Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While this is still only Whedon's second major movie, the first was a modern sci-fi classic, better than the majority of the Star Wars movie IMO [ANH and ESB still better than Serenity]. If he can come close to that, the fanboys will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

One thing to remember about that, though, is that with Serenity, Whedon was working with characters he created. He'll be a little more restricted with The Avengers. I do think he's defo the right man for the job though!

I reckon this will be better than Captain America anyway. My fave of the lead up movies was Thor. I think they all slightly suffered from being origin stories that then needed to tack on a final battle in the end to bring them to a crescendo and, for me, Thor was the only one that kept up the quality.

Iron Man was crap in the last 30 mins.
    The Incredible Hulk final battle was cool but just a little boring.
    Iron Man 2 final battle sucked balls.
    Captain America just kinda suddenly ended out of nowhere.

With Thor, the character's identity was already defined; there was no "how do I get used to my powers" crap either. His arc was centred around getting comfortable with not being a superhero, in a way. The final battle was just kind of a return to form but him
    defeating the big metal dude
    wasn't really the crescendo of the story; his
    sacrificing his life and thus becoming worthy of the hammer again
    was the peak.

Kinda rambled off-topic there.... Basically, if Whedon can make me enjoy The Avengers as much as I enjoyed Thor, I'll be chuffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 oh_nos

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thats exactly the part I had in mind!

Here it is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zFsxSH8fUA

Apologies, I would embed but I think this is the third time I've posted this clip on here in various threads :P
    Got a name for this episode/movie? My little bro would be delighted to see the whole thing (and so would I lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

oh_nos wrote: »
    Got a name for this episode/movie? My little bro would be delighted to see the whole thing (and so would I lol)

Its the very last episode of the Justice League Unlimited cartoon (itself a sequel to the Justice League cartoon, itself a sequel to the Superman cartoon). Well worth watching all whole series, its got a lot of great fight scenes and the plot line that leads up to that final fight actually started in the superman cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

One thing to remember about that, though, is that with Serenity, Whedon was working with characters he created. He'll be a little more restricted with The Avengers. I do think he's defo the right man for the job though!

I reckon this will be better than Captain America anyway. My fave of the lead up movies was Thor. I think they all slightly suffered from being origin stories that then needed to tack on a final battle in the end to bring them to a crescendo and, for me, Thor was the only one that kept up the quality.

Iron Man was crap in the last 30 mins.
    The Incredible Hulk final battle was cool but just a little boring.
    Iron Man 2 final battle sucked balls.
    Captain America just kinda suddenly ended out of nowhere.

With Thor, the character's identity was already defined; there was no "how do I get used to my powers" crap either. His arc was centred around getting comfortable with not being a superhero, in a way. The final battle was just kind of a return to form but him
    defeating the big metal dude
    wasn't really the crescendo of the story; his
    sacrificing his life and thus becoming worthy of the hammer again
    was the peak.

Kinda rambled off-topic there.... Basically, if Whedon can make me enjoy The Avengers as much as I enjoyed Thor, I'll be chuffed!

the great thing about whedon is he loves the characters so its not like he had to do extensive research on em.

a couple of years ago he did a few arcs on an X men book created soley for him (astonishing xmen) and it showed a great appreciation of the marvel universe. fox even nicked some of the ideas and characters from that to make X3 - though needless to say buggered that up.

if whedon can do with avengers what he did with serenity i.e reintroduce characters and their relationships in a film that'd appeal to fans of the firefly show and general cinema going public ill be happy.

hell i didnt SEE any of firefly before serenity and slid right into their universe and got their relationships right of the batt. it was fun to watch the series and learn more, but i got the core of them up in that film.

the bloke has to juggle giving us a good adventure like that, and not relying on everyone having seen ironman/cap/thor/hulk. then he's gotta universe build a bit too boot to properly set shield , nick fury and co in stone, along with the villains.

no mean feat but i think he can pull it off.

more than that the last trailer for the film genuinely does look like were getting a threat that could only be beaten by all the lads together as opposed to "iron man 3 : meet me mates ".

this is an ensemble piece where hopefully theyll all get to shine and with , like youve said, many of the origins already in place im starting to get a really good feeling that this will kick arse.

hell its something i think whedon himself would HATE to **** up as its basically a fanboy dream to do and he's got the gig.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Supposedly a new trailer out in 3 days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

April 26th for the UK release... but with a new name if the new poster is anything to go by.

317608.png

For contrast, the US poster released today as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Avengers Assemble? WTF?

It is rather awful as a title. A tagline is historically bearable, but a title?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Godawful photoshopping of course; par for the course really, but I still get a pang of disappointment each time it happens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Perhaps they did this to avoid confusion with the '60s TV show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I shall be calling it 'Avemble' from now on.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Surely its just the tagline?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

No, its the new british title, because of Lumley et al.

Anyone see the dates? The UK (and hopefully us) get it a week before the yanks!

If you look at the credits at the bottom of the UK poster it still says "Marvel's The Avengers". So it looks like the title change was a last minute thing. I suspect there's probably copyright issues that are still being dealt with. Or who knows, maybe it's a mistake. I mean, whoever did the poster obviously thinks Captain America is a giant. I thought the X-Men: First Class poster was bad, but this is even worse. Marvel clearly don't want us to go see this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Giant Cap', gotta love it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

April 26th for the UK release... but with a new name if the new poster is anything to go by.

317608.png

For contrast, the US poster released today as well.
    is Captain America becoming Ant Man all of a sudden? I mean Chris Evans has already been the Human Torch so what's stopping him? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well one would think any clash of names would have been dealt with ages ago - I mean this film has been planned for years now, it's not like they haven't had the time to sort out any fiddly naming problems. Maybe they're just afraid people will think this is a re-release of that awful Avengers movie adaptation

Trailer 2 is now up on Apple's trailer site. Nothing on the official YouTube channel yet.

Some regional trailers but no UK specific one to verify the possible new name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Marvel UK&Ireland youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarvelUK?feature=watch

Trailer looks really bad. Starting to look like a Michael Bay movie.... Hopefully it's just the way it's edited...

• Advertisement

Title's official.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Like the new trailer.
    Love the way
    the Hulk jumps through the air to catch Iron Man, would expect him to say something like "Hulk save puny tin man again"
    Also seems it is not just
    Cap and Thor fighting but Iron Man also
    interested to see what that is all about.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Marvel UK&Ireland youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarvelUK?feature=watch

Trailer looks really bad. Starting to look like a Michael Bay movie.... Hopefully it's just the way it's edited...

That trailer has me stoked. that thing at the end looks like something out of Transformers/Battleship alright but other than that there was more character drama in that trailer than the three tranformers movies put together :P

They'll use the action to sell this but I wouldn't worry about that at all, I expect plenty of mini dramas happening within the team.

Well based on that page the UK title is "Marvel Avengers Assemble". Why "Marvel" and not "Marvel's"? It sounds stupid.

And who is Renner's character again? I get why Johansson is there, but some guy with a bow and a silly costume, really? I'm not a comic book reader as you can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'll take the stupid name to get it a week before America.

Well based on that page the UK title is "Marvel Avengers Assemble". Why "Marvel" and not "Marvel's"? It sounds stupid.

And who is Renner's character again? I get why Johansson is there, but some guy with a bow and a silly costume, really? I'm not a comic book reader as you can tell.

He's Hawkeye, he had a brief shoe horned in cameo in Thor. He's a pretty big character in the comics. He's basically Marvel's version of The Green Arrow from DC's Justice League, no powers as such just a superhuman level of accuracy when it comes to shooting arrows and whatever else he gets his hands on.

Thanos wrote: »
    Like the new trailer.
    Love the way
    the Hulk jumps through the air to catch Iron Man, would expect him to say something like "Hulk save puny tin man again"
    Also seems it is not just
    Cap and Thor fighting but Iron Man also
    interested to see what that is all about.

Probably
    Loki using some mind control

Come at me bro!

legolas17.jpg

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Probably
    Loki using some mind control
    Training exercise would be my guess.

Advertisement