Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gryphoceratops, smallest leptoceratopsid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Saw the image before the text and thought, "Small?!!?!?"

Wait, I'm confused. Is it called Gryphoceratops or Gryphognathus?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wait, I'm confused. Is it called Gryphoceratops or Gryphognathus?
    Well the original name was Gryphognathus but now it seems they changed it to Gryphoceratops :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Doesn't ceratops imply a horn existed? I don't see any in that image?

dlofnep wrote: »

Technically yes, ceratops does mean 'horned face', but the name seems to be the 'go to' for all ceratopsian dinosaurs (Protoceratops means 'first horned face' despite not having any horns or even being the first ceratopsian), much like how many dinosaurs have 'saurus' in their names despite not being lizards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

dlofnep wrote: »

It is as Galvasean says, but plus, the image is of an Udanoceratops, not a Gryphoceratops/Gryphognathus. None of them had horns as far as we know, tho.

Thread title changed for the sake of posterity.

More info on Grypoceratops and the (IMO) badly, badly named Unescoceratops:

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2012/03/12/scientists.name.2.new.species.horned.dinosaur

Advertisement