Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft Guns

• 20-02-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm a final year film student in DIT Aungier Street. We're shooting our graduating film at the end of March. The film, titled The Red Bear, is set in 1992 at the outbreak of the Bosnian War.

There is a scene in the film involving four Serb paramilitary troops and we'd like to have the weapons we use in the film as authentic as possible.

I don't know much about airsoft rifles but I'm told that there are AK-47 replicas out there.

Does anybody know where we could get some? We'd need about 2-3 of them if possible.

Regards,
    Max

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Before you ever get your hands on replicas, you need to ask:
    • Will these be brandished in a public place?
    • Will these be brandished in such a way that the public can still see them - i.e. windows and the like
    • How will these be transported to/from your intended film location
    • Have the local Gardai/council/whomever been informed with times, dates, and what they can expect to see & why?

I ask because my local site was approached a couple of months back with a similar request where the student film-makers wanted a "SWAT" team for a scene. Only problem was they hadn't done any homework on the matter and wanted all of this to take place outside a house in a residential area without having considered any of the implications or logistics required.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Hey,

No I haven't contacted the Gardaí yet because the locations for the shoot have yet to be finalized.

Regardless of what location we use the replicas will be used in a woodland area so public viewing of the weapons will be minimal.

The replicas would be transported by the same van that we use to transport the film equipment.

Do you know if the Gardaí require a liaison on set for such replicas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Yes, you can get very authentic AK-47's, and AKM's etc that will be more than sufficient for your needs...however, are you looking to buy or rent them? Most stores will not part with gear on a rental basis (high risk), and similarly most airsofters will be themselves a little reluctant.

High end replicas look extremely authentic, but will run you back several hundred euro. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to contact airsoft sites directly, and ask can you film on location, and see if you can get Airsofters with the desired rifles come by, so that they can supervise the handling of their 'babies'

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Hey Inari,

Cheers for that suggestion. You wouldn't have any links to the main airsoft sites in the Dublin area by any chance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

Hey there,

I'm a final year film student in DIT Aungier Street. We're shooting our graduating film at the end of March. The film, titled The Red Bear, is set in 1992 at the outbreak of the Bosnian War.

There is a scene in the film involving four Serb paramilitary troops and we'd like to have the weapons we use in the film as authentic as possible.

I don't know much about airsoft rifles but I'm told that there are AK-47 replicas out there.

Does anybody know where we could get some? We'd need about 2-3 of them if possible.

Regards,
    Max

Have you considered contacting the Airsoft Soc in DIT? I know a few of the lads there use AK's and they might be willing to help out. You can get their contact details from James down in the socs office in the SU in Aungier
    street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Jayo123

Bernie Mac wrote: »
    Have you considered contacting the Airsoft Soc in DIT? I know a few of the lads there use AK's and they might be willing to help out. You can get their contact details from James down in the socs office in the SU in Aungier
    street

ye i know a few of the lads in DIT. they have an airsoft team (DIT airsoft), they might be able to help you out, for AK´s thopugh, im not sure, i think one of them has an AK.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Jayo123 wrote: »
    Bernie Mac wrote: »
    street

ye i know a few of the lads in DIT. they have an airsoft team (DIT airsoft), they might be able to help you out, for AK´s thopugh, im not sure, i think one of them has an AK.

Also try Airsoft retailers. You'd be surprised what a free plug can do for you.
    And to answer lemmings concerns above - I'd imagine you understand the meaning of closed set.

Advertisement