Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Wales 4pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wales should have had at least 3 yellow cards in the last couple of minutes there. That coupled with the tmo decision, England are very unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Never thought I'd say this but I'm actually sorry for England... Seeing them after the game you could tell they really gave everything. From the poxiest bounce you will ever see in test rugby for Williams' try to an unlucky bounce which North got to down the other end, to that last play where I personally thought it looked from the angle behind that Strettle grounded it. England were the better team and after that I hope Wales don't win the slam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

ongarite wrote: »
    Have to drop Priestland. He was shocking again today.

Why isnt Hook on the bench?

He has the pox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

matthew8 wrote: »
    Wales should have had at least 3 yellow cards in the last couple of minutes there. That coupled with the tmo decision, England are very unlucky.

And slapping the ball out of play as well as 2 knock ons that were missed.

Same old England though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The thing that will really annoy England is that North could have binned and a penalty try awarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I think thats robbery, from the angle behind the goal it shows strettle got it down.

You may see him grounding it, but from that angle it doesn't show what side of the line it is on, so it can't be given. It was inconclusive, no angle showed the ball being grounded on or behind the line so a try couldn't be given.

Really enjoyed that match. Very exciting match. England played well, and towards the end when things got tough, Wales showed good composure. Warburton had a great game, a great example set by the captain. Youngs was a disaster when he came on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

There was a case for a penalty try at the end. Adam Jones pulled down a maul that was motoring and a few yards short of getting over the line. He should have been binned at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

danthefan wrote: »
    I thought it was a try.

How can you get downward pressure if your hand is under the ball though?

No try for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I think a draw would have been the right outcome there. If I was England I would feel a little bit robbed.

Great game of rugby. Warburton is like a warrior out of myth. He always puts his body on the line. England finally putting in a good performance, the likes of which we haven't seen from them in many, many years. Good team selection there I think.

It seems very unfair tbh that England didn't get a chance to take the attacking scrum at the end.. So if it was a penalty they'd have been allowed take it but an attacking scrum they couldn't? Also that last play involved some of the most cynical defending I've ever seen any team do. Surely there was a penalty advantage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Some shocking decisions. Let alone the try the Wales player (can't remember which one) should have at least been binned for knocking the ball out away from strettle.

Such a pity that all you need to do to win a triple crown is beat Scotland on your own merit.

GerM wrote: »
    There was a case for a penalty try at the end. Adam Jones pulled down a maul that was motoring and a few yards short of getting over the line. He should have been binned at the very least.

Yeah he was warned just beforehand too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jaysus that's three games in a row that Wales have had tremendous luck with officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Welshman666

i was happy anyway. Hope they get Grand Slam but France will be tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

How can you get downward pressure if your hand is under the ball though?

No try for me.

A player only has to touch the ground with the ball, no downward pressure required, that's what the laws say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Some shocking decisions. Let alone the try the Wales player (can't remember which one) should have at least been binned for knocking the ball out away from strettle.

Such a pity that all you need to do to win a triple crown is beat Scotland on your own merit.

In fairness, the TMO was right. And North did nothing wrong stopping Strettle getting to the ball like that. There was mention of Bowe getting binned for doing it, but he intentionally knocked it forward into touch, whereas North tapped it backwards. No rule against intentionally putting the ball in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Surley wrote: »
    A player only has to touch the ground with the ball, no downward pressure required, that's what the laws say.

Thats very important here. Maybe should have been a try.

22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL
    There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
    (a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Feel for England. They tried to play an attractive exciting brand of rugby and it was all going so well until Farrell took the knock.

Shows how the games regressed in terms of player depth in England though that they can't beat a Welsh team on an off day at home playing their best rugby

Too many average or overrated players and aside from Farrell not too much young talent coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Those last 10 minutes almost killed me.

Overall that was a fantastic game, Halfpenny played wonderfully imo.

Felt for England at the end, but I really don't think the ball was grounded properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

GerM wrote: »
    Congrats Wales. Worthy Triple Crown champions 2012.

It certainly takes some of the sting out of our exit from the World Cup last October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Too many average or overrated players and aside from Farrell not too much young talent coming through

Some of their young players really haven't stepped up at all. Their underage teams have been miles better than anyone else's bar New Zealand for years now.

I really hope for the good of rugby that England can learn from this and come to be a force again in the near future. Farrell looks the part at ten and Tuilagi was immense. Barrett goes through a mountain of work and Dickson looked lively. However, they have to drop Youngs completely as well as the likes of Dowson. Parling isn't up to it. Stevens was shocking for the penalty he gave away too.

I'd say this was the best England played in the tournament since France in 09

tolosenc wrote: »
    In fairness, the TMO was right. And North did nothing wrong stopping Strettle getting to the ball like that. There was mention of Bowe getting binned for doing it, but he intentionally knocked it forward into touch, whereas North tapped it backwards. No rule against intentionally putting the ball in touch.

In fairness the TMO was right in your opinion not in everyones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Lapin wrote: »
    It certainly takes some of the sting out of our exit from the World Cup las October.

how ? we lost to them agin since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

chris85 wrote: »
    Thats very important here. Maybe should have been a try.

22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL
    There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
    (a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

It was a try I am convinced. Strettle twists his arm after the initial tackle and grounds the ball. The is no way the video ref should be the nationality of either of the teams playing. If he gives a decision for his home nation like that you have to question his integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Definite try. Angle from behind and touchline under the guy holding the black bag show it in freeze frame.... which im sure will show up in the press tomorrow.

at same time they are classy Wales, best of the home nations this season, and we all take the luck where we can get it. final try by scott williams was pure genius.

England shot themselves during the yellow card, as did we.
    Hope France can turn them over, as long as we in turn turn France over next week... if that makes sense./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Some of their young players really haven't stepped up at all. Their underage teams have been miles better than anyone else's bar New Zealand for years now.

Flood is probably case in point but you could name dozens more

Hartley was touted as a future lion but has developed into nothing more than an average International hooker

Dan Cole was highly touted too but in reality he's not even a great scrummager, Healy did a job on him and Castro is keeping him off the Leicester team

Botha is a guy who probably wouldn't get near any other teams squad with the exception of Italy (although he wasn't bad today infairness)

Dylan Armitage, ironic that he got all the hype considering his brother immensely more talented than him

andrewdcs wrote: »
    Definite try. Angle from behind and touchline under the guy holding the black bag show it in freeze frame.... which im sure will show up in the press tomorrow.

at same time they are classy Wales, best of the home nations this season, and we all take the luck where we can get it. final try by scott williams was pure genius.

England shot themselves during the yelow card, as did we. Hope France can turn them over, as long as we in turn turn France over next week... if that makes sense./

Was it though? Great play to rip the ball off Lawes alright but I've rarely seen a more poxy bounce in a rugby game before. I suppose it goes to show how a stroke of luck can win a game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Was it though? Great play to rip the ball off Lawes alright but I've rarely seen a more poxy bounce in a rugby game before. I suppose it goes to show how a stroke of luck can win a game

Like Tommy Bowe's bounce in Cardiff 2009?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Good teams make their luck. Wales have an almost Australian feel these days, they just seem to be able to wangle their way out of tight situations. That comes from having the wherewithal to change your tactics in the middle of a game. England should have won but their defence, otherwise highly effective, was vulnerable to short kicks and Wales figured that out.

The Welsh did seem to pull down an English maul there at the end. Whenever that happens, it should be punished.

Strettle looks almost good enough for international rugby but not quite; like Monye and Cueto, he was found wanting when his team needed him to close the deal. He has no momentum when tackled either. I didn't think it was a try.
    Tuilagi's game is improving, with more variety now, and Barritt's tackling was impressive. He not only stopped players but often sent them backwards as well. They will be a big problem for us. As will Courtney Lawes if he remembers not to give the ball away.

Advertisement