.176 million in 2011 for regional & local roads programme

€55m was announced as being spent on sustainable travel projects last week

€12 extra is being spent on resurfacing in Dublin (including I think at least something like €1.5m of a cross over from sustainable travel announcement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Apparently it's only 10 years approx. since the last freight train ran on this line. As I understand it, Foynes is the second largest port in the country and one where the largest of ocean going ships can berth alongside. It seems illogical that the rail system was disconnected in the first place, especially to a deep sea port.

It is interesting to speculate what would be the scenario if, for example, large quantities of ore materialised and were to be shipped out from Foynes.

Would it not be logical to re-instate the line now, in readiness for such a possible event or will it be a case of 'catch up' like the motorways, which by and large were completed during the boom years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

My only opinion on this line is why, during the most affluent period on our railways, IE management let it fall into dereliction. The same can be said for the lack of real investment in Rosslare - Waterford and Ballybrophy - Killonan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I seem to remember that Galmoy was supposed to be rail-connected too and somehow it got "forgotten" and road was how the zinc was transported - anyone else confirm that?

I suppose IE's price for railconnecting the Lundin deposit will be 100mph doubletracking from Athenry to Limerick Station. Meanwhile they got out of the Silvermines traffic which could have been propping up the Nenagh line now if they were still in it (although they would have already lost the contract due the interminable time it took them to relay and tamp Killonan Jct-Silvermines Jct).

DW (oops put JD there first) - to be fair if Limerick Port didn't resist being moved downstream to Foynes (which would have opened up serious chunks of development land in the city now probably worth 10% of the then price) the port concentration at Foynes would likely have accelerated reopening.

corktina - how much do you reckon it cost Dublin Port to put in that tramway lately? It wasn't free, that's for sure. If the business case is there let it go forward. Problem is - even if the business case is there, IE can just sit on it and delay it until people give up the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Since I started the post above, I did a bit of looking around. If the Lundin deposit pans out it's only about 2-3km from the Ennis-Sixmilebridge section (on google maps look for Ballyglass, Co. Clare). Like Pallas Green there would be option of sending it through Foynes, Belview (perish the thought of revenue traffic via Clonmel spoiling the plan here!) or North Wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

dowlingm wrote: »
    Since I started the post above, I did a bit of looking around. If the Lundin deposit pans out it's only about 2-3km from the Ennis-Sixmilebridge section (on google maps look for Ballyglass, Co. Clare). Like Pallas Green there would be option of sending it through Foynes, Belview (perish the thought of revenue traffic via Clonmel spoiling the plan here!) or North Wall.

Will The foynes to Limerick railway reopen ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Will The foynes to Limerick railway reopen ?

Will you ever give up with your pointless posts? :D

Will you ever give up with your pointless posts? :D
    I have one made one post on this thread. will it reopen or not?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have one made one post on this thread. will it reopen or not?

Its not just this thread, its every other thread you've made virtually identical repetitive posts in/

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not just this thread, its every other thread you've made virtually identical repetitive posts in/

I stop asking if ye answer the question. Will the foyens to limerick railway line ever reopen?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I stop asking if ye answer the question. Will the foyens to limerick railway line ever reopen?

NO! Nor will any of the others you've asked about, and you didn't stop asking when given the same answer tens of times in the Tralee Bypass thread either.

NO! Nor will any of the others you've asked about, and you didn't stop asking when given the same answer tens of times in the Tralee Bypass thread either.
    How long will i be banned from the tralee bypass thread?

NO! Nor will any of the others you've asked about, and you didn't stop asking when given the same answer tens of times in the Tralee Bypass thread either.[/QUOTE How long will i be banned from the tralee bypass thread?

Try this forum if you like acting the goat. you'll fit in well there. :D

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?act=home

Try this forum if you like acting the goat. you'll fit in well there. :D

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?act=home

How do i become a moderator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

How long will i be banned from the tralee bypass thread?

Your ban is for a further 5 months.

When you first started posting in Roads you were given this politely worded piece of advice:
    Tremelo wrote: »
    stevielenihan, a few things:

As with all message boards, you should not repeat the same post multiple times. When you ask a question, you need only ask it once. Wait a few days for someone to answer it. If after a few days no one has answered your question, feel free to ask it again.

Also, it would help if you added a bit more to your posts than random questions with little or no accompanying comments.

I suggest you take this advice. Continue to post in the same no-content, pointless style and you'll be getting a ban from here too. Only warning you're getting.

Is it the modretor that banned me?

How do you ban someone?

It doesnt say how to ban someone there

Don't worry I think you'll find out soon. :D

• Advertisement

Don't worry I think you'll find out soon. :D

What do you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm sorry Stevie, but for the greater good I'm going to restrict your access until next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

So.. anymore news about this reopening or was it just some rumor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Just a rumour I'd imagine. There's talk of converting it into a busway in the new MWASP (Mid-Western Area Strategic Plan). Appendix C.

http://www.mwasp.ie/documents/consultation/MWASP_DRAFTReport_09012012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Ahh another good idea that might benefit the country down the toilet typical of the past few years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Busway wheeeeeeee. Not a greenway then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a busway to Foynes? yeah right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Had another look at that (very long) document and it's more of a suggestion that a busway to Mungret and a greenway to Foynes are possible uses for the line.
    I wonder would that busway be a viable alternative to the controversial southern green route in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Was at the concrete works in Limerick Fri & there was a non-stop procession of heavy lorries going in & out - it's a disgrace the railway was allowed to pull out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

On the face of it, but did the railway go where those lorries were heading?

Advertisement