Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: PS Vita... Is it trolling if...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well we've had it in our store for a couple days and as an employee I get to play with it until it launches on wednesday. All I can say about it is its nice feeling, has good cameras and I like the it has a touch screen AND a touch back (makes some games neat). The graphics are good for a portable, but the loading times suck. They used low quality flash memory for these games, thats in addition to yet another proprietary memory card format, when mSD was the same size, and available in multiple performance levels. For the same amount of money, I would rather a 7" Iconia tablet and load it up with games. Unless I am missing something about its appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the loading times are grand once you download the patches. most of them have been live over here for a week, but i believe they'll go live over there tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

First ad I hear on the radio about ps vita. What happened with marketing campaigns? Really really not alot of info outside internet about it.

Them again, is it me or there is more hype around ps vita launch, then it was around 3ds launch? Maybe ps vita will do fine in eu/us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Right lads I'm not picking up any of the launch titles as they don't particularly do it for me, i'll probably pick up uncharted when it's cheaper. Will be getting Gravity Rush when it's up on PSN alright!!

So for now can ye recommend me some good psp games I might have missed out on that I can pick up on PSN?? I have a U.S account so can grab em from there if needed!!

Also what's the story with PSone games? Does the Vita support them? Hearing conflicting info on this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Big Knox wrote: »
    Right lads I'm not picking up any of the launch titles as they don't particularly do it for me, i'll probably pick up uncharted when it's cheaper. Will be getting Gravity Rush when it's up on PSN alright!!

You should get Rayman Origins if you do not already have it for the PS3. Fantastic platformer.
    So for now can ye recommend me some good psp games I might have missed out on that I can pick up on PSN?? I have a U.S account so can grab em from there if needed!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/09/here-are-the-psp-games-that-will-work-on-vita-at-launch/

From that list, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Patapon are probably the best.
    Also what's the story with PSone games? Does the Vita support them? Hearing conflicting info on this one!!

While it currently does not support PSOne titles, it will 'soon' according to Sony.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/02/18/sony-psone-classics-on-vita-soon/

• Advertisement

Is rayman direct port or choped down of console version? I am looking forward t rayman more then that flipping uncharted.

Good to hear that the will add Psone games in to ps vita. I can't believe they did this **** up in the first place!

Is rayman direct port or choped down of console version? I am looking forward t rayman more then that flipping uncharted.

Good to hear that the will add Psone games in to ps vita. I can't believe they did this **** up in the first place!

As far as I know the only thing missing is multiplayer!!

Resi 2 is up on the US PSN, cant wait to get that and ff7 going on it!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

What's the story with the pricing for 3g services for the WiFi+3g model over here? I hear it's provided by Vodafone, but how do you get charged, how often, and how much?

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    What's the story with the pricing for 3g services for the WiFi+3g model over here? I hear it's provided by Vodafone, but how do you get charged, how often, and how much?

If you got iPhone or android with data plan then just get wifi ps vita. Use your phone as modem and connect to it by wifi. So one bill, not two.

No idea haven't looked into it, I plan on using 3g from my phone as an access point when needed.

If you have a smart phone on bill and have a decent data package it's a great way to get 3g access and save money on the vita as you only need the wireless model.

Edit: Snap!!

• Advertisement

Might do that, I rarely use my full data allowance on my phone.

But is there any information online at all about the 3g pricing?
    No idea haven't looked into it

I have looked into it and I can't find anything though, which seems very odd and annoying.

Ok, the only information online about this seems to be over in the Vodafone forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056530554&page=2

So it's just regular data plan rates, which are pretty expensive. It would be a waste to buy the 3G model if you're already paying the same amount of money for data a month for a phone you already have. May as well just tether and use that data you're already paying for.

Otherwise it's costing you the price of keeping two smartphones going, except one of them isn't a phone, probably uses less data, and has a browser that is apparently worse than modern smartphone browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ok, the only information online about this seems to be over in the Vodafone forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056530554&page=2

So it's just regular data plan rates, which are pretty expensive. It would be a waste to buy the 3G model if you're already paying the same amount of money for data a month for a phone you already have. May as well just tether and use that data you're already paying for.

Otherwise it's costing you the price of keeping two smartphones going, except one of them isn't a phone, probably uses less data, and has a browser that is apparently worse than modern smartphone browsers.

Vodafone have a 3G for 200 euro with a free copy of Wipeout if you go Bill. Or 299 with free wipeout if you go pay as you go and top up by 20 euro AFAIK.

Bills have different data allowances but i would expect 1gb would be standard for it. Not sure how much it uses gaming i would expect a lot.

Vodafone have a 3G for 200 euro with a free copy of Wipeout if you go Bill. Or 299 with free wipeout if you go pay as you go and top up by 20 euro AFAIK.

Bills have different data allowances but i would expect 1gb would be standard for it. Not sure how much it uses gaming i would expect a lot.

Not a hope you will be able to play games over 3g, nowhere near the bandwidth and speed needed. It's really just for PSN / Browser usage.

Not a hope you will be able to play games over 3g, nowhere near the bandwidth and speed needed. It's really just for PSN / Browser usage.

It's more the latency that will be the problem. Plenty of bandwidth(realitively speaking), but horrible horrible ping.

Let's be honest. 3G is not for Ireland, we barely getting proper broadband on this island :(

3g is rubbish everywhere

sure they're not even releasing the 3g model here in canada til later in the year - the head of ps canada was honest enough to tell me that they dont want to put it out when it's essentially useless, since no games will be playable online for a long while yet

Helix wrote: »
    3g is rubbish everywhere

sure they're not even releasing the 3g model here in canada til later in the year - the head of ps canada was honest enough to tell me that they dont want to put it out when it's essentially useless, since no games will be playable online for a long while yet

Fair play to be honest.

Fair play to be honest.

the single biggest complaint you're going to see on here in the next few months about the vita will be about 3g - ill guarantee it. agree though, fair play to ps canada - i think it's the biggest territory that isn't releasing the 3g system

Helix wrote: »
    the single biggest complaint you're going to see on here in the next few months about the vita will be about 3g - ill guarantee it. agree though, fair play to ps canada - i think it's the biggest territory that isn't releasing the 3g system

In US they were pushing 3G models like crazy as demand for them was very low.

I am really looking forward to tommorow.

I have to say it Might be one of the best launch line ups for any new console. Then you got psp titles on launch day. If they would have ps1 games too, then it would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,835 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Actually that is the stated aim of the AT&T 3G Connect on the PS Vita in the US. Multiplayer gaming.

Overheal wrote: »
    Multiplayer gaming.

not a single game available for the system so far, nor any announced so far, actually supports 3g gaming

Overheal wrote: »
    Actually that is the stated aim of the AT&T 3G Connect on the PS Vita in the US. Multiplayer gaming.

AT&T may be able to pull it off in the U.S but we are light years away from seeing 3g online gaming in Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I thought Everybody's Golf supports some sort of turn-based 3g gameplay, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

ghostchant wrote: »
    I thought Everybody's Golf supports some sort of turn-based 3g gameplay, no?

Similar to Words with Friends, just with golf instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Couldn't really expect anything more with a golf game. Nice to see it being used nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

AT&T may be able to pull it off in the U.S but we are light years away from seeing 3g online gaming in Ireland!!

AT&T suck compared to any countries phone provides, they are large and have theoretical good coverage.

Do you remember the booing when Sony announced it was with them, or the mass of people who left them as soon as the iphone was available on other networks.

Varik wrote: »
    AT&T suck compared to any countries phone provides, they are large and have theoretical good coverage.

Do you remember the booing when Sony announced it was with them, or the mass of people who left them as soon as the iphone was available on other networks.

To be honest I was just speaking in a hypothetical sense to compare Irelands 3g services to what is available abroad, using AT&T as the comparison as they are the ones talked about most when it comes to Vita 3g usage.

I actually have no clue what they are like as a network provider, they could be as bad as what's available in Ireland!! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

AT+T are the 3 of america :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

AT+T are the 3 of america :D

Actually Sprint are the 3 of America (same company :pac:)

Advertisement